Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

roadside accommodations

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 02:55 PM
rattracer
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default roadside accommodations

OK, would like to hear from you guys that do not stay in hotels on trips. I'm setting up a trip from MO to FL next summer, and I think I'd like to cut down on what is usually half the cost of my trip, motels. I'm solo on a Street Glide, plenty of room for a backpack, small tent, whatever. Do you guys have a list of campsites, use KOA, what works and what doesn't?
Thanks,
Rat

Old 12-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Kenney
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

I’ve made the STL to Tampa (1100 miles) many times. I would look at places south of Atlanta Ga. (that is about half way down). If you’re going down during the week try to avoid Atlanta during rush hour (4:00 -6:00 pm.) even taking the bypass around isn’t any fun or faster. I have always stayed in motels around Macon Ga. (600 miles) about $75 a night.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:29 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by rattracer
OK, would like to hear from you guys that do not stay in hotels on trips. I'm setting up a trip from MO to FL next summer, and I think I'd like to cut down on what is usually half the cost of my trip, motels. I'm solo on a Street Glide, plenty of room for a backpack, small tent, whatever. Do you guys have a list of campsites, use KOA, what works and what doesn't?
Thanks,
Rat
I camp often and have used KOA's. They aren't the cheapest but usually predictably decent with clean facilities. But when I lived in the South, I rarely camped....warm, humid nights are tough after 8-10 hours of riding during hot, humid days. Maybe something to consider.

Old 12-19-2014, 04:27 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Where in Missouri to where in Florida. You can likely make the trip in one day with no overnight stay.

If not,
I've pulled in roadside parks and slept on the pavement next to my bike before. I wear a full face modular helmet and don't take it off. I sleep in it and it makes a pretty good pillow.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:29 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Once you've mapped you route, identify all the State and National parks along your route.
Likely unless it's a holiday weekend you can find a tent space relatively cheaply.

But like mtgriz mentioned it's hard to get a good night's sleep on an 85 degree 90% humid night.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Toward the end of the riding day, I filter down to two lane roads and pull into small cemeteries. I pull way in the back and hide the bike behind large trees or head stones. I roll out my bed roll and crash. Up in the morning and roll out. Head straight to the nearest truck stop for food and a shower if I'm inclined. I've never been bothered or hassled. A couple of times I did wake up the cops in their cruiser on my way out. Given they were crashed out too, they've never stopped me

Old 12-20-2014, 05:39 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I couldn't sleep outside with the humidity at night...."hel you can get some pretty cheap places to sleep if you look vss enough... Use the app " hotels tonight" they sell the rooms that don't during the day....sometimes you will get a nice place for $75. That's almost as cheap as camping and when you take in consideration , a shower and a conti breakfast....IMHO is well worth the dough....If you insist on camping then you will fing good spots ...watch for snakes and spiders.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:45 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not morbid enough to want to sleep with the dead so here's my suggestion. Get online and make a list of state, private or KOA campgrounds. Figure out ahead of time what area you will be staying each night and plan your trip accordingly. Think ahead about the best time of day to pass thru high traffic areas. I like to overnight on the back side of big cities to make morning travel easier.

Old 12-20-2014, 06:57 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Look along or near your route at state parks. Usually have clean site areas, showers, etc.. often in the $20 range. Some have bare essential stores

Out of the way campgrounds can be reasonable as well. Often have laundry machines. KOA and name brand grounds or around high tourist areas can get expensive tho. I would look for them in advance as well. May have to ask about tents or just crashing and get even cheaper if you don't take a "space" from a rv. You won't need hookups etc...

Hammock is a good option in the south. A bit cooler. We did a mix before. Hit a good bed and shower (motel) after a few nights of "rough"

Old 12-20-2014, 03:36 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get the book on free campsites. They are out there. The Natchez Trace has or had, free camping. West of the Mississippi look for BLM sites, free or cheap and some are VERY nice.

Then come state sites, the Nat' parks tend to be expensive. Are you a Vet? The military has lots of good places to camp.

The KOA's cost as much as cheap motels. If on or near an interstate highway pick up a motel coupon book at a rest area. I find it works out to about $10. more a night and you have A/C, flush toilets and a shower within 12 foot of your bed.

Quick Reply: roadside accommodations