Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Latest SE Comp installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Latest SE Comp installed

I got my 3rd and the newest SE Comp installed. I added the GMR Compusaver oiling tray and Steve @ GMR gave me a PEEK washer to test long term on my trike to replace the bearing washer that comes in the lastest SE Compensator kit. The instruction are not much different from the 1st version SE Comp. You will need a 3/4" torque wrench and a 1 3/4" wrench or a locking wedge bar.

Its been reported that Harley doesnt want the dealers selling the adhesive for the "scoop" that needs to be installed in 2013 and older Big Twin models. HD want the customer to come to the service dept at your local dealer and pay them to install it. Well Im not made of money and most others are not as well. Plus I want to do my own work as much as I can and if you can by the adhesive its $50 from HD.

I got info from another forum that the supplier of the adhesive is Lord and the adhesive is Maxlok MX/T6. You can by the 50ml for $31 which includes shipping and a plastic adapter to use in your caulking gun >> http://www.chembar.com/adhesives/lord-maxlok-mx-t6/

I drilled a few holes in the "scoop to let the adhesive push out and make a better bond with the inside face of the outer primary

The GMR Compusaver oil tray does require that the ribbing be ground out to fit the primary cover over it. The Compusaver tray is a great design to funnel oil into the bore of the SE Comp to keep it well lubricated.

The GMR PEEK washer replaces the stock bearing washer to eliminate any possible bearing failure due to the primary oil has not filtering and will become contaminated with debris and ruin the bearing at some point. I will be checking the washer periodically to see how its wearing for a long term report.

I was able to get in a 120 mile ride today before the thunderstorm and can report a significant reduction in the chattering noise associated with the previous SE Comp. Especially at idle and under load.

Attached Thumbnails Latest SE Comp installed-0714141408a.jpg   Latest SE Comp installed-0715141437b.jpg   Latest SE Comp installed-0719141554a.jpg   Latest SE Comp installed-gmr-peek-washer1.jpg  
Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Good to hear! When my comp goes out I plan on doing all this unless Hoban Bros has their comp out on the market.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:21 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

Good info!!
Keep us updated!!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Here is a comprehensive review with 10k miles on the GMR Compusaver oil tray and GMR PEEK washer that was tested in a 2013 trike.

http://www.compensaver.com/study-res...july-2014.html

Old 08-03-2014, 08:56 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

So is the peek washer available yet?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:01 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by golfblues
So is the peek washer available yet?
Contact Steve @ GMR Performance in Texas. I think they are available now.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
Contact Steve @ GMR Performance in Texas. I think they are available now.
I've tried using the "contact form" & voice mail. No luck yet.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I realize this is an older thread but I will be doing the same install on my bike. Compensaver is on the way and new comp, glue and funnel have been purchased. My dealer said nothing about not selling me the glue and plastic piece.

The Compensaver (with the peek washer) as that is how it comes now should be here next week and I will dig in as time allows. FLTR2008TRIKE let me know how this is holding up if you don't mind.

Steve at GMR said he has 60 Compensavers on the shelf and he shipped mine the same day I purchased.

You can get them here. http://gmrperformance.com/products/compensaver/

I like Steve a lot and he is guy who rides a lot as well which is why he designed this product. Thus I am sure this will extend the life of this new compensator. I got 30K out of my stock on the '13 which is the old S/E version and recently on hot starts it has begun to clunk extremely often. Got denied by Harley on warranty, called another dealer and they had just hired the service adviser from the deaelr that had denied warranty. So I finally gave up on getting one under warranty but I getting a refund and a little on top from the dealer I took it to for warranty work nearly paid for everything I got so it almost worked out.

Regardless, I am aware there are lots o similar things in the works right now and and plenty of choices bu I ride daily and need to get something that is sitting on the shelf. There is gonna have to be a little grinding for the Compensaver which is not big deal but I am excited to see how this goes together. Hopefully I can get this done in a way that I have time to take pics and document this as we are all aware of the compensator issue and many others have had it as well. It seems that I am lucky with the amount of miles I have gotten as the first clunk did not happen until 19k miles.

I read about people having issues at 8k miles. I ride my bike around 3000 RPM most of the time and am not sure if this has anything to do with the comp but have read speculation from others that lugging can contribute to comp wear. I'll get some pics of the old one when it comes off as well.

There was no follow up after the install so i am curious as to how it has worked out as well.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Sounds good. Might want to ask Steve his opinion of adding one of the smallest spring from your old SE unit to your new comp. Havnt herd any failures with that set up. Some have torn them down after lots of miles with no red buildup and minimal wear to the spokes.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by soft 02
Sounds good. Might want to ask Steve his opinion of adding one of the smallest spring from your old SE unit to your new comp. Havnt herd any failures with that set up. Some have torn them down after lots of miles with no red buildup and minimal wear to the spokes.
I'll do that Louie. What are you running?

Quick Reply: Latest SE Comp installed