Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trailer size for an Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Even if you're only planning on hauling one bagger at this time, I'd suggest that you shouldn't buy a trailer smaller than a 7x14, if for no other reason, re-sale value.

My friend has a 7x14 trailer with tandem axles and a drop-down rear door.

He has a 2010 Ultra and I have a 2013 CVO Ultra.

Both will fit inside his trailer, but it's a tight fit and it takes two people to load/unload the bikes.

It is his opinion that the newer ('09 up) are a bit wider than the previous years.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:27 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

My toy hauler has an 8x10 garage. There's enough room behind the bike that I can walk around the bike. Wouldn't want it any smaller.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Anyone got any experience with modular trailers like the one in the attached picture?

Attached Thumbnails Trailer size for an Ultra-image.jpg  
Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 PM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Anyone got any experience with modular trailers like the one in the attached picture?
My uncle has one similar to that. He seems to like it. He has never really said anything bad about it.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:37 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,609 Posts

FWIW, I talked with a salesman at a H-D dealership that used to sell these trailers. He claimed that he pulled one of these trailers, loaded with two bikes on a trip with a Toyota Sienna mini-van and only lost TWO miles per gallon on the highway.

I know that for two baggers you would need the extra wide model.

The good news is that these type of trailers are pretty much dedicated bike trailers and they pull nicely but I don't think they would very versatile for other uses.

The last enclosed trailer that I had was a 6x20 V-nose snowmobile tandem axle trailer with a drop-down rear ramp-style door and it also had an auxiliary drop down nose door, and a service-entry door on the curb side.
It worked great as you could load two snowmobiles (or bikes) end-to-end with plenty of room for storage in the front and room to walk around the bikes.

Being only 6' wide, it required no special vehicle mirrors.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
I don't think they would very versatile for other uses
Thanks for the information and I agree about the versatility.
I found one of the modular ones in Kansas City, asking $2500.

I was considering offering $1700 even though I doubt they go that low.
I'm looking at it Friday so we'll see.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:02 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks like an Ironhorse. I'm picking mine up at the factory in Morrison, TN in April on my return trip from FL. That means next winter my Trike will be going to FL with me.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by KJB
Looks like an Ironhorse. I'm picking mine up at the factory in Morrison, TN in April on my return trip from FL. That means next winter my Trike will be going to FL with me.
Why go with this type of trailer?
Why not just a nice cargo trailer that can be used for other purposes?

I was thinking if I went with a cargo trailer, I could also add a work shop setup in it and also perhaps use it for storage when it's not being used to haul a bike.

I think the "Ironhorse" trailer is nice but as others have pointed out, you've pretty much got a motorcycle trailer with basically one use.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Is it not strange how life is and moves along. We buy a house with a two car garage and a fire place and we end up with a chainsaw and a gas splitter in the garage. Then we get a Harley and end up with a trailer in the garage. Before long, we end up with a double bay barn roofed building in the back and no place for the stinking cage.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the "Ironhorse" trailer is nice but as others have pointed out, you've pretty much got a motorcycle trailer with basically one use.
I don't disagree with that statement but that is exactly what I'm looking for, a dedicated trailer for my Trike. I do have an open aluminum utility trailer that I use for the infrequent haul jobs I do and if that doesn't work, U-Haul has anything I might need. The low height of the Ironhorse means it will fit nicely through my garage door where some of the traditional cargo trailers won't.

Quick Reply: Trailer size for an Ultra