Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Oregon Coast

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Oregon Coast

First off I would have just added these to my original thread, but I can't seem to find it (or my subscription to it), so I guess I'll post another.

We rode to the Oregon Coast around the last week of July.
Didn't get a lot of pictures unfortunately of I got a couple on my computer that might interest some folks so I'll post em up.

Got all packed Friday night before we were going to head out. Well, all except some toiletries that we didn't have spares of.
Headed out about 7 am for The Dalles. We wanted to break up the ride to Seaside from Boise so we thought this would be a good spot. We actually thought it was closer to Portland but it was about 90 miles east. Oh well. This leg was pretty uneventful, which is a good thing. I84 all the way, which isn't as bad as it sounds as there is some descent scenery once you get past Ontario. We were able to make some good time here even though the speed limit is 55 for quite a bit of it (traffic flow was 70-75 mostly).
We woke up after me being up all night losing my dinner and whatever other contents of my stomach there were. I felt better as soon as we started down the road. I being a man tend to procrastinate at times. I told my wife we would stop at the first town outside of Portland for gas. I skipped the truck stop as it was not a "town". Hindsight says that was a mistake....
After watching my "Miles to Empty" count down to nil (Low Range) it started raining. Most curves we had encountered you could go well over the "suggested speed". I can tell you when it says 40, you should probably not go 60. Front tire starting to slip in the rain is no Bueno. Finally stopped at a rest area to relieve ourselves (something my wife stated she needed to do 30 miles back). Got to wait out the rain also here. We had not thrown on our rain gear as of yet thinking it would stop soon, which it did. A quick look at the map in the rest area said 7 miles to gas. It was a bit more than 7 which is scary when your bike just says Low Range....LOL
Once we got gas it was smooth sailing into Seaside. Lots of traffic when we got there, but otherwise a nice town.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

We stayed at the Hi Tide hotel which was nice. Had a view of the ocean from the bed. There was a HOG group from WA while we were there, and the hotel marked off some parking for them which was pretty cool IMO. We walked to the mall area and had a good time in this town. It seems easier to walk around Seaside then ride as there is a lot of foot traffic. We would have stayed 2 nights here if the hotel room was available, but they were sold out. We actually ended up with the last room the night we had it.

The second pic is the stuff we had on our Dyna's. Too much stuff really.
The third pic is proof Dyna's can jump higher than probably any other bike....LOL

Attached Thumbnails Oregon Coast-20150725_102421_resized.jpg   Oregon Coast-20150727_111537_resized.jpg   Oregon Coast-20150727_130530_resized.jpg   Oregon Coast-20150729_130516_resized.jpg   Oregon Coast-20150729_165115_resized.jpg  

Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Our last two summer trips have been thru Oregon and we plan to return there next summer to stay and play a few days in the sand dunes...out of 30 states traveled, including the east coast, the NW states are my favorite.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:44 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Hey BigDog ,
How far south did you ride?

Old 08-19-2015, 04:24 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

I can't wait to go again. This trip seemed a little short.

We went to Bandon then headed back over. Wished we had more time and there were no fires. We would have went into northern CA.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

On our way back we had to go up I5 to Eugene. We did stop at the Eugene dealership and pick up a shirt. Nice place. We stayed our last night in Bend before heading the rest of the way into Boise. There was a nice little heat wave that put the temps over 100 for our ride through the desert. Not real fun but what can you do? Lots of stops for water on our last 2 days.
We ran into quite a few people heading to Sturgis. Some asked if we wanted to join them, and we probably should have! LOL Hope they all made it there well and had a good time. If the guys from CA or the couple from Klamath Falls (I believe) are on here drop me a message to let me know.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

At least you got through the area before the fires. I came from Twin Falls last weekend on my way home and the smoke was so bad through Ontario, it was hard to see the road signs before going past them. Very nice state you live in Big Dog! Spent the night in Hines before the last leg home. Glad you had a good time in Oregon.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:48 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
At least you got through the area before the fires. I came from Twin Falls last weekend on my way home and the smoke was so bad through Ontario, it was hard to see the road signs before going past them. Very nice state you live in Big Dog! Spent the night in Hines before the last leg home. Glad you had a good time in Oregon.

Yeah they are terrible now. My cousin was stuck in Baker City (I think) with his truck the other day.
Thank you, I enjoy this state! I can say I'm thinking of retiring on the coast somewhere in Oregon. Glad you like our little state too! Just traveling through Idaho, or was your trip to here?
Whereabouts are you from Nitro?

Last edited by BigDogIdaho; 08-20-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:49 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I took a 5 day trip up through NE Oregon into SE wash. and caught hwy. 12 to missoula Mont. Went south into Idaho and took the Salmon river route to twin falls. I wanted to see Mont. and Id. as I've never been to either. Idaho is a stunning state to tour. Came home through Ontario through Burns and Bend. I live in Myrtle Creek. 108 off I-5.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:05 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
I took a 5 day trip up through NE Oregon into SE wash. and caught hwy. 12 to missoula Mont. Went south into Idaho and took the Salmon river route to twin falls. I wanted to see Mont. and Id. as I've never been to either. Idaho is a stunning state to tour. Came home through Ontario through Burns and Bend. I live in Myrtle Creek. 108 off I-5.

Sounds like you got to see a good chunk of Idaho. Saw the different types of scenery also. We got the high desert and trees further up north.
We did not get quite to your home but pretty close. Winston area is where we picked up I5. We were told that 138 (I believe) was on fire and thus shut down. So we ended up going through Eugene to get to Bend. The desert was alright but there was a heat wave so not too fun.

Brothers did have a nice little place we stopped and grabbed a bite. There is a couple rattle snakes in a tank there. My wife did not like that part but didn't bother me....LOL

I do envy you though. The coast is so close to you. Do you know how the towns/scenery are further south than Bandon?

Quick Reply: Oregon Coast