Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need advise for Smoky Mountains ride coming from the North

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 02:46 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Need advise for Smoky Mountains ride coming from the North

Here is the 3000+ mile solo trip I'm doing in June and looking for advice:

http://mapq.st/1AN0EEc

I'll be leaving Erie, PA mid morning Sunday and have planned to stay around Abingdon, TN on a Sunday night then hit the mountains on Monday. Should I try to stay somewhere else on Sunday night other than around Abingdon, TN and jump in the mountains? I want to have all day Monday riding ending at the north end of the Dragon on the way to my father's place in Fairfield Glade, TN.

I'm staying with friends all along the way except for the night I had planned to stay in Abingdon, which is nice. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:58 PM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going through the Chicago area, you have to stop at Uno's or Girodano's. Now I'm hungry

Old 03-02-2015, 03:08 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcdaniel52761
If you're going through the Chicago area, you have to stop at Uno's or Girodano's. Now I'm hungry
Actually going to be Gino's

Old 03-02-2015, 03:50 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You are missing 574 miles of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Have you done it before? There's way to much interstate mileage.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
You are missing 574 miles of Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Have you done it before? There's way to much interstate mileage.
I have not. In the time frame with seeing friends I have to do a lot of interstate, especially to Chicago and Erie. From Erie to NC I can do whatever is the most scenic. I can find the back roads from Shellknob to KC too. Please school me on a fun route from Erie to NC. Thanks.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:32 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

So go from Erie, PA to Waynesburo, VA down the Blue Ridge to the TOD, correct? That would probably add an extra day but no big deal and I'm sure that would be a ton more enjoyable. Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Wish I could figure out how to put the Blue Ridge Parkway into Mapquest or Google maps so I could save it. I'll figure something out I guess. I did download the BRP Android app so that should be helpful.

Last edited by Bagger_Vance; 03-02-2015 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:52 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

OK, I'll give you some fun routes from Erie to the Dragon, going from long to short, but to include at least some of the BRP.

Start off heading south out of Erie, say Rt. 19 and go to Rt. 6 east. Take that to Rt. 219 south. A 5 mile detour on 6 to see Kinzua Bridge would be cool. Rt. 219 south into Maryland. First decision is do you take Rt. 50 east into 522/340 south * to the start of Skyline Drive? Or continue south to Rt. 55/33
to 55 east into Front Royal and the start of Skyline? Or 33 east into Skyline about a third of the way down?

219 into 250 will bring you into the start of the BRP, or 39 into the BRP about 20 miles from the start. (39,252N,56E,BRP)

At the end of the BRP is Cherokee, 440,74,28, TOD. But on Rt. 19 in Maggie Valley is the Wheels Through Time Museum, that you should not miss.

If because of time you must use interstate try your original plan of I-79, I-77. I-77 crosses the BRP at Fancy Gap, Virginia. (exit 8) There's a motel up the hill at that exit. Country View Motel, $32 a night. Across the intersection from the motel you go about a mile and then right, into Fancy Gap. Try the Lake View restaurant for breakfast. It's cheap and good, the entrance for BRP is right there. You would be about 275 miles from Cherokee and the most southern section of the BRP is the best.

BTW, dump the computer and mapquest and get an atlas. I can think of at least 20 different ways of going from northern PA. to Deals Gap by very scenic routes. But you need paper maps.

* 50 east to 37 south to the end (over 81) turn right on Tasker Rd. follow to the Wal-Mart then right on 522 into 340. This will avoid all the Winchester traffic. 340 brings you into the start of Skyline on the south side of Front Royal.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
OK, I'll give you some fun routes from Erie to the Dragon, going from long to short, but to include at least some of the BRP.

Start off heading south out of Erie, say Rt. 19 and go to Rt. 6 east. Take that to Rt. 219 south. A 5 mile detour on 6 to see Kinzua Bridge would be cool. Rt. 219 south into Maryland. First decision is do you take Rt. 50 east into 522/340 south * to the start of Skyline Drive? Or continue south to Rt. 55/33
to 55 east into Front Royal and the start of Skyline? Or 33 east into Skyline about a third of the way down?

219 into 250 will bring you into the start of the BRP, or 39 into the BRP about 20 miles from the start. (39,252N,56E,BRP)

At the end of the BRP is Cherokee, 440,74,28, TOD. But on Rt. 19 in Maggie Valley is the Wheels Through Time Museum, that you should not miss.

If because of time you must use interstate try your original plan of I-79, I-77. I-77 crosses the BRP at Fancy Gap, Virginia. (exit 8) There's a motel up the hill at that exit. Country View Motel, $32 a night. Across the intersection from the motel you go about a mile and then right, into Fancy Gap. Try the Lake View restaurant for breakfast. It's cheap and good, the entrance for BRP is right there. You would be about 275 miles from Cherokee and the most southern section of the BRP is the best.

BTW, dump the computer and mapquest and get an atlas. I can think of at least 20 different ways of going from northern PA. to Deals Gap by very scenic routes. But you need paper maps.

* 50 east to 37 south to the end (over 81) turn right on Tasker Rd. follow to the Wal-Mart then right on 522 into 340. This will avoid all the Winchester traffic. 340 brings you into the start of Skyline on the south side of Front Royal.
You are that man! I'll take a look at everything on a map and might make the Country View motel my point of destination for the evening. Thanks a bunch!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

Bagger, I made a mistake on the road through Cherokee. It's 441 not 440. You may want to overnight in Maggie Valley, see the museum and ride the Smokey's this way. NW on 441 across the Nat. Park, left on Little River Road, do the Cades Cove Loop then into Townsend. Rt. 321 to the Foothills Parkway, Foothills to the end and left on 129. That's the back way into Deals Gap. 441, Little River Rd and Cades Cove can be very crowded in season. If you do this it should be very early in the morning.

Cades Cove in early morning, is one of the most beautiful places east of the Mississippi. But the slow moving tourists can make you crazy.

Quick Reply: Need advise for Smoky Mountains ride coming from the North