Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country & Low Back Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 04:50 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy

As for the Saddlemen BR4100 back seat bag, I got mine over a year ago and it will not fit in between the tour pack and the rider's backrest
I just installed a riders backrest today. Fits perfectly with the BR4100 on my 2015 Limited. This may not have been the case with the 2010 Limited though. I now have a TENS unit. I just need to learn how to use it and give it a try. Getting there...

Old 05-15-2015, 08:07 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
I just installed a riders backrest today. Fits perfectly with the BR4100 on my 2015 Limited. This may not have been the case with the 2010 Limited though. I now have a TENS unit. I just need to learn how to use it and give it a try. Getting there...

Looks like your going to have a great trip!

Old 05-21-2015, 08:15 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

My FXRG leather jacket has a built in kidney belt. I hadn't used it and then one day I tried it. It does give additional support to the lower back. I would try and find a belt like this, not leather but a strong/yet elastic 7 or 8 inch belt with velcro so that you can cinch it up as necessary, best of luck (alieve works for me).

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/fxrg-kidney-belt

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 05-21-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added Link to Kidney Belt
Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
jesstergoodwin
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had lower back issues most of my adult life and sciatic issues the last 10 years. I figured out how to manage things (for myself) about 7 years ago and have been much happier since then. Some of the things that have made a difference for me (your mileage may vary):

1. Seat makes a huge difference. I have had really good luck with Mustang seats. I use a backrest all the time but even with it, on several different stock HD seats, my back kills me. There is something about the design of the HD seats that just doesn't work for me ergonomically and I've heard that from others as well. If you have a friend with a Mustang...see if you can borrow it for a day.

2. Stretching. I gotta stretch every morning if I am riding. I focus on my hamstrings, glutes, hip-flexors and quads. Don't forget about a quad stretch....tension in your quads impacts your lower back. I also stretch a little throughout the day while riding but I typically try to reserve about 20 minutes in the morning before I put on my gear to get on the floor to loosen up, breath and relax. This seems to help a lot.

3. Relax. The feedback loop is a bitch. You feel stiff or a little pain...so you involuntarily tighten up a bit, which causes more pain, which causes more tension...etc, etc. I think this is one reason Mustang seats work a lot better for me....I feel so much more 'locked in' or 'grounded' on the bike and so I have a tendency to stay more relaxed. I don't take the time to do yoga..but I think it could really help and have considered it.

4. I also take ibu profin sometimes but try to remind myself that while it helps it is also just treating the symptoms, not necessarily the cause.

5. Body mechanics. How I lift things, turn, move in general...it all makes a difference. It takes time to re-learn behaviors but being more conscious of what my posture is like when doing various activities has helped a lot for me over the years.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:35 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

All great points. Thank you!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:03 PM
JDisME
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slightly off topic, but how exactly do these backrests attach? To the seat or the nut holding the seat on? I ask because for me, the most comfortable seat that works for me is my Sick Saddles seat, 2 piecer, but I don't think I can use a backrest with that particular seat.

Just curious because i have a long ride com,ing up and I'm sure a backrest would help out.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:06 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I just returned from a 2035 mile ride through the south east. My riders back rest and the installation of the heritage style bars made my road king so much more pleasant to ride. i struggled with back pain on the last 3 trips i took and this one was by far the longest i have done. As i stated before, i am also doing the crossfit work out and did many air squats and a few workouts while we were out for 8 days riding the bike. Zero back pain!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I had a partial Laminectomy on L4 in 1994. My back doesn't bother me on the bike, because I sit upright. Don't slouch.
Get this book. Very good explanations of how to stretch and improve your posture.
Back in Shape: A Back Owner's Manual: Stephen Hochschuler, Cory Everson: 9780395562734: Amazon.com: Books Back in Shape: A Back Owner's Manual: Stephen Hochschuler, Cory Everson: 9780395562734: Amazon.com: Books

If you work at a computer all day, get a Nada Chair. Works Fantastic. Check the testimonials. Get the Back-Up.
http://www.nadachair.com/how-it-works.html

Old 06-03-2015, 07:36 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by JDisME
Slightly off topic, but how exactly do these backrests attach? To the seat or the nut holding the seat on? I ask because for me, the most comfortable seat that works for me is my Sick Saddles seat, 2 piecer, but I don't think I can use a backrest with that particular seat.

Just curious because i have a long ride com,ing up and I'm sure a backrest would help out.
Pre-assemble the hardware, remove the seat and there are 4 bolts/mounting points. Put seat back on...back rest fits through slot in seat...snaps on. Instructions explain it pretty well. Hope it works for me.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:39 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by 94ruck
I just returned from a 2035 mile ride through the south east. My riders back rest and the installation of the heritage style bars made my road king so much more pleasant to ride. i struggled with back pain on the last 3 trips i took and this one was by far the longest i have done. As i stated before, i am also doing the crossfit work out and did many air squats and a few workouts while we were out for 8 days riding the bike. Zero back pain!
I wonder about the position of the bars on my limited. The drag bars on my softail custom are much more comfortable, but they'd look pretty silly on a limited!

Quick Reply: Cross Country & Low Back Issues