Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Moab in August

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Moab in August

Planning to ride Colorado this year and thought I might leave Ouray and ride over to Moab to spend one night. Is it too hot in mid to late August to ride the Moab area for a day?

Talking with some guys last year while in Glacier and they were telling me how hot it is there and you don't want to ride it in August. I rode all through Utah last year and it did not seem so bad.

Any information would be appreciated.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:25 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I personally have not been in August but have been in spring and late September. Looks like average temperature for the month of August is mid 90's. So I would say it would be warm there. Average temperature at night mid 60's. When I have been there can be warm in the afternoons but was defiantly jacket weather in the am. I would think if you are from a colder part of the country you might find it hot. Where as a person from Phoenix would probably say is nice.

russ

Old 01-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was there by bike in June 2013 and August 2014 by car. It was hotter in August, (Doh!!), but it wasn't
bad. I trooped all over Arches taking pics and you should be fine as long as you stay hydrated.

Also Rt 128 East follows the Colorado river for quite a way through some great canyons and plains.
Once it leaves the river, it hooks North to I-70 and becomes just another road so I'd ride out to that
point, then ride back to town.. it's a great ride in both directions so WTF..

Old 01-13-2015, 06:57 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Moab in August is going to be hot, just like most areas of the western high desert. That being said, I would not hesitate to take a day ride over from Ouray.

Suggested route: Ouray to Ridgeway, Ridgeway to Naturita, Utah 46 to La Sal Junction. North to Moab. As Mike Horrell said, take 128 up the river from Moab to I-70, but rather than going back, continue on to Grand Junction. Then take 65 over Grand Mesa to Delta, and right back to Ouray. The road over Grand Mesa is one of the best rides in Colorado and this route will not require but 60 or so miles on the Interstate.

Bill

Old 01-13-2015, 09:30 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Planning to ride Colorado this year and thought I might leave Ouray and ride over to Moab to spend one night. Is it too hot in mid to late August to ride the Moab area for a day?

Talking with some guys last year while in Glacier and they were telling me how hot it is there and you don't want to ride it in August. I rode all through Utah last year and it did not seem so bad.

Any information would be appreciated.
I am planning a trip through this area as well but mine will continue north afterwards. I am curios though how long the ride is from ridgeway to moab.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Billnourse is right. I was referring to a day trip type ride out of Moab rather than a return
route which really didn't take into account the context of your ride to and from Ouray.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:08 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike in dallas
I am planning a trip through this area as well but mine will continue north afterwards. I am curios though how long the ride is from ridgeway to moab.
Ouray to Moab by the route I referenced above is about 160 miles. The route back through Grand Junction is 255 miles. This is a near perfect loop. 150 miles to get to Moab gives one plenty of time to see the sights, go to the Arches National Park, etc. upon arrival. Then the return trip over Grand Mesa is a nice one day ride.

If you happen to be in Norwood around lunch time, the Lone Cone is a cool lace to eat and the food is good.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 01-13-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:58 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Ouray to Moab by the route I referenced above is about 160 miles. The route back through Grand Junction is 255 miles. This is a near perfect loop. 150 miles to get to Moab gives one plenty of time to see the sights, go to the Arches National Park, etc. upon arrival. Then the return trip over Grand Mesa is a nice one day ride.

If you happen to be in Norwood around lunch time, the Lone Cone is a cool lace to eat and the food is good.

Bill
Thanks bill, When I say we are heading futher north I mean way north. This day we would leave from Durango up to ridgeway then to moab. More then likely that would be our day. Our plan is to be in cody,wy two days later. probably stop short in Idaho falls,ID This is a big road trip we are planning but we wont do it till 2016. already have our plans for this year. We learned the hard way in 2013 not to try to many miles in this part of the country.
I am hoping to be in Moab early enough to enjoy the park on that day.
The next day will have more miles to cover but some of it will be Interstate.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:27 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Durango is 75 or a little more from Ouray. Ridgeway is another 25, so you are looking at about 250 miles from Durango to Moab, and this is almost all mountain riding so don't plan on making great time. This is going to pretty much be a full day. You are going to go over 3 10,000+ passes and the road from Silverton to Ouray has a lot of 25 mph curves and not many guard rails.

While in Ridgeway go about 1 mile North and visit Dennis Weaver Park. There is a beautiful Bronze Eagle on a 15 ft. high rock pedestal. Anyone in town can give you directions.

Lunch in Ridgeway at True Grit, or Norwood at Lone Cone.

Bill

Old 01-13-2015, 07:32 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Bill, that is the route I had planned. I plan to ride over, get a cabin, do Arches, Canyonlands, and Dead Horse SP. The next day I will take the route suggested by Mike and Bill on 128 to I70 and then to 65 down to Delta, then 550 to Durango. I appreciate the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Moab in August