Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Skyline Drive from Central NJ

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:43 PM
gjasr1960
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skyline Drive from Central NJ

Hello,
Planning a september trip to BRP in early September from Central NJ. Did it once before but a long time ago.
What's the best(sceneic?) way to get there and avoid D.C.

Thx Greg in NJ

Old 07-27-2015, 06:24 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,438 Likes on 4,132 Posts

I-81 right down through Pa., Md., and Va. is the easiest.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:09 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I-81 is the fastest most direct route. You could also pick up US 15 in Harrisburg, Pa and follow it south through Gettysburg then through Frederick, Md to northern Va. If you've never been to Harpers Ferry WVa it's not that big of a detour and well worth it. Pick up Skyline Drive in Front Royal, Va I believe and enjoy, it's probably one of the most scenic routes in this country.

Last edited by E8USMCRET; 07-27-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:28 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I just rode I-81 from Lorton VA to the Skyline at Front Royal. It's well sign posted. Skyline Drive leads straight into the Blue Ridge Parkway, though we stopped at Waynesboro VA for our first night.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Coming from LI, we go thru NYC then 78 to 81. Fast and direct make the miles. Once on Skyline it is about the view and quiet slow pace, miles are made very slowly. But it is beautiful.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
I-81 is the fastest most direct route. You could also pick up US 15 in Harrisburg, Pa and follow it south through Gettysburg then through Frederick, Md to northern Va. If you've never been to Harpers Ferry WVa it's not that big of a detour and well worth it. Pick up Skyline Drive in Front Royal, Va I believe and enjoy, it's probably one of the most scenic routes in this country.

Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry are must do stops.
Skyline Drive and BRP are great. Expect it to take a few days going south and another few days going north. Southern end is the most technical. If you have the time, when you get to Cherokee, it's worth it to take the ride over to Cherohola Skyway. Maybe come back toward Cherokee via the Dragon.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Raineman
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by E8USMCRET
This is the way I would recommend (not knowing how you would get from Jersey to Harrisburg..???...you can pick up 15 a lot of places above Harrisburg as well)

If you take US15 south as E8 suggested, once in Frederick, MD you would pick up Route 340 west towards Harpers Ferry. Once on 340 west, it takes you through Harpers Ferry and right into Front Royal where you pick up Skyline Drive.

Last edited by Raineman; 07-27-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:56 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe explore US 30 to US 15. Stop in Gettysburg. find your way to Skyline drive. Maybe a side trip to Luray Caverns and down thru the Shenandoah Valley. Make a wrong turn or two. Talk to the locals. Enjoy.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

First off, unless you are in a huge hurry, avoid I-81. It's nothing more than a classic, heavily-travelled, truck-dominated interstate.

I'll second the idea of heading west from NJ and taking US-15 south from Harrisburg, PA. Gettysburg is indeed worth visiting (and Battlefield HD is nearby, if you need a dealership for some reason), and 15 isn't a bad way to get down into Maryland. If you are hungry as you pass Emmitsburg (just south of the Mason-Dixon line), head into town and dine at The Palms...good fare at excellent prices. Try the Baltimore-style gravy fries, if nothing else.

Once you get to Frederick, take US-15/US-340 towards Brunswick and Harpers Ferry and on towards Front Royal. There you can get on Skyline Drive, or continue on 340 to Luray, which is itself a decent ride. At the risk of shamelessly promoting my own thread, I posted some pics from a ride down 340 earlier this year: US 340 and environs.

340 is actually a pretty decent ride, though there are slow-downs in Charles Town and a couple other spots. It goes through some nice rural areas as you make your way into Virginia.

If you go to Luray, the caverns are worth a stop...they are truly a wonder of the world, and I've seen a few. From there, you can get on Skyline Drive by taking 211 east into the park...this is the Thornton Gap entrance, and arguably the Drive is better south of there in any case.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:58 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Lurray Caverns are very cool and worth a stop. We also wandered on and off Skyline and went to Appomatox Courthouse and Thomas Jefferson's house, Monticello. All worthy distractions.

Quick Reply: Skyline Drive from Central NJ