Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Durango

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:45 AM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Also, it is a college town so there are a ton of dive bars and little hole in the wall places. Some good some not.

Excellent people watching.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:57 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

taking the train from Durango to silverton, what side do we reserve for the best seats?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Captnpirate
There is a great BBQ place next to the Harley Dealership in Durango. Do the 300 mile loop as it is awesome!! Took these with my drone last year!!

Excellent pics!!
Very impressive and with a drone?
Enquiring minds want to know how this is done?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
taking the train from Durango to Silverton, what side do we reserve for the best seats?
Taking the train both ways is an all day affair. Best to go one way they have a bus that will take you back.
The best side is the east side. That's the right when going to Silverton and the left on the way back to Durango.
It's a must do.

Also ride the Million Dollar Highway 550 to Ouray. Then loop west to Highway 145 That will take you by Lizard Head pass and Mount Wilson. That loop is the best motorcycle ride in the US. Not so good in a car. You'd always want to be looking up.

There are lots of good restaurants in Durango and very few chains. Some excellent brew pubs such as Carvers or Steamworks.
Steamworks is my top recommendation for food and beer.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:00 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,249 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
have been to durango on the bike 3 times, we just strolled into town and able to get a room. If there is one thing you do there, you have to ride from durango to silverton to ouray, unbeliveable

and if time allows, go over to telluride, we never stayed in telluride, it is very high dollar but it has a bunch of cool bars and restruants
The wife and I rode the train there back in `08. For me the highlight of the train ride was on the return trip just before coming back into the town of Durango. Four chicks mooned the train from the other side of the river. Damn! I wasn`t fast enough with the camera to get that shot. `Wife was giving me the "fish eye" the whole time.....

Old 07-21-2016, 09:43 AM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ROUNDHEAD
We stayed at Alpen Rose in a toyhauler RV. Too old to tent camp. Did not see any tents at that place, but, was not looking for them either.

Probably the KOA is your best bet.

I was at hat camp site last eek as well..! I bough my toy hauler and we enjoyed the area very much.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:04 AM
interceptor_1972
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heading to the Durango Co area in few weeks and looking for ideas on where to stay in that area? something with nightlife and food...
We've been to Durango a few times, though never on the bike yet. Almost always tent camped at the KOA Kampground but they also have nice Kabins if you prefer that. Plenty of nightlife and good food depending on your taste. Look on Yelp or Tripadvisor for reviews of many eateries.

I see Pagosa springs has few hotels with hot springs that looks interesting but the one is booked for our dates...
If you're not able to stay in Pagosa Springs, try staying in Ouray - especially after riding the Million Dollar Highway from Durango to Ouray via Silverton, Ouray is a nice place to stay and relax. They do have a hot springs there, though it can be a busy and crowded one. Ouray also has a KOA Kampground that's further north and relatively secluded if you like some peace and quiet.

anyone been to mesa verda? what kind time frame to see that?
Mesa Verde National Park will take about a full day if you do a tour of the cave dwellings. Interesting history but the ride itself isn't anything to write home about. If you venture towards Mesa Verde, take the short hop to the 4 Corners area. The road was closed during our visit, so we never made it there.

recommendations for white water rafting companies in Durango?
We looked into this during our stay there, but never had enough time to do it. I believe at the time, the 4 Corners Whitewater was one of the better rated and recommended ones. There are several places to choose from.

the train is really 100$ one way? yikes
Don't recall it being that high, but it is a nice experience. Like someone mentioned earlier, if you do the train as a round trip, it will take a whole day. 3 - 4 hours each direction with an hour or two stop in Silverton. Definitely worth doing if you have the time - if you're short on time, take the train to Silverton and ride the bus back. It'll shave a few hours.

If you do have the time, make the short hop to Telluride - lots of eateries, but many are commercialized and a heavy tourist spot. Another place to check out is further north east, via Pagosa Springs - in the San Juan mountain range - head towards South Fork and up 149 via Creede to Lake City. Another quaint little town and a great stop for lunch, after which you can continue up towards Gunnison.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:24 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

taking the train from Durango to silverton, what side do we reserve for the best seats?
We had seats on the right side (east going up). They were great seats. I joked with the conductor that I wanted my money back for the seats. We did not use them any on the way up.

Take the bus back from Silverton. It makes for a long day riding the train back and seeing the same thing you saw that morning. 3+ hour ride.

I think our seats were like $85 each. You will have to pay a little extra to ride the bus back.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:44 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks everyone for the info(keep it coming) we are booking train\raft deal
takes you on the train 2 hr north then you jump off the train and float down Rockwood box..
thanks again you guys are a ton of help...

Old 07-22-2016, 08:48 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

for those that camped Koa in Durango and Ouray how many tents to a site?

Quick Reply: Durango