Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Staying in Gatlinburg to ride the Smokey's and Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:31 PM
smithmx47
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Staying in Gatlinburg to ride the Smokey's and Dragon

Hello all, Reaching to the best travel agents there is, We are from Cape Cod and staying in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge for our July Vaca ride (8 couples). Looking for any recommendations of places to stay (with a lounge or pub close by so we don't have to ride when we get back to base camp). Also if anyone has any ride recommendations that are not on the common routes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance .

Old 12-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Classic bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick a place in Gatlinburg and stay. You can walk or take the trolley anywhere up and down the strip. We've done it a couple times. Our best ride was our first one. Have no idea where we were but just about every road is a great ride. We actually got three states in that day. Found a mountain road by accident that the dragon can't even compete with. Have fun.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Well everyone here hates Gatlinburg itseems. We stay there often and enjoy it. I usually stay in the south end of town, that way we can avoid the traffic and be on 441 in minutes. We stay at a place called Royal Townhouse, not fancy but cheap and a good location, as well as covered parking with a rooftop pool.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:42 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are located in Sevier County. It is a dry county, as are most in East Tennessee and Western NC. There are a couple of beer bars, but few and off the beaten path. They do serve alcohol at restaurants and there are package stores to buy wine and beer, they are closed on Sundays. You may want to look in to renting a large multi bedroom cabin that all can stay together. They have private cabins that sleep 20+ people, they are private and well equiped. Make sure you check with agency to make sure the rental has flat parking and paved access road to cabin. Also go to this website for good local routes and info. www.touringdepot.com Click on tour by state and the Tennessee and North Carolina. It will list most routes with maps, lodging etc.

Last edited by checkers; 12-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:49 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Stay at the Hilton in Gatllinburg just a block off the strip, good parking and can walk to everything

Old 12-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Gatlinburg is a tourist trap and it can be a MAJOR pain in the posterior to get around ... There are a lot of better/quieter places over the mountain that are closer to the Dragon, Cherohala and all the other great rides at a better price point

Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

July is not a good time to visit there.

There are full bars, liquor, beer, wine, in Gatlinburg, Sevier county is dry, but Gatlinburg is not.

My mother lives on the edge if Sevierville, and my step Dad works at Dollywood, I've spent a LOT of time there.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 AM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Gatlinburg is a tourist trap and it can be a MAJOR pain in the posterior to get around ... There are a lot of better/quieter places over the mountain that are closer to the Dragon, Cherohala and all the other great rides at a better price point

I agree, I've made numerous trips to the area and though I like visiting Gatlinburg, I don't like staying in Gatlinburg. I prefer to stay in the Townsend area on Highway 321. I've even stayed as far away as Maryville (just south of Knoxville) when I'm riding the area.

July traffic in Gatlinburg on a motorcycle is no fun.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:31 AM
smithmx47
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the great usefull info.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Gatlinburg area has a lot of rental cabins, with 8 couples that might be worth looking into. Check with the rental company for cabins that are easy to get to on motorcycles.
Most cabins will have hot tubs and pool tables, you can relax after a day of riding.
A trolly run from Gatlinburg to Pigeon Forge for shopping.

Last edited by MCHOGG; 12-18-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Staying in Gatlinburg to ride the Smokey's and Dragon