Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Ride around Lake Superior

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:14 PM
smithk
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ride around Lake Superior

Thinking about riding around Lake Superior next summer. Any suggestions as to where to stay and what to be sure to see? Also wondering how many days will it take? We will be leaving from our camper in the Rice Lake Wisconsin area.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:52 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, be sure to try the whitefish sausage.

I can't really say how long the trip will take or what the North side is like but it's 2700 miles around on the circle tour. I rode the south side from Duluth to Sault Ste Marie this year.

A few years ago we met up with someone that had just come all the way around in 5 days. No telling how he was rolling though, when we met up at a motel we were all checking into at 10 PM so he was doing some long days for sure. Stayed at the campground at Keweenaw and it was a good place. Lot of vacationers there but plenty of space.

This year I stayed one night at a motel in Mackinaw City and one night in an Ottawa National Forest campground. Marquette is a nice town.

Campgrounds near Pictured Rocks should be nice.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

I (we) did the trip (counter-clockwise) in June, 2013.
A little cool in the morning but perfect during the day.
Don't plan on riding too early or too late...the moose move during those times.

We stayed at the Comfort Inn in Duluth, MN, at a little mom-pop motel in Nipigon, and at the Wawa Motor Inn in Wawa, ON.

Depending on the currency exchange rate, fuel, food and lodging is a bit more expensive north of the border.

Be sure to try the "poutine", the "pea meal" bacon, and of course the Canadian beer!

Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 AM
smithk
Cruiser

I see that Superior has 2700+ miles of shoreline but it is 1300 miles around the lake by road? I have heard bad things about the bridge in Sault Ste Marie. ????? Also while researching it appears that there are areas there are very remote. Sounds like it would be a good trip to do with several riders.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk
I see that Superior has 2700+ miles of shoreline but it is 1300 miles around the lake by road? I have heard bad things about the bridge in Sault Ste Marie. ????? Also while researching it appears that there are areas there are very remote. Sounds like it would be a good trip to do with several riders.

Not sure of the mileage on either the Canadian or the U.S. side but the Canadian side (north side of Lake Superior) is fairly good two day ride, while the southern loop (thru MN and MI) is longer, and if you want to see a lot of stuff, I'd recommend making it a four day trip (or perhaps 3 days if you're an "Iron Butt").

I'd call the Canadian route rural but not really remote.

Having riding companion(s) is always nice but as long as your bike is dependable and you make sure to keep fuel in your tank you'll be OK.
Just plan on being off of the road from dusk to dawn. No reason to take unnecessary risks.

In regards to the "Mighty Mac", the weather is sometimes a factor.
If it's windy they may delay your crossing for a while, but the good news is that there are motels on either side of the bridge if you need one.

The other issue with the bridge is the metal floor grids.
One lane in each direction is metal grid and the other is paved.
Always take the paved side (if possible as they're always working on the bridge) but if you have to use the metal grid side just take your time and you'll do fine.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 11-15-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:13 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Duluth and the North Shore is a great ride. I love the city of Duluth too. You can easily tourist around there for a full day or more.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:29 AM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk
Thinking about riding around Lake Superior next summer. Any suggestions as to where to stay and what to be sure to see? Also wondering how many days will it take? We will be leaving from our camper in the Rice Lake Wisconsin area.
Mackinaw Bridge

Last edited by ironheaddave; 11-16-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:15 AM
Hunter55
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Checkout web page Ride Lake Superior.com they have developed a day by day tour around Lake Superior with recommendations on lodging-must see locations and food and beverage stops,we used some of their plan and created the rest ourselves,If all you want to do is ride I'm sure 4-5 days would be plenty but if you really want to see whats available 7-8 days would advisable,our trip started in N/Illinois and went through lower Mi.Im pretty sure you are referring to the Mackinaw Bridge and yep there's plenty of a@@ puckering happening there if you haven't crossed a steel grate bridge before,the only bridge in Sault S. Marie was leading to the border crossing but not a problem other than the wait,we spent 14 days 2896 miles and wish we had taken even longer in certain locations but we really enjoy the History as well as the out of the way locations,just depends on what you make of it and your available time of course,do your research and plan well in advance but be flexible motels-restaurant-and fuel are plentiful but can be many miles apart,have a small amount of Canadian currency with you but use credit card for most purchase's it will always get you the best exchange rate available.Enjoy the ride and Be safe

Old 11-16-2015, 01:02 PM
smithk
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hunter55
Checkout web page Ride Lake Superior.com they have developed a day by day tour around Lake Superior with recommendations on lodging-must see locations and food and beverage stops,we used some of their plan and created the rest ourselves,If all you want to do is ride I'm sure 4-5 days would be plenty but if you really want to see whats available 7-8 days would advisable,our trip started in N/Illinois and went through lower Mi.Im pretty sure you are referring to the Mackinaw Bridge and yep there's plenty of a@@ puckering happening there if you haven't crossed a steel grate bridge before,the only bridge in Sault S. Marie was leading to the border crossing but not a problem other than the wait,we spent 14 days 2896 miles and wish we had taken even longer in certain locations but we really enjoy the History as well as the out of the way locations,just depends on what you make of it and your available time of course,do your research and plan well in advance but be flexible motels-restaurant-and fuel are plentiful but can be many miles apart,have a small amount of Canadian currency with you but use credit card for most purchase's it will always get you the best exchange rate available.Enjoy the ride and Be safe
When it comes to steel grate bridges, it's not the fact that you can see through to the water or the height that bothers me but that on some you ride with the grating and others you ride across the grating. When you right with the grating, you feel like the bike is on ice. There is a bridge like that in Savanna, Ill / Sabula, IA. Didn't want to down shift, apply brake and just held on. My old bike was a Softtail and now have a Street Glide Special which has a wider tire which might help in those situations.

Old 11-16-2015, 01:25 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Was planning on going this year but it didn't happen ran out of time (the wife couldn't get the time off) but here is a trip planner I did for the ride

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Superior Round About 2015.pdf (187.2 KB, 117 views)

Quick Reply: Ride around Lake Superior