Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Excessive vibration puzzle or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 AM
luvriding
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Excessive vibration puzzle or not

Here I go again, hoping for some clarification. My 03 Annv. FLSTF, 95-Stage 3, started vibrating so bad that various screws have popped off. I had to replace my 100th Annv. tank because of leaking gas at the cracked weld points, the vibration is so bad that the face on the HD clock attached to the handle bar has moved upside down.

Funny coincidence or not, the vibration started when the HD stereo system was installed on the windsheild. The 100 Annv. concho (the leather piece) that sits on the tank has never actually fallen back into place since the stereo was installed. And, my primary case was replaced 9 months ago.

Every thing ever done on the bike has been done via the local HD shop. I've been told by HD that the vibration problem is the balancer found in the engine. I'm looking at a $3-$6 thousand rebuild.

My question: Why wouldn't the HD shop remove the stereo system or open up the primary casing before diagnosing that it is a engine problem?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I doubt that the stereo system is the cause of the vibration. It sounds like the drive sprocket of the balance assembly has rotated on the shaft; not an uncommon issue as the sprocket is an interference press fit to the shaft. No way to verify without splitting the cases.

The one thing you can check is crank run out. If the crank has been tweaked that could also cause the vibration. You need to get it repaired; eventually, the condition will lead to more extensive damage.

You might consider a reman motor; perhaps an upgrade to 95"???

Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

silly question but have you checked your motor mounts?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
silly question but have you checked your motor mounts?
Softails are solid mounted. Certainly worth investigating; a bolt could have loosened up or there is a crack in the mount but not likely. Balancer sprocket has rotated on the shaft or the crank is tweaked based on the level of vibration the OP describes. JMHO.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

and that my friends is why I hang out in the audio forums.. :-)

And to further that, djl has helped me many times over in finding oddball characteristic issues since 2006 so thank you sir and I bow to your knowledge...

Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM
luvriding
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Latest news--Ended up taking the bike in to a local wrench guy. With just a look at the bike's vibration he believed the tank was loose--he was concerned at the way the rear fender shook along with the thunder headers, etc.

Once placed on the rack he noticed that the stereo connection under the tank wasn't screwed in all the way down. The tank was hitting the frame metal-to-metal. The mounts were bad. He's ordered some bushings and a variety of screws that have fallen off. Once the bike is back together I am hoping no more ultra-vibration.

Needless to say, if this is all to it I'm going back to the HD shop and relaying what was found out. I'll keep you posted...

Old 06-06-2013, 04:38 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Sounds like you may have found the problem but you have to ask yourself what caused those screws to fall out?? Is what the tech found the problem or the result of a more serious problem? I still think you should pull the cam chest cover and check crank runout.