Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth

Nobody is likely to be able to justify spending $1400 on a leather jacket but I couldn't resist as I always had a difficult time getting the right fit. After months of procrastinating, I ordered a custom Columbia from Langlitz.

If you can afford the luxury, spend the money. I ordered the medium-weight cowhide and it is heavy, heavy, heavy. Don't know how anyone could wear the heavy weight version. The thing is just beautiful, as both a work of craftsmanship and as road rash protection. I don't have another 30 years of riding left in this old body, but if I did this jacket would last that and another 20 before needing to be rebuilt (which Langlitz does).

If I never fall off the Ultra it still will not be money wasted, as the comfort it provides makes up for the expenditure.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the idea that you have to order a $1400 jacket that will "last a lifetime" in order to get the right fit, never made sense to me. chances are in the next five years you won't be the same size as you are now so your custom fit will be worth nothing, let alone 20 years. most people can't wear a coat for 20 years because they fatten up or thin down as they age.

that said this was a good topic, this board needs another leather jacket topic, it hasn't been covered yet here, should provide some good entertainment value.

just busting your chops, it's a nice jacket but i think i'm having buyers remorse for you, that's an insane amount of money for cow skin.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM
RubiconFL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have nice jackets i just dont like the styling at all.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

They are the "sh*t" jacket-wise......if I could afford that for a jacket, would definately spend it there.....yer "grand-kids" could prolly wear this thing in their adult years............

Old 04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A lot of coin for a jacket but if it makes you happy, that's all that matters.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:00 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Congrads, Nothing like receiving that brown paper package.

The more you wear it the better it fits once the folds and crease set in. I got goat skin on mine and even that was heavy. But like you I was thinking the who gets the Heavy weight leather. That is some heavy stuff.

Take care.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by babalu
the idea that you have to order a $1400 jacket that will "last a lifetime" in order to get the right fit, never made sense to me. chances are in the next five years you won't be the same size as you are now so your custom fit will be worth nothing, let alone 20 years. most people can't wear a coat for 20 years because they fatten up or thin down as they age.

that said this was a good topic, this board needs another leather jacket topic, it hasn't been covered yet here, should provide some good entertainment value.

just busting your chops, it's a nice jacket but i think i'm having buyers remorse for you, that's an insane amount of money for cow skin.
Yeah.....maybe.....but, how much is "your skin worth" ??...if ya go down /slide'n @ 70+ MPH ???.....how much in skin/bone grafts(if enuff left) or medical bills gonna be ???? (not bust'n yer chops.....jus' say'n.....??)

Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for you! ENJOY the new jacket.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleyrider_49
Yeah.....maybe.....but, how much is "your skin worth" ??...if ya go down /slide'n @ 70+ MPH ???.....how much in skin/bone grafts(if enuff left) or medical bills gonna be ???? (not bust'n yer chops.....jus' say'n.....??)
if you were really worried about protection you would've gotten a kevlar armored jacket from a metric shop, it will protect you much better for 1/3rd the price.

you really think your leather is somehow going to resist road rash better than any other leather of equal thickness no matter the cost? not likely.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:24 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 308 Likes on 179 Posts

$1400 for a jacket, I'm pretty sure it would not protect me when my wife found out about it.
Seriously, I paid $100 for mine, it did its job when I went down, has some scratches but still wearable.

Quick Reply: Langlitz jacket: spent a fortune, got my money's worth