Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Unusual vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Unusual vibration

Posted this on the electronics section, thought I'd try here.... Suddenly the other day my engine started vibrating (differently) than it has since I got it. It's my 12 Roadie, which has race tuner, 777 cam, high intake, cat removed, SE pipes, hi perf clutch all installed 2500 miles ago by the dealer. It's like a 'fine' vibration, I can feel it in the floor boards, in the shifter. It's almost like placing your foot on a vibrating sander, actually requires effor to keep my feet in place.. I was guessing it lost something like a bolt some where in the drive train, maybe one came out throwing it out of balance. It is definately in the engine/drive train, pull in the clutch and bring it back to idle at any speed it goes away. I took it back to the shop right away and they said they checked everything and nothing is loose, all torqued to spec... They find nothing wrong 'they all do that' ... Well, it isn't right, after 10,000 miles I know what it feels like, and they all aren't like that.

One of the guys thinks maybe a piece of the clutch came apart.. Makes sense...
Appreciate hearing any suggestions of what to have my local independent tear into and look at.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

One of the guys thinks maybe a piece of the clutch came apart.. Makes sense...
Unless you are experiencing clutch problems, I would not put much stock into that theory.

If you have an independent mechanic work on it, the dealer may give you a fight over any warranty claim you make in the future, and since the dealer has made some modifications to the bike, he may be the only dealer that would even consider a warranty claim.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 02-23-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Afishinado
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
If you have an independent mechanic work on it, the dealer may give you a fight over any warranty claim you make in the future, and since the dealer has made some modifications to the bike, he may be the only dealer that would even consider a warranty claim.
Well we're going to find out maybe... Since it's pointless to bring it back o them again, I have no alternative but an independant. I am now in with those that feel the dealers don't have mechanics, only part installers...
It's gotta get fixed somehow. Now not riding it for fear I could do damage because something is out of balance.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Fastrider124
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check th rubber isolators in the rear muffler mounts, they could be split. There could also be a heat shield coming loose or slightly touching the frame.
Worstcase, and only because you say it appeared suddenly,, check the crank runout, it no unknown for them to move!! fwiw Fastrider 124

Old 02-24-2013, 06:36 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

My mechanic is betting me a beer its the inner primary bearing and race. I really really wish he wasn't 1100 miles away right now... May have to fly him in!

I'm still thinking something broke/came off that threw it out of balance. It happened that fast...

Old 02-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Afishinado
My mechanic is betting me a beer its the inner primary bearing and race. I really really wish he wasn't 1100 miles away right now... May have to fly him in!

I'm still thinking something broke/came off that threw it out of balance. It happened that fast...
Try this, start engine-with trans in neutral, clutch lever released, do you feel the vibration?

Now pull the clutch lever in, do you still feel the vibration?

Drop the transmission into first gear, if the vibration stops, it is probably the inner primary bearing.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Try this, start engine-with trans in neutral, clutch lever released, do you feel the vibration?

Now pull the clutch lever in, do you still feel the vibration?

Drop the transmission into first gear, if the vibration stops, it is probably the inner primary bearing.
Try this, start engine-with trans in neutral, clutch lever released, do you feel the vibration? YES

Now pull the clutch lever in, do you still feel the vibration? YES

Drop the transmission into first gear, if the vibration stops, it is probably the inner primary bearing. DIDN'T STOP

Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You could have compensator issues. They've been know to fail before and it brings on some odd vibes.

I had a comp bolt loosening up and when I found it, I cured a bad vibration. I wasn't even aware of it because it occurred so slowly as the bolt backed off. I was doing some follow up tightening and adjusting after getting it back from the shop from a cam job when I found the issue. I was extremely pissed when I found it finger tight.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Drop the transmission into first gear, if the vibration stops, it is probably the inner primary bearing. DIDN'T STOP
I doubt the problem is the inner primary bearing, because when you dropped the trans into first gear, the mainshaft comes to a stop (the inner primary bearing is not moving at this point).

Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Check compensator and crank runout but it could be anything. My brother developed a nasty vibration in his '05 FXST; a small rock had wedged itself itself between the engine case and the frame. I am bettng that is not your problem.

Quick Reply: Unusual vibration