Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Kebler Pass Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorthosCO
_I_ enjoy that ride. The town of gateway doesn't have a whole bunch there. The car museum is cool, and there is resort and restaurant.
For scenery you'll get sand stone cliffs and nice twisty road by the river. There's a pretty neat pull off with a flume hanging on the side of the canyon. Between Naturita and Gateway. You can't miss it. It's a vertical **** and twisty there. The road there runs north to Grand Junction from gateway.
Thanks PorthosCO
We'll be riding into GJ. Than head south over the Gateway and then East thru Montrose on to Gunnison.

I put this route together yesterday based on comments here. This is NOT going over Kebler pass. If weather is dry, I think I'd rather head up to Crested Butte and over Kebler then loop back around to Montrose and down to Mexican Hat.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...4&locale=en_US

So we'll probably keep the two options open and decide as we go.
How's this route look?

Thanks all

Last edited by Hockey Stick; 08-01-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:05 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick

Would that be the 114 > 285 > 112 ? Or are you saying the 149 ?
Maybe hit Aspen on the 82, then on to Gunnison and South Fork, then on to Durango from there?

Also, On the north/west end, I've heard the Gateway (141) is a good ride. Any comment?

Thanks
I think the 149 is a really nice ride. I have never ridden the 141

Old 08-01-2016, 08:50 PM
PorthosCO
Road Master

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
Thanks PorthosCO
We'll be riding into GJ. Than head south over the Gateway and then East thru Montrose on to Gunnison.

I put this route together yesterday based on comments here. This is NOT going over Kebler pass. If weather is dry, I think I'd rather head up to Crested Butte and over Kebler then loop back around to Montrose and down to Mexican Hat.

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...4&locale=en_US

So we'll probably keep the two options open and decide as we go.
How's this route look?

Thanks all
That looks like a fun route to me. You are going to see about all the variety in terrain SW Colorado has to offer.

The following users liked this post:
Hockey Stick (08-01-2016)
Old 01-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi All
(I also posted this in the CO forum section)

Will be making this ride through CO sometime late June or early July. May is too early.

Will be coming in to Grand Junction from UT and staying the night then the next few days riding CO. Below is our general plan.
I know we can do about 400 ~ 500 miles in a day, but with some of the roads and watching for scenery and stops, I'm thinking we should plan for less miles per day.

Looking to get some help here, as well as maybe some out of the way, biker friendly stops (Bars) along the way.

From GJ heading down the 141 thru Gateway and on to Montrose. Then from Monthrose on to Gunnison. I'm thinking this will be 1 day ?

From Gunnison we have a couple of options.

If Kebler Pass is open and dry, may head up 135 to Crested Butte, up to Summerset, then back down the 92 to the 50. Then down the 149 to Southfork. 1 full day?

If Kebler Pass is a no go, then from Gunnison we head down the 149. From Southfork, we will head back west thru Durango, Four Corners, and on to Mexican Hat, UT. Probably not a full day, but will stay in Mex Hat to rest up and start the UT portion the next day.

Any help on this plan cut up into sections as I have them or if I should adjust is greatly appreciated.
And like I said, any good stops along this route or at the planned destinations, also appreciated!

Thanks