Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country & Low Back Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:32 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

OK, this is one issue that I have chased for years and finally, I think, i have some resolution.
I am 6 foot, 230 pounds with weight as high as 250 at times. I am active and I carry the weight pretty good.
My back has hurt, sciatica, lower back lumbar with disc burning sensations. I have had spinal decompressions and in the past, a pretty thorough stretching routine to keep my spine limber.
I rode to Milwaukee last summer then a month later went to Sturgis. With 2500 miles in , my back was in agonizing pain when i got back from Sturgis. This went on all fall and into the winter months with me trying to make do and live life normal including racing my dirt bike.
Many bottle of advil later, I found crossfit. I started working out 4 times a week, stretching and limiting the weights as i became more limber. Then I felt a tweak in my back again and found AIROSTI. A very expensive chiropractor. I do not believe in bone crackers and was apprehensive about attending my appointment. However, this was one profound moment for me. This dc got in and dug into those sore muscles with his thumbs, worked me over brutally then had me do some squats. he said I had a serious issue with my hip and needed to work on limbering up my SI joints, hip flexors etc. So I have focused on these joints at crossfit and now I can do a pretty deep squat and i am much more flexible...and my back pain faded away after moving down into my hips first then disappeared totally. i have added heritage bars to my bikes, a riders back rest and I work on my squating daily.
For a 48 year old business professional without much time, i have found this 1 hour work out, 4 times a week as increased my quality of life tremendously. i am looking forward to a 2000 miles bike ride at the end of the month and have been doing this workout soley to prepare for that ride!

Old 05-05-2015, 02:06 AM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default back issues...

It is good to see so many get relief from the 'old man syndrome' of lower back pain. My grandpa used to walk, slightly bent over with his arms pointing rearward for balance. Now I know why he did that….. lol
Additionally, everyone's problems and solutions are a bit different, but contain the same base issue: muscles need to be relaxed, and to relax them you need back support, or a sit up position, or just stronger and more stable back muscles.
When you go to the doc; he can only do four things: operate/medicate/educate or manipulate. Keep that in mind when seeking the help. What we can do helps so much more, because we know our bodies better than anyone.
Uh, … no charge.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:24 PM
Czubek
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
For long trips, I use the Saddlemen Backseat bag. It's huge, fits the contour of the tourpack/backseat and provides great back support. This, along with some other type of support(belt/band), will hopefully keep me healthy during the trip. Before the bike gets picked up, I think I need to do a 200-300 mile ride, fully packed to see how it feels.
Do you have a particular brand you like?

Brian

Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
For long trips, I use the Saddlemen Backseat bag. It's huge, fits the contour of the tourpack/backseat and provides great back support. This, along with some other type of support(belt/band), will hopefully keep me healthy during the trip. Before the bike gets picked up, I think I need to do a 200-300 mile ride, fully packed to see how it feels.
That's a good idea. Before I've done my long rides across country, I have done short rides also to build up my stamina and also to see if I needed to improve on anything to make my ride more comfy. Enjoy your trip.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Ultra Rich
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing I might suggest is a neoprean belt wrap. I'm not sure what the exact name of it is, but I'm sure it's produced by David's, that also produce many ankle, knee, elbow wraps.

This is meant specifically to go around the waist/stomach area, it used to be advertised as a belly slimmer. However, what it is great for is to create heat around the mid section, back specifically, that keeps the muscles heated, with your own body heat. I've used one at the gym for years, thinking it would make me skinny! NOT. However, I found it makes for great back pain relief?

Just a thought?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

I did 3000 miles in 5 days about 10 years ago with bad back pain. I think it was muscle spasms rather than sciatica.
The physiotherapist loaned me what I think is called a "tens machine". It was a small unit that could clip to your belt. There were a couple of electrodes that I stuck to my back in spots she showed me. Whenever I started feeling the pain coming on such as when I was getting on or off the bike I'd turn this little gem on and the pain went away. It was a Godsend.
The other thing that is a must is a backrest, whether it is one that inserts into your seat or just a duffle bag on the passenger seat. I don't leave on a long trip without it.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:47 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

There is no one size fits all cure for back pain.

Years ago I had sciatica so bad I finally couldn't bend over to put my shoes on. Had lived with it for a couple of years. A sharp young doctor gave me a shot in the butt of steroids then a steroid regimen and all good since.

Overall back pain I've learned to take twice the recommended dosage of ibuprofen.

On a long ride, you will get aches and pains. At about the 10 hour mark my body starts talking to me. For me, knees, legs in general start feeling a lot of pain. Regular dose of ibuprofen typically knocks it out.

Personally, I don't use a backrest. On a motorcycle on long trips I collapse into a travelling slouch. I slouch forward and take all the pressure off my back. Think of the position bikers on Mann pictures get into. Slouched over, head up. I can, and do travel more hours than most people stay awake in that position. The back is fine when I finally get off the bike. Once I hit the highway for a long run, I run the bike up to speed and then consciously slouch down to get into travelling mode.

It works for me, you might try it.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 AM
mtnbikerx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What everyone has said plus Tramadol -- back rest definitely helps.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:32 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Czubek
Do you have a particular brand you like?

Brian
This is the bag that I've used for long trips. Great support. Great storage.

http://www.saddlemen.com/br4100-back-seat-bag-universal

Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Thanks for all the responses guys. Good info. Good advice. I rode a pidlly 70 miles today dropping my bike off for the 1,000 mile service. Shortly after returning home, the pain kicked in in my right lower back. I went to my doctors appt today. They say my right sacral/ileal joint is inflamed. They did an x-ray(haven't heard the results), prescribed high dose motrin, flexeril and physical therapy. I must say, I was pretty down after my ride today. Made me wonder if I should cancel this trip. If my back feels like it does after 70 miles, how's it going to feel after 300-500 miles? My bike is set to be picked up by Federal Transport on 5/20. I'll wait until I see physical therapy and see if they think this whole thing is feesible. Not throwing in the towel yet!

Quick Reply: Cross Country & Low Back Issues