Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New Hampshire.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:34 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts
Default New Hampshire.

Thinking of riding to New Hampshire early September. Going to be staying in the area of the white mountains. Hopefully camping if I can fit the gear on the bike for two people. I know mt washingtons weather can be finicky but hoping to ride up it. We will only be there a day or two. Any other suggested rides or must sees in the area?

Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM
Dcampri
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm partial to the west side of the Kanc (Lincoln/Woodstock) for where to stay. Much less busy than North Conway. The Kanc is a must, Rt 302, Rt 16 to Errol, Rt 26 through Dixville Notch. That's only a sampling. Plenty of nice riding in NH. Go to newenglandriders.org for many more Rt suggestions. NH is probably the most bike friendly state in NE. As far as Mt Washington you are right, weather is a big factor. If too windy the private road is sometimes closed to bikes and if clouds, visibility can be minimal. Personally, I wouldn't do that to my bike. Constant low gear on way up and breaking on way down. I've even seen car brakes catch on fire on the way down.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:02 AM
buffettphan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dcampri
I'm partial to the west side of the Kanc (Lincoln/Woodstock) for where to stay. Much less busy than North Conway. The Kanc is a must, Rt 302, Rt 16 to Errol, Rt 26 through Dixville Notch. That's only a sampling. Plenty of nice riding in NH. Go to newenglandriders.org for many more Rt suggestions. NH is probably the most bike friendly state in NE. As far as Mt Washington you are right, weather is a big factor. If too windy the private road is sometimes closed to bikes and if clouds, visibility can be minimal. Personally, I wouldn't do that to my bike. Constant low gear on way up and breaking on way down. I've even seen car brakes catch on fire on the way down.
Spot on!!!!!!! As you can see in my profile pic, Mt Washington in the background. Do the notches and the whole length of the Kanc from Bath to Conway etc etc etc

Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Also when you get into September the temperature change from day to night can be 40 degrees --bring appropriate clothing --16/2/212/302/115/115a and 113a into maine through Evan,s notch can all be ridden in a couple different loops in 2 days---have fun-enjoy New Hampshire,s beauty ----Rocker

Old 08-18-2016, 11:31 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I love that area, up there every fall.

We usually stay in Bartlett...such as rent one of the condos in Nordic Lodge (just search on VRBO)...or if I'm wanting a romantic trip with the wife, stay in the Snowflake Inn in Jackson.

Red Parka...great steakhouse! Awesome wings there too.
Red Fox Bar & Grill....good food, great Sunday brunch
Shannon Pub...old Irish pub, crowded, good food 'n drink.
Wildcat Tavern pretty good too.

Anyways...for riding, yeah the Kank is pretty good...everyone hits it, and some parts of it are pretty neat.

But honestly...there's soooo much more to see, and IMO..better...if you spend a little time and head north, and west. Much more wide open, expanse, and hardly any traffic. Great great scenery! Freaking jaw dropping scenery!

Mt Washington itself...yup, love it, up at the top is one of my favorite places on earth...I try to get up there each year.

BUT...spend some time riding up Rt 16, 302, 2, and 3. Meander all around. North of Mt Washington, and heading west. Make sure to slip through Franconia Notch...where 93/3 goes past it. I love going through Carroll 'n Bethlehem areas...that whole area north 'n west of Mt Wash.

Also go over that little red covered bridge into the tiny downtown of Jackson NH...and head north 'n east a bit, Black Mountain..and that whole area. Small quiet twisty roads with good scenery. Horseback riding on Black Mountain is fun w/the woman.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:54 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the info!! We are actually going 8/26 now because I couldn't get off work in September. We are going to be camping at lost river campground. Again thanks for the tips and great roads to ride

Old 08-18-2016, 12:02 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,146 Likes on 1,508 Posts

My favorite spot atop Mt Wash..

Old 08-22-2016, 01:30 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Try 117 off of 302 through Sugar Hill (West to East) then right onto 18 through Franconia town until you reach Cannon Mountain. The head left and you will come into Franconia Notch head south through the Notch and take one of the exits to Rt 3 and follow to Woodstock. You can pick up the Kanc or make a loop on 112 back to 302 (left goes to the Kanc in Woodstock on 112, right is Lost River and heads west. Woodstock Inn or Truants Tavern are good stops for a bite in Woodstock when you come in. If you take the Kanc out of Woodstock you can take Bear Notch Road off of it and jump over to Crawford Notch (302) the go up route 3 and grab Route 2 and head to Route 16, Pinkham Notch where Mount Washington Auto road resides. I have hiked (also ridden it) the mountain and had temps go from 85 at the base to 30 at the summit on Labor day weekend so be prepared as others mentioned. Depending where you stay we can shout out some routes. Plenty of campgrounds around off the Kanc and in North Conway which is a good centralized area to ride from. Totally agree with riding the "Great White North" up 16 to 26 across to Colebrook through Dixville Notch and ride down Rt 3 (or up to the border and back down)or zig zag back and forth across 110/2/115. Enjoy, Sept is awesome riding in the mountain areas of NH (not on labor day weekend though)

Old 08-22-2016, 07:39 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior

We are staying at a campground off route 122 just west of Lincoln. Place called lost river valley campground. I can see already I'm not going to have anywhere near enough time to take in all the great roads and sights. I'm considering heading towards the coast in Maine while up that way as its only a 2 1/2 hour ride to Portland no see that have a nice light house there which I like. I call also say I've been in Maine which will knock out the last of the New England states for me. Mount Washington is a definite stop if weather permits. The Kanc and 302 will be easy loops from where I'm staying. I'm really looking forward to this trip and can already see I'm going to have to plan another longer one in the future. Stay tuned for details and pictures of the trip

Old 08-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Dcampri
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a condo in North Woodstock and was contemplating taking the bike up Labor Day weekend (from RI) or alternatively caging it up and hiking. I think your description of all the rides I love up in NH just swayed me to ride.

Quick Reply: New Hampshire.