Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

transmission main shaft oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 AM
eddbenson
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission main shaft oil leak.

I have a '99 Road King and was wondering if there supposed to be transmission oil on the splines of the main shaft?

My transmission sprocket stripped out and I am replacing it and I keep cleaning oil off of the main shaft splines and oil keeps returning. I was wondering if this is normail or not? Or is one of my transmission seals bad?

Please advise,

Thanks,
edd

Old 06-19-2012, 12:42 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by eddbenson
I have a '99 Road King and was wondering if there supposed to be transmission oil on the splines of the main shaft?

My transmission sprocket stripped out and I am replacing it and I keep cleaning oil off of the main shaft splines and oil keeps returning. I was wondering if this is normail or not? Or is one of my transmission seals bad?

Please advise,

Thanks,
edd
No, it 's not normal; you have leak. Could be the mainshaft seal, quad ring or mainshaft/5th gear seal; you should replace them all. Might as well replace shifter shaft seal and jackshaft bolt washer/seal while you are at it. You should also check the proximity of the inner primary race as it can walk in to the mainshaft/5th gear seal and cause that seal to leak. If there is not enough room between the inner race and the seal to set a puller, the race has walked in and could be the cause of the leak. So, you may need to replace the inner primary race, seal and bearing as well. Parts are cheap, just a lot of work.

Last edited by djl; 06-19-2012 at 12:44 PM.