Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

texas 3 sisters question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Suruchi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default texas 3 sisters question

How much time should we allow to actually ride these roads? we live in Fort Worth so we will take a day to go down and a day to come back. Also how is the signage on those roads...curves, speeds, etc? thinking of going down on a monday in order to miss the weekend crowds. Thanks!
Dena

Old 04-15-2015, 08:18 AM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Rode these roads several times. In fact going back first of May. All you will need is a few hours. Start in Leakey, Tx and loop back around to Leakey. Stop at Frio Canyon motorcycle shop for a burger and T shirt. or there is a little BBQ place there as well. The roads are clearly marked for curves. 335 is open range so watch out for wildlife and other animals. We usually stay in Kerrville then ride to Bandera,TX and have breakfast at the OST. John Wayne ate here while shooting Hondo Years ago. Its a cool place. Then we back track on 16 to 337 To Leakey to start our ride of the Sisters. If you have time swing through Luckenbach. Google it. its easy to find. PM me if you have any other questions....Mike

Old 04-15-2015, 08:40 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I will echo what Mike said. It doesn't take much time at all to do the 3 sisters. We were actually looking for something else to do once we were done.

If you stay in Kerrville, I would suggest the "Inn of the Hills". Here is a link: http://www.innofthehills.com/

Very nice place and reasonable.

The day we rode it, we went from Kerrville to Medina and then took 337 over to Leakey. We went up 336, over 41 and down 335. Then turned back east on 337 back to Leakey. From there we rode up 83 to Hwy 39. We then took 39 through Hunt and Ingram. Some pretty cool places to shop in those towns. I think we actually enjoyed Hwy 39 as much or more than the 3 sisters. Some big ranches with exotic animals everywhere and some very nice scenery. Once we were back to Ingram, we had plenty of time to run back to Fredericksburg and check out that cool town and some of their wineries before it was time to head back to the motel for the evening.

When we went there a couple of years ago it was on Spring Break, so the blue bonnets and stuff wasn't out yet. We will make it back down that way again sometime around this time of year so we can see it in all of its beauty.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We visit the Hill Country several times a year and normally do this figure eight loop (going different directions to change it up). This loop takes us approximately 7-8 hours with stops for lunch, gas, and messing around.

The curves have always been well marked when I have been there, and the roads are normally in fair/good condition.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:53 AM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well roadie, that is exactly what we did the day we were down there. It makes for a pretty awesome ride.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I ride the "Sisters" 6-8 times a year. There used to be a small motel that catered to motorcycles only. /DRose Inn & Cabins; no four wheel vehicles but the owner sold to another party and now four wheelers are back. There are several "lodges" in and around Leakey that cater to the Frio River tubers and fishermen in the summer months. Also some nice cabins on the Frio River at the Frio River Pecan Farm. Personally, I would stay in Leakey; staying in Fredericksburg is OK but I would rather spend my time on the Sisters; riding one way and reversing the ride is just too much fun. Fredericksburg does have more to offer in the way of dining and shopping but it is a tourist attraction and gets quite busy on the weekends year round.

If you can manage to hit Leakey on a Tuesday around lunch time, you have to check out Chicken Earl's fried chicken; some of the best on the planet. Earl is Leakey born and raised and runs small business catering to the local ranches as a welder, machinist, etc. but a few years back started selling fried chicken out of a trailer in downtown Leakey. Last year his health started failing and he relocated his chicken enterprise to the small food service facility at the Frio River Pecan Farm where he oversees the operation to insure that the product maintains his seal of approval. Believe me, it's worth the effort to make the stop.

The vistas from the sisters are expansive and to appreciate them, one has to stop along the way and take a look. The tight twisties make it near impossible to be distracted by the view. Try to avoid weekends if possible; that's when the knee draggers are out and they always ride in groups. I ride fairly aggressively and have had some close calls when encountering a gaggle of ricers headed in the opposite direction as there will always be one that can't hold his line and crosses the center line. The twisties are tight enough that you can't see them coming.

Last edited by djl; 04-15-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Suruchi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all so much! Some great info and suggestions here. I'll post back after we take our trip, probably early May. Can't wait!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:15 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

The 3 Sisters are a nice ride but the road between Leaky/Vanderpool/Medina is better in my opinion.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:27 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I will say this as well, we have been down to ride the Sisters in Oct. only. We will leave May 3rd this time around. I am looking forward to seeing this area in the spring. With all the rain we have had it should be looking pretty good by now.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:22 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrbill
The 3 Sisters are a nice ride but the road between Leaky/Vanderpool/Medina is better in my opinion.
I believe that would be 337, one of the Sisters with a short run north out of Vanderpool on 187 that connects 337 from Medina to 337W into Leakey. The map Roadie09 posted in #4 shows that leg of the Sisters.

Last edited by djl; 04-15-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Quick Reply: texas 3 sisters question