Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker DD6 Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:49 PM
2wheelrider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baker DD6 Install

So I finished installing my baker DD6 last week and wanted to give a little update on how the job went. The most important tool in my tool box was the clymer harley manual that I've had since I bought my bike 4 years ago. The rest of the special tools needed cost me about $250.00. I also bought a large 3/4" socket set from harbor freight tools to remove the compensating nut. I also took the 1 7/8" socket to my welder and had him cut and weld it into a 6" deep socket for the transmission main shaft nut. All in all I paid just a little less for the socket set and the weld job then it would have cost me for a Jim's main shaft socket.
Removing the old gear set was easy. Nothing was stuck or froze up so I think I got off easy. I've read were others have had hard time getting things to come apart.
Putting the new gear set was a little bit harder. One of the gears on the counter shaft hit the case so I had to pull out the gear set to clearance the case. Its best to check that the gears spin freely in the case before installing the shift forks cause the fork on the main shaft closest to the main drive gear is a bi*ch to get into place (found that out the hard way). Installing that fork is a lot easier if when installing the gear set into the case you put the fork into place when you have the gear set about half way into the case. Be sure to support the gear set wile installing the fork so you don't damage the seal in the main gear were the shaft goes through.
It took me about 15 hours total to do the job and I could do it in less time if I had to do it over now that I now what to expect.
So... I bought the gear set (retail $2495.00) for $1995.00 from USmotoman shipped to my door so with the tools and other gaskets & seals needed I spent less than $2400.00 for the hole job, The local Indy shop wanted between $650-700 bucks just for labor so the incentive to do the job myself was great.
I had to buy a recalibration unit to adjust my spedo which cost $100.00 (forgot to add that)
Overall the baker gear set was a good investment. It shifts much smoother than the old 5 speed with less play between shifts. I can now run at 80mph at 3000rpm whitch is perfect for those long runs I plan for this summer.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:41 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts
Default enjoy

Baker makes great parts.Change your tranny oil after the first 200 miles and it will last forever.