Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Got the itch. Next trip!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:41 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 247 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Got the itch. Next trip!

One of the advantages of my job is that I work 4 10's with Friday off in the summer months. This Friday Junior gets his learners permit so I get to stay in town but the following weekend I'm gone, momma is asking for a vacation day to go with me but regardless of that outcome I am going. No real destination outings planned this is just for the ride.

Tulsa OK > Taos NM
Taos NM > Durango CO
Durango CO > Montrose CO
Montrose CO > Saguache CO
Saguache CO > Raton NM
Raton NM > Tulsa OK

1800 miles in 3 days, a little long for a weekender I like to keep them at 500 or less per day so there's time for excursions but that extra shouldn't be too bad.

Gonna do a 4 day weekend soon and go see Niagara falls.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:14 PM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a great trip. Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:03 PM
9one1
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I did that Durango- Montrose section during my trip last year, one of my favorites!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...045-miles.html

Old 06-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Hope you have a great ride!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 PM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 9one1
I did that Durango- Montrose section during my trip last year, one of my favorites!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...045-miles.html
Awesome ride report. Thanks for linking me to it.

Next summer is Hopefully going to include a 16 day 5600 mile trip for us.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:13 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 225 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bettingpython
One of the advantages of my job is that I work 4 10's with Friday off in the summer months. This Friday Junior gets his learners permit so I get to stay in town but the following weekend I'm gone, momma is asking for a vacation day to go with me but regardless of that outcome I am going. No real destination outings planned this is just for the ride.

Tulsa OK > Taos NM
Taos NM > Durango CO
Durango CO > Montrose CO
Montrose CO > Saguache CO
Saguache CO > Raton NM
Raton NM > Tulsa OK

1800 miles in 3 days, a little long for a weekender I like to keep them at 500 or less per day so there's time for excursions but that extra shouldn't be too bad.

Gonna do a 4 day weekend soon and go see Niagara falls.
Take your passports so you can view the falls from Canadian side. While on Canadian side, take Momma on a short ride to Niagara on the Lake and you'll bank some major points.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Have fun, be safe, and.......pictures, pictures, pictures !

Old 06-16-2015, 07:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

600 miles a day on some of the roads you are going to be on are going to be very long days. These routes are in the mountains and you are only going to average 40 to 45 MPH if you are a good mountain rider. Looks like about 600 from Tulsa to Taos, and 600 back to Tulsa from Raton. That means you are going to have to do 600 miles of mountain riding on day two to complete your route. Not trying to rain on your parade, but that is a bunch. If you stop at all you are looking at a 15 hour day. If you have any weather, and that is a real possibility in the mountains, you are going to be even slower.

Just trying to let you know what you might be in for. Be safe and have fun.

Bill

Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM
bettingpython
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by billnourse
600 miles a day on some of the roads you are going to be on are going to be very long days. These routes are in the mountains and you are only going to average 40 to 45 MPH if you are a good mountain rider. Looks like about 600 from Tulsa to Taos, and 600 back to Tulsa from Raton. That means you are going to have to do 600 miles of mountain riding on day two to complete your route. Not trying to rain on your parade, but that is a bunch. If you stop at all you are looking at a 15 hour day. If you have any weather, and that is a real possibility in the mountains, you are going to be even slower.

Just trying to let you know what you might be in for. Be safe and have fun.

Bill
Traffic will be the great equalizer in the mountains for me, if momma goes she rides her own bike it'll still be the cause of our slowdowns but I won't make as much time with her along when there is no traffic. My first night stop should be Pagosa Springs, maybe Durango.

Thanks for the concern.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:17 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Traffic in the mountains probably won't be too much of an issue. 15 mph switchbacks might be. You will have a bunch of them between Durango and Montrose. There are three mountain passes that are over 10,000 ft. and Red Mountain is a pretty technical ride in places.

You might have some pretty heavy traffic between Montrose and Gunnison through the canyon. Lot of camping, boating and other recreation in the area with lots of RV's.

Bill

Quick Reply: Got the itch. Next trip!