Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Bashed Inner/Outer Primary Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bashed Inner/Outer Primary Replacement

Hello! For the first time in its 72,000 miles I’ll need to R&R the primary on my ’02 FXST.
The bike and I were involved in a minor crash, and somehow the shifter, being the main point of impact, sheared it’s mounting bolts and was shoved forcibly into the primary, and as a result, both the inner and outer will need to be replaced. I’ve already got used replacements from eBay. While I’ve replaced the outer gasket before (replaced compensator nut), I’ve never needed to remove the inner before, for any reason.
I know I’ll need a new inner-primary bearing, as the one that’s in the used replacement is in an unknown state. I’ve already removed the seal from it, and the two snap-rings, but it still didn’t move, so I assume I’ve got to press it out (or bang it out with an appropriately sized socket, and a hammer). I’ve bought the blue engine case seal (quad ring), and all the gaskets, but no seals (other than the inner primary shaft seal), as the bike has no other leaks. I think I think I can simply bolt on the new inner with only a new bearing and seal. *I’m hoping* I can even get by without replacing the inner race on the trans-shaft (if it looks good).
Since the engine was running at the time of the impact, the outer compensator assembly ended up with a pretty deep gash on it, likely from aluminum shrapnel that was the outer primary. When the engine was idling, there’s no visible wobble, so I’m hoping that the crank/bearings are okay. When I removed the compensator assembly, a bunch of oil came out from behind the now-loose alternator cover. I’m hoping that was old primary oil, and not engine oil that came flooding out from behind it.
I’m good with tools, and I did replace my cams and chains with a Andrews/S&S geared set up a few years back. Let me know if you think I’m overlooking anything here, as I’ve never dealt with inner primaries before.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:17 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Sounds like you've got it covered, I would replace the bolt lock tabs if you were not planning on it. They're cheap and worth it. Speaking of tabs, don't forget to bend the lock tab over on the starter bolt, if you don't the pinion gear won't be able to in gauge.Guess how I found that out. Take a good look at the transmission seals while you are that far in too. The main seal, the quad seal and the pulley spacer are all right there and are like $20.00. Not saying it's a must but if they are showing any signs of leaking it would be a good time. I'll probably think of more things in a couple minutes but don't let me bogg you down on your project I'm sure you want to ride and if you button it up just doing the things you are already doing you'll be fine.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:09 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

72,000 on it , i would replace every seal and gasket i could get to. just makes sense.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:12 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

72,000 on it, i would replace every seal and gasket o could while that far in. don't forget to check mainshaft play and pulley wear. do you need a belt? check everything out real good before putting it back together.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:16 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser

Ya, thanks for the input, guys. It is a good idea replacing every seal/gasket I can see while it's apart. May also just replace the belt. It's original also.

I'm seeing some dark oil coming from behind the rotor when I took the compensator off has me a little concerned. Is this normal for a rotor that's never been removed? I'm hoping that's oil just doesn't circulate well, and it got a little brown for lack of circulation. Hoping to God it's not engine oil, as that could mean engine damage. Could be a burned stator I guess, but battery was charging fine up until the wreck. Wasn't planning on pulling the rotor off, but I guess I've got to now...

Old 09-07-2014, 12:40 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser

Here is what I'm seeing. This stream of oil, much darker than what the regular primary oil looked like, came flooding out as soon as the compensator nut was loosened.

Attached Thumbnails Bashed Inner/Outer Primary Replacement-wp_20140906_001-2-.jpg