Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

July Trip Oakland East Bay, CA to Fayetteville, AR

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:37 AM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts
Default July Trip Oakland East Bay, CA to Fayetteville, AR

Good morning all, my wife and I are starting to plan our road trip from here in California to visit my mom in Fayetteville, AR in July. We are looking at taking a northerly route from here up towards Salt Lake City, through Idaho, and across. The return we haven't decided yet. We have allotted three weeks for the round trip with probably 4-5 days with mom.

I am not familiar with the routes going East and West or any of the secondary highways that may be better for us to travel, we are not locked into any route and I am soliciting ideas. We would like nice roads, scenery, gas and lodging available on the route other than that everything else would be bonus material. All of the route planners I have attempted to use want to route us the southern route through AZ, NM, Texas etc...seems like it may be a bit too warm then.

I know we have some great and experienced travelers here that might share their thoughts, experiences and recommendations.

Thanks in advance. Ken

Old 02-27-2016, 11:50 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

It's going to be a little toasty getting to AR in July no matter the route.

Look at going up to Tahoe/Carson City and taking US50 across NV into UT. The higher elevations will help with the heat. I think it's a nice ride, too, but I also like the high desert. Did that a few years ago. Longest distance between gas stops is 111 miles from Fallon, NV to Austin, NV. Just buy gas when you see it. There is a gas station/quickshop on the NV/UT state line.

In UT get on I70 east. Scenic and not much traffic. Also places to pull off and gawk at the scenery. You might take a detour to Moab and Arches Natl Park, too.

At Grand Junction, CO take US550 south to Durango. From Ouray to Durango it's steep and twisty in places so you need to be okay with mountain riding. Then take US160 east to Walsenburg.

Alternately, take US50 east at Montrose to just west of Canon City. Take CO69 south to Walsenburg. Also a nice ride. One of my favorite roads in CO.

Then work your way south and east across KS and OK. Lots of roads to choose from.

So many roads, so little time.

Last edited by gtmalone; 02-27-2016 at 11:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MajorKG (03-05-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:37 PM
MajorKG
Club Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Thanks, sounds like some great ideas!

Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 AM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 608 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorKG
Good morning all, my wife and I are starting to plan our road trip from here in California to visit my mom in Fayetteville, AR in July. We are looking at taking a northerly route from here up towards Salt Lake City, through Idaho, and across. The return we haven't decided yet. We have allotted three weeks for the round trip with probably 4-5 days with mom.

I am not familiar with the routes going East and West or any of the secondary highways that may be better for us to travel, we are not locked into any route and I am soliciting ideas. We would like nice roads, scenery, gas and lodging available on the route other than that everything else would be bonus material. All of the route planners I have attempted to use want to route us the southern route through AZ, NM, Texas etc...seems like it may be a bit too warm then.

I know we have some great and experienced travelers here that might share their thoughts, experiences and recommendations.

Thanks in advance. Ken
Don't worry too much about the heat going through AZ and NM. The northern part of both states lie on the Colorado plateau which is a mile high in elevation in quite a few areas. It can be in the low 90's on a hot day but it is a very dry climate. Check out the average temps in some of the towns you will be passing through.