Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southern Maine

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 09:08 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Southern Maine

Gonna be riding southern Maine the 1st week in August. Need some advice on a base hub in Maine and recommendations on any roads/places to go.

Thanks

Old 01-10-2016, 09:50 PM
Droop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bentley's Saloon and Campground Call ahead if your planning to camp. They do have a motel as well.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:49 AM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are also many motels/hotels near Arundel (if Bentleys is where you want to be). Are you planning on seacoast riding, loop rides of S Maine, big rides out of one area etc.

Note, the reason I ask is that early Aug is VERY busy even on weekdays (I reckon you can see more going slow though :-) ) so it is something to keep in mind, particularly on the seacoast itself. Not trying to discourage it since it is beautiful but big mile rides along the seacoast don't generally occur so one should plan accordingly.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Boothbay Harbor in Maine is a great place to put your feet up and chill for a couple of days. Take the Cabbage Island trip with the lobster bake, but go hungry!!

Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,030 Likes on 1,857 Posts

Originally Posted by davedyna
There are also many motels/hotels near Arundel (if Bentleys is where you want to be). Are you planning on seacoast riding, loop rides of S Maine, big rides out of one area etc.

Note, the reason I ask is that early Aug is VERY busy even on weekdays (I reckon you can see more going slow though :-) ) so it is something to keep in mind, particularly on the seacoast itself. Not trying to discourage it since it is beautiful but big mile rides along the seacoast don't generally occur so one should plan accordingly.
Dave,s correct here---I spend many hrs and miles riding Maine--if $$ isnt a concern , the many motels that scatter the coastline From Wells-Portland are hard to come by for rooms in August--book early!! A $69 room in April is $249 in August and up--Bentleys books rooms the 1st day they become available . Rt1 is crazy on weekends,weekdays are better----I guess knowing some things like food/beer/ being close by at night so you dont ride would narrow down the motel choices-------I stay in Wells[9 miles south of Bentleys] frequent the establishment many times----there are many awesome rides inland--also up to Mt Washington NH and back in a day is easy--Laconia 70 miles west--lots to see and ride---just remember also that time of year the restaurants are usually an hr wait unless you get there at 4:30--Have fun probably run by you on your journey---Rocker

Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Hunter55
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im also in the planning stages to ride NH-Maine- New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and was planning to be there the first week August, what time of year would you recommend,we have 3-4 weeks but would prefer a little warm weather.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:30 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunter55
Im also in the planning stages to ride NH-Maine- New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and was planning to be there the first week August, what time of year would you recommend,we have 3-4 weeks but would prefer a little warm weather.
I've got friends in Maine. Suggest you go that day in July they call summah, ayuh. Like others said, US1 traffic is wicked awful, ayuh. But if you are determined to ride it, hit El's Fried Clams in York, Bentley's in Arundel, might as well do LL Beans in Freeport, visit Boothbay Harbor and have a Sat night dinner (beans & franks) at Moody's Diner in Waldoboro, ayuh. And remember, you can't get they-ah from hee-ah. Ayuh! Seriously, go in late July through early Sept.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by davedyna

Big miles are not the goal, neither is sitting in traffic....lol. I am sure we would hit the coast one day at least, then in land for a couple. A big concern is a good place to hang out after riding and sit around and have some beers and shoot the ****. haven't seen some of these guys in 30 yrs so some story telling will be happening...lol

Old 01-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Buzz 3
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rocker NH
Dave,s correct here---I spend many hrs and miles riding Maine--if $$ isnt a concern , the many motels that scatter the coastline From Wells-Portland are hard to come by for rooms in August--book early!! A $69 room in April is $249 in August and up--Bentleys books rooms the 1st day they become available . Rt1 is crazy on weekends,weekdays are better----I guess knowing some things like food/beer/ being close by at night so you dont ride would narrow down the motel choices-------I stay in Wells[9 miles south of Bentleys] frequent the establishment many times----there are many awesome rides inland--also up to Mt Washington NH and back in a day is easy--Laconia 70 miles west--lots to see and ride---just remember also that time of year the restaurants are usually an hr wait unless you get there at 4:30--Have fun probably run by you on your journey---Rocker
$$ is always a concern. $250 a night is way out of line. Food/beer at night is a must. Camping not an option for some of the group. We will be in Stowe/Burlington area for a few days before heading to Maine, so the coast and north and up could be good. I have never been to Maine except Bentleys while at Laconia and not sure where to zero in for base to ride from for a few days.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzz 3
$$ is always a concern. $250 a night is way out of line. Food/beer at night is a must. Camping not an option for some of the group. We will be in Stowe/Burlington area for a few days before heading to Maine, so the coast and north and up could be good. I have never been to Maine except Bentleys while at Laconia and not sure where to zero in for base to ride from for a few days.

From past trips up in ME, NH, & VT I would suggest you ride Smugglers Notch (back road Burlington-Stowe) and as much of Rte 100 in VT as you can fit in. To save money, we stayed in the Lewiston-Auburn area in Maine. Its about 30 miles north of Portland. Not a tourist area, so hotels were less expensive, the area had enough hotels and restaurants & was only an hour or so ride to the mountains (Rangeley & Sugarloaf) & to the ocean, either north (Boothbay Harbor) or south (Bentley's) of Portland. Up there, they call the Lewiston-Auburn area Central Maine, but looking at a map, it looks like Southwestern Maine to me.

Quick Reply: Southern Maine