Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

NH to the Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:42 AM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default NH to the Grand Canyon

Looking for routing advice.

I ride a 2014 FLHXS and wife just bought a 2015 Road King.

A little background on wife and I. She rode her '13 Sportster 883 Superlow last year from NH down the Skyline, Blue Ridge Parkway down to the Dragon then back home and never complained once. And we camped most of that trip too. I rode a 10K mile trip, camping most of that way last year solo out to Sturgis then Yellowstone, Glacier, Mt Ranier, Crater Lake, Lake Tahoe, U.S.50 across Nevada then south to Zion the Brice Canyon then Arches over to 4 corners then up through Million Dollar Highway and Rocky Montain NP then south to Texas, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky then home. So basically we like to ride, a lot.

We will be leaving around July 25th from the NH seacoast and and heading towards the Grand Canyon then up through Utah (Arches NP) then onto Grand Tetons and Yellowstone over the Beartooth Pass the over to Sturgis for a few days then making our way back home. Total trip time will be 21 days.

I looked briefly over possible routes last night and it looks like the southern route from NH I81 then I40 will be the best. I'm familiar with I81 area I've been down to TN a few times and we will probably hit the Dragon again this time. I am not that familiar with the Nashville to Flagstaff section. Are there better routes than I40 that still make decent time. I want to be in the Sturgis area in 12 days which would be Wednesday the 5th of Aug. Plenty of time to ride that area before heading home.

Generally speaking it is 3651 miles from our house to Grand Teton NP by way of the Grand Canyon and Arches NP following the route I mentioned above. Which at a 400 mile a day pace would make it 9ish days to get there.

We will be camping as much as possible along the way so i40 looks convient for KOA stops at night.

Any input on the route?

Old 03-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by 9one1
...I looked briefly over possible routes last night and it looks like the southern route from NH I81 then I40 will be the best. I'm familiar with I81 area I've been down to TN a few times and we will probably hit the Dragon again this time. I am not that familiar with the Nashville to Flagstaff section. Are there better routes than I40 that still make decent time. I want to be in the Sturgis area in 12 days which would be Wednesday the 5th of Aug. Plenty of time to ride that area before heading home...
Nice little mom & pop hotel in Dillon, Va along I-81 (exit 168 I think) called Wattstull Inn...I try to stay there each time I'm in the area. I know you said KOA but I offer the suggestion anyway.

To the route...I use to live in Atlanta and rode out to the Yellowstone area a couple times. I usually headed up to Springfied, Ill to visit Lincoln's tomb then on up to Davenport to pick up the Lincoln Highway west.

From there, I would go:

(1) north and take the Outlaw Trial across northern Nebraska or
(2) south to Rt 92 west and then across the Sand Hills northwest towards Chadron or
(3) further north into South Dakota and then west across I-90

From the Sturgis area, I usually head northwest on Rt 212 to Crow Agency (Custer's Last Stand) then southwest to Yellowstone.

From their, I varied my route through Monument Valley and the southwest...

Hope that helps!

Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM
9one1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Nice little mom & pop hotel in Dillon, Va along I-81 (exit 168 I think) called Wattstull Inn...I try to stay there each time I'm in the area. I know you said KOA but I offer the suggestion anyway.

To the route...I use to live in Atlanta and rode out to the Yellowstone area a couple times. I usually headed up to Springfied, Ill to visit Lincoln's tomb then on up to Davenport to pick up the Lincoln Highway west.

From there, I would go:

(1) north and take the Outlaw Trial across northern Nebraska or
(2) south to Rt 92 west and then across the Sand Hills northwest towards Chadron or
(3) further north into South Dakota and then west across I-90

From the Sturgis area, I usually head northwest on Rt 212 to Crow Agency

(Custer's Last Stand) then southwest to Yellowstone.

From their, I varied my route through Monument Valley and the southwest...

Hope that helps!

All awesome advice thank you. This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. I did the I90 thing last year and would to do something different. I will basically do that in reverse. Hitting the Grand Canyon on the way out west then back home through Sturgis.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:24 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

It is really hot in July at the Grand Canyon and in Southern Utah. Once you're on I-40 one can easily ride 600 miles/day. Not much to see along the interstate. Don't forget to stand on a corner in Winslow Arizona.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:32 PM
9one1
Tourer

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
It is really hot in July at the Grand Canyon and in Southern Utah. Once you're on I-40 one can easily ride 600 miles/day. Not much to see along the interstate. Don't forget to stand on a corner in Winslow Arizona.
After this winter that still hasn't ended here in NH I ok with the heat!! I road southern Utah last summer in August so I know what's in store heat wise. We both ride with camel bac hydration packs.

Old 03-30-2015, 04:43 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Good rubber, good hydration, you're good to go.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,025 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Agreed on those points--- not much to see on I40--have crossed that rt 7 times-- and yes if you head I40 towards Flagstaff Az you,ll go thru Winslow .By the way OK, NM , and parts of texas panhandle pretty boring!!!

Old 04-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Spectacular plan, best of luck and comfort.... I've never had 21 days off in a row from work unless I was under a doctors care... If I can retire in the next 5 years or so I'll be looking for and following your maps.... Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA I had to edit this because somehow it originally said "50" years......I'm hoping its sooner then that.....

Last edited by Eddy G; 04-04-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:30 AM
9one1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Eddy G
Spectacular plan, best of luck and comfort.... I've never had 21 days off in a row from work unless I was under a doctors care... If I can retire in the next 50years or so I'll be looking for and following your maps.... Thanks

Thanks

I've got lucky with the time off last year and this year!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like an epic trip. Check out Bisti Wilderness area in NW New Mexico if you have time. It's spectacular at sunset and sunrise. Ride safe.

Quick Reply: NH to the Grand Canyon