Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Some Skyline Drive Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Some Skyline Drive Questions

I'm in upstate PA. Since September, I've been going to Norfolk every 6 weeks or so, to visit some people. Always took 81 to 66 to 17 to Fredericksburg. Father's Day weekend I decided to go a different route, and went 81 to 64, and stayed overnight in Waynesboro. I've been down there before, but not until last weekend did I realize what a beautiful part of the world that western part of VA is. It's nice up here where I am in PA, but the mountains are just "different" in VA, and I'd love to ride around down there sometime.

If I ride the bike to Waynesboro sometime, how long (with a few stops for scenery, lunch, etc) will it take to ride Skyline Drive from that Rockfish Gap entrance at exit 99, up to Front Royal? According to Maps, it's over a hundred miles, but how much time --- 5 hours to stop & see & do stuff? I heard we should stop at Luray Caverns on the way up too. What else should we stop & see? I have NO desire to do the T.O.D. --- I have a Limited Ultra, and I wouldn't look forward to all the curves. Would only half of Skyline Drive (up to Luray) be enough if you're not crazy about the twisties? I heard that it might be, but I'm more inclined to "tough it out" since I'm there! So I can say that I did it once! Do you like the ride heading north, or do you prefer to go south on Skyline, or doesn't it matter?

Any tips & info could be a help. Thanks.

Last edited by Geezr Glidr; 06-21-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 PM
ltmdl90
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a slow pace on the skyline. 25 mph or 35 mph don't remember what it was last time down for me.

I live in western, Pa and it took me a day to ride down to skyline and ride 1/2 way on it.
Stayed on route 33 in Harrisonburg, Va.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:02 PM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Majority of Skyline is 35 MPH speed limit with a few areas with 25 MPH speed limit, so end to end would take just over 3 hours without stopping. The southern part of Skyline is mostly riding through the woods while the section north of the US 211 intersection, approximately 33 miles from the northern end, has pull offs on either side of the road to see down into the valleys. 211 is where you would exit heading west to go to Luray Caverns. The section north of 211 is where I have seen most of the large animals on Skyline Drive (deer and bear).

Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

We ride the skyline drive every year. It is 35 miles per hour. If you only going to do half I would suggest the southern half. Reason being the north end the overlooks are looking at the same valley for many miles. I highly suggest stopping at one of the wayside areas for a blackberry milkshake. Pricey but very good. If you ride the whole thing nonstop I guess you could do it in about 4 hours. Many trails to stop and do a little hike and that is where you'd be most likely to see wildlife. Back to the wayside areas the one at roughly the halfway point has a little museum in it.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:52 AM
rydeer
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always gotten stuck behind a Motorhome and You can't Pass. Some Great views, But otherwise a pretty boring ride. No Real "Twisties" at 25 Mph. The TOD Has Twisties and I did it on a Road King. Once was enough to Say I did it! Like You Said it's a touring bike not a Sport Bike.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:07 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah, plan on 4 hours - which would include time for a few stops. Most of the pull-outs will take a couple minutes to see, the visitor centers will take a bit longer. Do the whole thing, unless you plan to return soon.

I've ridden it both ways and either is fine. Whatever is most convenient to you.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would agree with 1200 and racinghoss that ~4 hours should be fine with a couple of stops thrown in if you are weekday riding. I go in Sept. and that is plenty of time and Luray is not far away so a day for all of it, two at max. Skyline is ~105 miles. BTW -- thanks for the tips on riding through PA over Wagoners Gap etc. took your route recommendation and had an excellent ride back up from Hershey/York to Binghampton.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Yep ... and a speed limit of 35 mph

Old 06-27-2016, 07:54 AM
viiiball
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I ride Skyline Drive all the time as we only live about 45 minutes north. It is 35 mph in almost all areas. Down to 25 mph near the waysides. If you are there on the weekend it will be more crowded with cars but not overly (unless its during the leaf changing season). Yes you might get stuck behind a slower car but there are generally places to pass so just be patient. Luray Caverns is awesome if you've never experienced something like that. Its about 10 miles or so west of Skyline Dr.

Skyline is a very pleasant road. You won't see anyone zipping on it and its not "twisty" like the TOD so its a very easy ride. I am happy to answer any specific questions for you as I said I am there all the time.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks all. I think I have a plan!