Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Skyline Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Skyline Drive

Just got back from a 2700+ mile trip down the BRP, Tennessee, And into Alabama to the Barber museum with some friends. We did not do Skyline Drive.
My wife wants to go next year and loves to see the sights. Is Skyline Drive worth doing? From what I saw the southwestern portion of the parkway is the nicest. Opinions???

Old 07-13-2015, 03:34 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can see the first ridge of Skyline Drive from my front porch. I ride it all the time, from late fall, winter into early spring. It's a wonderful ride. Then the riding/driving season comes and I do try to avoid it.

35 MPH with heavy enforcement. Drivers that stop their cars in the middle of a blind turn to look at a deer. Major traffic jams near a bear. Leaf lookers.

If going "in season" go Mon-Fri start by 7 AM, stop for breakfast at Big Meadows and hold your speed down. It's not bad then. AVOID WEEKENDS.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 PM
mo cajun
Road Captain
Received 134 Likes on 83 Posts

I would say do it but do it while school is in and during the week not weekend.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:37 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
I can see the first ridge of Skyline Drive from my front porch. I ride it all the time, from late fall, winter into early spring. It's a wonderful ride. Then the riding/driving season comes and I do try to avoid it.

35 MPH with heavy enforcement. Drivers that stop their cars in the middle of a blind turn to look at a deer. Major traffic jams near a bear. Leaf lookers.

If going "in season" go Mon-Fri start by 7 AM, stop for breakfast at Big Meadows and hold your speed down. It's not bad then. AVOID WEEKENDS.
35 MPH with heavy enforcement ... Yep ... They are always out there!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:08 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Rode the Parkway all the way from Front Royal, Va. to Maggie Valley two years ago. The Parkway is a wonderful ride. So many sights to see that we didn't get to half of them.

I had heard a lot about enforcement, but we never saw any in two days of riding.

Bill

Old 07-14-2015, 07:26 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Pretty much what Bill said on all counts. We started early on a Monday and I don't recall being stuck behind anyone for longer than a minute or two. Tons of pullouts. Not one Ranger/L.E. the entire way.

As far as speed, we resigned ourselves to taking our time but frankly, the 35 MPH limit didn't bother us a bit. Sometimes it's nice to slow down and just enjoy a calm breeze over the windscreen.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I ride various sections of Skyline all the time (see my signature pic). I rarely if ever see anyone pulled over for speeding. The park rangers are in white pickups and SUVs so they aren't hard to spot. I average about 45 mph on the drive except during foliage season. Most people are courteous and pull into an overlook to let you pass if you are behind them for a while.

The southern two thirds of the drive (from Thornton Gap south) have better views than the northern third in my opinion. Look for bears around the Hawksbill area. I have seen them around there several times.

One word of caution--this time of year there are LOTS of bicyclists on Skyline and there are no bike lanes. The result is that cars often swing out across the center line to get around them, even on curves. So don't overdrive your sight lines on the curves.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:01 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
One word of caution--this time of year there are LOTS of bicyclists on Skyline and there are no bike lanes. The result is that cars often swing out across the center line to get around them, even on curves. So don't overdrive your sight lines on the curves.
Some great words of caution there.

I would also add that the deer are plentiful and tend to run quite a bit in the morning and evening. We witnessed a fawn getting run over right in front of us by an on coming car. Now that we're talking, 35-45 is plenty fast considering the fauna is out to kill us.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:59 AM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is wrong with a ultra limited.
I did the T.O.D 2 up on my ultra limited without any issues.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:12 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

It is definitely worth doing. I typically have done it every year.

The 35mph speed limit is perfect. Yeah, it is slower than a regular highway, but the pace allows you to enjoy the ride/views, and keeps you slow enough to avoid the bears, deer, squirrels, turkeys, and all the other critters that can ruin your day.

I've seen days with heavy enforcement (to include lights and sirens while chasing down a rider not wearing a helmet), and days without any enforcement at all.

Quick Reply: Skyline Drive