Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

To Hub or not to Hub

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 01:42 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default To Hub or not to Hub

Most of us seem to have at least one major trip per year. Most of mine have been to always move from one place to the next every day. So naturally these trips cover fairly high mileage.

I'm thinking of making my next one based out of some hub and doing day rides from there. I have done a couple like this before, making Durango a hub on one and Ouray a hub on another. Naturally some of the days rides were the same from these.

Does anyone know of another good hub that offers good restaurants and a good bar or two to hang out in at night? My preference, as usual, is to go to the rockies.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:06 PM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did Steamboat this way. Hadn't intended to, but got into town and looked around and decided to do all of the riding from there. We did 3 nights, a day in from the east up the Big Thompson river through Estes Park, a day north into Wyoming and back through Buffalo Pass (not paved), an easy day south and back into town early and then a day riding out along the Poudre river canyon. Stayed at Alpine Rose B & B. Place had an awesome hot tub on the deck under the stars, probably why we stayed.

Could easily do the same thing in the Smokies. Stay at Fontana Dam, Maggie Valley, Ashville, etc.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like the Shamrock tours from RoadRunner mag. Each day is in a different direction all ending up in the same place. I've done this (over a few weekends - so not quite the same) for the State College, PA Shamrock tour. This is just a preview.

To me, it makes good sense to tour this way. Some of the advantages I see are:
  • knowing where you're sleeping
  • knowing where you're eating
  • decent solution if renting a bike
  • friends can join in on the 2nd or 3rd day without worrying about meet-up times

Being very new at touring it seemed a nice way to get introduced to the challenges and still get some great riding.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:19 PM
JP7
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out Buena Vista or Salida if you want to stay in Colorado. Lot's of good riding there and the Collegiate Peaks are pretty good for scenery. And The Coyote Cantina in Johnson Village is a good place to wet your whistle. Jan's in Buena Vista is good home style food or Quincy's for steak.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:03 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Is Estes Park a good hub or no?
When I was a kid (many many years ago) we stayed there for a few days and went around. It was so long ago, and we were in cages and a RV so I can't really remember all the logistics.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:38 PM
JP7
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Is Estes Park a good hub or no?
When I was a kid (many many years ago) we stayed there for a few days and went around. It was so long ago, and we were in cages and a RV so I can't really remember all the logistics.
The only down side to Estes Park is people. If you don't mind lots of them it's good. Fewer people on the other side of the park in Grand Lake. Not to many options for lodging though.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Breckenridge would be another area to look at.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 PM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The last two years a group of us have rode the Smoky Mountains, Dragon and the Parkway while using Townsend as a base. It's worked very well.
Bill

Old 11-03-2015, 01:45 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JP7
The only down side to Estes Park is people. If you don't mind lots of them it's good. Fewer people on the other side of the park in Grand Lake. Not to many options for lodging though.
We will keep that in mind then, thanks for the info!
I'm not really sure when we will be going, but we will be going. I do like less people if I can at all help it.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

We have used Silverthorne as a hub twice now. Condo rentals during the summer are super cheap and very comfortable. Generally cheaper than a hotel if you have another couple to share it with.

From there you can hit Pike's Peak, Mt. Evans, Rocky Mountain NTl Park and many other great places. Lots of good places to eat there as well and not as crowded as Estes Park.

Quick Reply: To Hub or not to Hub