Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

roadside accommodations

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Most KOA's I've stayed at were $20-$25, where can you find a hotel room for that amount?
$36 a night in Robbinsville N. Carolina. Was much nicer having a bed shower and AC then the almost as expensive cost of camping at the KOA 2 days earlier outside of Chattanooga which after it was all said and done was $28.

The COE park in Arkansas on the way down was $24

We got caught short in a major thunderstorm outside 45 miles outside of of Memphis, didn't make i to the state park turned around and found a cheap hotel in a small town for $32

I told the wife if she could find a $40 hotel room I would ship the camping gear home.

Best decision ever, cheap hotels were far better than warm muggy nights in a tent.

We did splurge on a Best Western for 2 nights on the road qt $70 a night.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:56 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Most KOA's I've stayed at were $20-$25, where can you find a hotel room for that amount?
Probably won't. I've seen KOAs run way higher than that. Those were the ones I was referring to. I think if you get to places where a lot of people like to camp, then they go up pretty high.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:00 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,517 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Mc
"Some of us actually strike out on the road with no reservations and no idea where we'll bed down that night".

I call that poor planning.

My wife rides her own bike. When we tour together we have every nights stop planned. That works well.

When I'm just with the guys, or by myself, we or I just figure it out day by day. Quite the opposite of poor planning, that way has led to some of my most memorable and fun experiences while traveling by motorcycle. I encourage people to try it that way sometime, they might really like it.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:50 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
My wife rides her own bike. When we tour together we have every nights stop planned. That works well.

When I'm just with the guys, or by myself, we or I just figure it out day by day. Quite the opposite of poor planning, that way has led to some of my most memorable and fun experiences while traveling by motorcycle. I encourage people to try it that way sometime, they might really like it.

I have found that not planning makes for a less stressful trip. If you make reservations, sometimes they are further than you expected. Then you can't have fun and have to push to make it. Or the flipside is having to stop earlier than you want, because it is going smoother and quicker.
In my experience as long as you reserve one before it gets too late then it's not difficult at all. Especially in the age of smart phones.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 PM
switchglide12
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have been traveling on motorcycle over 25 years never did comping to this day. We did several x-country trips and we go for weekend get away almost 2 or 3 times month during riding season never once conceder camping. Sign up for Choice Privilege you alway get hotels from $20 to $75 range including breakfast, you can even clean your bike there as well. You only live once enjoy while it last.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

When I travel with my wife I always stay in a motel. But part of the reason I started riding a motorcycle was I admired Then Came Bronson's Jim Bronson. so when I took a trip with my buddy we camped out on the shores of the Mississippi, in Sabula, IA for $16. It was beautiful. And I enjoyed watching the kids running around playing like old times.

Just need a tent and a sleeping bag/pad.

So I say go for it. Has nothing to do with how much you paid for your bike. Just your sense of adventure.