Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Oregon Coast

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 05:27 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
What is in Cedar City? Would the ride back north be in the Redwoods?
We don't have a Cedar City i'm aware of in Oregon. Crescent City, CA is just north of the Red Woods if you are going down that far.

You could go down to Red Woods. then return back north on Hwy 101 to Crescent City, CA and take Hwy 199 to Grants Pass, OR then Medford Or. then like stated before Hwy 62 to Crater Lake.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:33 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
Point taken.. Hwy 97 would be a great return. Sorry about that, At Florence over to Eugene then Roseburg via Hwy 138 to Crater lake?
No problemo.
That would be another route.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member

What is in Cedar City? Would the ride back north be in the Redwoods?
Yes there are a lot Redwoods along the way not as majestic as The Avenue of The Giants though.
The ride north to Grants Pass is fantastic.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:28 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
We don't have a Cedar City i'm aware of in Oregon. Crescent City, CA is just north of the Red Woods if you are going down that far.

You could go down to Red Woods. then return back north on Hwy 101 to Crescent City, CA and take Hwy 199 to Grants Pass, OR then Medford Or. then like stated before Hwy 62 to Crater Lake.
My bad, I don't know where the heck I came up with Cedar from...
Tossing around the idea of going that far south. Crater Lake looks beautiful in photos!

Old 01-23-2015, 04:38 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My bad, I don't know where the heck I came up with Cedar from...
Tossing around the idea of going that far south. Crater Lake looks beautiful in photos!
I road from Portland to Fort Bragg CA in a single trip it was about 580 or so miles; we did a gas-n-go ride eating only crap from the stations. Riding from Seaside Oregon to Crescent City, CA then about 80miles south to see the Red Woods should be broken up into two days.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:04 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Two summers ago I did a ride going south along the Oregon coast. In the town of Seaside it took me a full half hour to get through the town. This was about 5 PM in the afternoon. There was a massive traffic jam that the locals said was the way it usually is on nice summer days. The problem was all the pedestrians crossing the road and all traffic had to yield to the pedestrians, mostly going to and from the beach. I finally got off the main drag and took some back streets to get to my motel which was at the south end of town. So be warned.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Being from Portland, I have taken darn near every route there is around here. So, if you have the time and you don't need/want to say on I-84 the whole way, may I suggest taking the "old" route US 30 and OR 237 from Baker City to La Grande via Haines and Union. It isn't much slower and a lot more fun. Also, once you get to Boardman, cross over to the WA side and take WA 14 down to Portland. This will take an extra hour or so, but it is a better ride than I84 (again, unless you are in a rush). I definitely agree with those that say to take US26 out to the coast. US30 to Astoria is not too interesting and the ride from Astoria to Seaside is a crowded 4 line road and you cannot see the ocean. Frankly, US26 hits US101 about 8 miles south of Seaside. Just keep left and go south on 101 from the junction and skip Seaside north altogether (sorry). I also give a big vote for US199. It starts right at the OR/CA border and goes to Grants Pass. It is a great ride. Yep, go over Crater Lake and then up US97. If you need to get back, US20 is kinda interesting in its own way (they call it the Oregon Outback) but in the end US26 wins (it will take you longer than US20).

Old 07-18-2015, 09:49 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

So as I'm heading out next weekend I wanted to resurrect an old thread. Any updates on roads, weather, etc. anyone would like to give?

Old 07-18-2015, 12:08 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member

So as I'm heading out next weekend I wanted to resurrect an old thread. Any updates on roads, weather, etc. anyone would like to give?
Have a great trip!

Old 07-18-2015, 01:40 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by woodman
Have a great trip!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Oregon Coast