Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Kebler Pass Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kebler Pass Colorado

Hi All

I'm in the very early stages of planning a road trip from So Cal through parts of CO and UT.

I've been wanting to ride around the Gunnison Nat'l Forest. I'm thinking we will need to run Kebler Pass CR 12 and I see it is typically closed Nov thru May.
I know it's unpaved and that's not too much of a concern. But wouldn't want to be riding through mud.
The planned dates would be around Memorial day 2017, so end May / early June.

Anyone have any input on road conditions about that time of year?
If conditions are typically wet, is there any other suggestion for a route in that area?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2016, 12:10 AM
PorthosCO
Road Master

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Well, bear in mind I've never been over that pass. But I would imagine it should be mostly clear - depending on snow amounts and temp. It's only 10000 ft so day time temps should be pretty warm by June. Paved passes not going to crested butte in the area would be monarch and slumgullion, probably not on your route.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:41 AM
PorthosCO
Road Master

Wow Kebler sounds sketchy. It's a county road, not maintained by CDOT and they had to repair it this year because a chunk of it slid off the hill. Your best bet would be to call gunnison county roads when the time gets closer.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:07 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Been a few years since I went over it but what I recall was a had packed road with the tops of boulders exposed and potholes of water. Much better dual sport road but after making a few local inquiries and if the feedback was positive I'd do it because it opens up a lot of country that otherwise is a one way trip in and out.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

I have ridden the pass in July. Nice road and not challenging, but it was dry. At this time of the year, it would not be possible to predict the road conditions. Gonna have to make that call on the day of the ride. The road between Gunnison and South Fork is a great ride. Aspen is a really nice town, especially for people watching.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:10 AM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rathgar
because it opens up a lot of country that otherwise is a one way trip in and out.
Yeah, that's why I'm looking into it as well. It's only 30 miles so not very long.
As you all are saying, I'll need to check more as the time gets closer, and watch the weather. So I'll plan for optional routes.

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
The road between Gunnison and South Fork is a great ride. Aspen is a really nice town, especially for people watching.
Would that be the 114 > 285 > 112 ? Or are you saying the 149 ?
Maybe hit Aspen on the 82, then on to Gunnison and South Fork, then on to Durango from there?

Also, On the north/west end, I've heard the Gateway (141) is a good ride. Any comment?

Thanks

Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I rode it several years ago in August on a sport touring bike, a Honda ST1300. No problems, it's unpaved but very smooth and dry. Late May may be different because of the continuing snow melt. It's more likely to be wet and muddy.

Old 07-31-2016, 04:12 PM
One Terrific Hog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode the Kebler Pass in early June last year on a solo trip out west. Really was a nice ride road had a lot of wash board affect so you could not go very fast in places but you know the scenery was so cool it was worth it. I did see a U.S. Forestry Service campground that really looked appealing that you might check out if you are camping (probably rough but looked accessible). I dropped in a couple of shots as well the first is one of the mountain faces toward the end of the ride and the second is in the forest of Aspens. Some dude on the way to a wedding stopped and offered to take the shot. How could I refuse? Just a really cool ride.

Attached Thumbnails Kebler Pass Colorado-img_1080.jpg   Kebler Pass Colorado-img_1075.jpg  
Old 07-31-2016, 10:22 PM
Hockey Stick
Road Master

Wow.. Very nice OTH

Looks dry too. The scenery is killer.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:54 AM
PorthosCO
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hockey Stick
Also, On the north/west end, I've heard the Gateway (141) is a good ride. Any comment?

Thanks
_I_ enjoy that ride. The town of gateway doesn't have a whole bunch there. The car museum is cool, and there is resort and restaurant.
For scenery you'll get sand stone cliffs and nice twisty road by the river. There's a pretty neat pull off with a flume hanging on the side of the canyon. Between Naturita and Gateway. You can't miss it. It's a vertical **** and twisty there. The road there runs north to Grand Junction from gateway.

Quick Reply: Kebler Pass Colorado