Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Grind on takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Encosi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grind on takeoff

I am getting a grind on take off. It sounds as though it is coming from the primary maybe the tranny. This sound happens, when taking off in first, when downshifting hard, only while in friction zone.

This I know; belt is tight, rear sprocket is not loose, front sprocket is good, belt is not damaged, upon inspection of parts inside the primary nothing showed any abnormal wear to the naked eye. Inner primary bearing is a little "chucky" and is being replace as well as the race. But this is not the cause of this sound.

What do you guys think?

Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,967 Likes on 1,717 Posts

What year bike? Compensator possibly?

Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

If it were my bike, I would not reassemble the primary until I was sure all the internals of the primary drive and transmission were in good working order.

Removing the primary drive is the most difficult part of a gearset removal, so you might as well get inside the transmission now, the gaskets for that part of the job are cheap.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Throw out bearing?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Encosi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
What year bike? Compensator possibly?

It is a 2007

Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a similar issue right before loosing my clutch. Ended up being the throwout bearing on the right side clutch cover fell apart and did not allow enough action from the ball and ramp to disengage the clutch, should have looked further. 8 months later I was replacing the inner primary bearing, found the tranny mainshaft bearing toasted and the 2 little bearings inside 5th gear had slid in and almost together. Bottom line, before i realized what happened, every bearing in and on the mainshaft was fried and the tranny case cracked out around the mainshaft bearing.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scrmnvtwins
I had a similar issue right before loosing my clutch. Ended up being the throwout bearing on the right side clutch cover fell apart and did not allow enough action from the ball and ramp to disengage the clutch, should have looked further. 8 months later I was replacing the inner primary bearing, found the tranny mainshaft bearing toasted and the 2 little bearings inside 5th gear had slid in and almost together. Bottom line, before i realized what happened, every bearing in and on the mainshaft was fried and the tranny case cracked out around the mainshaft bearing.
Do you still have the stock automatic primary chain tensioner. If so get rid of it or you will be replacing all those bearings again.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 AM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Baker Tensioner

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Do you still have the stock automatic primary chain tensioner. If so get rid of it or you will be replacing all those bearings again.
Mark- do you have your adjusters in stock yet?

Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JetD
Mark- do you have your adjusters in stock yet?
Next batch of 50 is coming in on the 24th. 28 of these are sold.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain

Mark,
Still have the adjustable poly shoe, loooks same as was on my 81 Shovel 4spd and 89 Evo 5 spd.
Do you think I may have overtightened the primary chain to cause all this?

The last good ride before the catastrophic failure I found myself trying to disengage the clutch but it was like the tranny was stuck in gear. Fortunately I was in a parking garage and just kept actauting the clutch lever while going round and up. Finally it disengaged and the next day i put it on a trailer.

Quick Reply: Grind on takeoff