Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

NY to Sturgis route (excluding Interstate 80)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Bigblueh20
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NY to Sturgis route (excluding Interstate 80)

All,
just got back from a NY to Iowa trip (in a cage)....Have been planning a trip to Sturgis this year and figured I would take interstate 80 West....after driving this route in a car I have no desire whatsoever to do this on a mc. Can anyone suggest a different route - less trucks, more scenic? Appreciate all feedback, Thanks, Jim

Old 02-28-2015, 04:59 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Start by taking a look at Route 6 across northern PA. Nice two lane road that goes through beautiful countryside.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Since you're in NYC I suspect there are a couple interesting routes to the NW to Buffalo. What I'm getting at is heading over to Muskegon, MI and take that ferry across Lake Michigan to WI and continue west from there. It would be a nice angle to your ride and you would avoid that grim northern IN and Chicago area.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:47 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigblueh20
All,
just got back from a NY to Iowa trip (in a cage)....Have been planning a trip to Sturgis this year and figured I would take interstate 80 West....after driving this route in a car I have no desire whatsoever to do this on a mc. Can anyone suggest a different route - less trucks, more scenic? Appreciate all feedback, Thanks, Jim
For every Interstate there is an original State Route. You can take a look at several state routes that parallel the current Interstate routes today. You will have to address Chicago on I80 or drop south on route 24 and then back north or up through Michigan and across though Escanaba MI and Marinette, Wi across US 2. Look into routing such as US20, US2, US30, US 6, US 24. These highways are routed through many cities and towns. From NY you can consider routing up through Canada and accros HWY 17 and back into the USA via Seau Saint Marie and to US2. As far as you need to ride on this trip, the Interstate is your friend.

Last edited by checkers; 02-28-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:38 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

As a New Yorker living outside of Chicago...i will add my 2 cents..
Your total miles from NY to Sturgis are about 1700 miles.
The east coast rural routes have too many stop signs it will be hell to go through....ride the slab until you get past Chicago...to Rockford Illinois.
Thake Route 20 west....via Dubuque...via Waterloo to Sious City...continue on Route 20 and come up to sturgis through the Southern portion of the Black Hills.
Get to see the midwest...

Old 03-02-2015, 06:07 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 82 Posts

Use Rt. 30 known as Lincoln Highway from NJ to OR. The rest you could decide what other roads that leads you to Sturgis.

Thorey

Old 03-02-2015, 12:36 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smart move looking for an alternative to Rt.80 . Last year on my ride out west I took Rt. 6 through Pennsylvania and like MichaelPsycle I recommend it . Nice scenic ride with many interesting stops if you choose ,, or you can put miles behind you if you don't . If you do, take a break and visit the Zippo factory in Bradford , PA. It's a hoot . http://www.zippo.com/

Old 03-08-2015, 01:48 PM
West of TO
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by giacomo56
As a New Yorker living outside of Chicago...i will add my 2 cents..
Your total miles from NY to Sturgis are about 1700 miles.
The east coast rural routes have too many stop signs it will be hell to go through....ride the slab until you get past Chicago...to Rockford Illinois.
Thake Route 20 west....via Dubuque...via Waterloo to Sious City...continue on Route 20 and come up to sturgis through the Southern portion of the Black Hills.
Get to see the midwest...
I've done the above route and the 80. We'll be taking Route 20 again this year

Old 03-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Since you're in NYC I suspect there are a couple interesting routes to the NW to Buffalo. What I'm getting at is heading over to Muskegon, MI and take that ferry across Lake Michigan to WI and continue west from there. It would be a nice angle to your ride and you would avoid that grim northern IN and Chicago area.
Definitely an alternative ... but the Badger is very slow ( been there and done that ) and the Lake Express is pretty pricey from what I remember ... Ever been across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan ? I go that way sometimes. I live in the south east corner of the lower and I sometimes ride up through the upper ( I meet a friend in Mackinaw ) .

Old 03-08-2015, 01:59 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If going across SoDak you could drop down to hiway 44 at Parkston (south out of Mitchell). 44 will take all the way across to Rapid city. Just watch your gas stops, there are some stretches where if you pass one you may not make it to another.

Quick Reply: NY to Sturgis route (excluding Interstate 80)