Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 03:58 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Riding in the rain

My wife and I, and another couple have just returned from back to back weekend trips. This time with my wife as a passenger (she does have her own bike). Last weekend we went to the Smokies in North Carolina, using Maggie Valley as our base. This weekend we went the opposite direction, staying in the Syracuse, NY area (my buddy's sister lives in one of the old, rural towns outside of the city). This trip included a day trip to Niagara Falls. This was a pair of awesome trips!

The only rain we hit was in the NC mountains, but it was heavy downpours, and hit us both days we were there, thankfully only briefly.

What I want to comment on is that I noticed during the first downpour (which also happened during the dark of night, after about 12 hours of riding) that my riding skills seem to evaporate under these conditions:

I stiffen up, I grip the bars with a death grip, and end up looking straight ahead (not looking through the turns).

I made a conscious effort the following day, when we ended up in rain while on the BRP, to stay relaxed (as much as possible while being pelted in the face with raindrops), look all the way through the turns and push on the bars when initiating a turn - all basic stuff. But what a difference!

I've been riding for over 20 years, and have pretty good skills most of the time. I certainly know the basics, and lately have been working to try to improve my skills, with success. Amazing how a little stressed from wet roads (and slippery conditions) cause the basic stuff to go out the window, when it's needed most!

Old 09-05-2016, 04:09 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I also dislike riding in the rain. One of the main reasons I moved to California in 1976 was for the riding weather. For six months a year, it almost never rains and I don't carry my rain suit with me. During the other six months it does rain but the rain is quite predictable. It's not like the mid west or the east where you can be caught unaware by a summer thunder storm. That almost never happens in California.

All that said, I made sure to buy gear that is waterproof. My jackets and pants are all waterproof. I have a pair of waterproof gloves that I carry in the saddle bag. And I just bought a new pair of boots that are also waterproof. My main riding boots were designed for mid west utility workers who in the winter might have to be working outside and sloshing through the slush. They have served me well for the last 20 years but now need to be replaced. I got a great deal from Dennis Kirk on a pair of engineer boots by Milwaukee Performance Footwear and saw the ad on the right side of this forum. They were only $139, shipping included. And they are waterproof.

As for riding skills, I slow down, leave the bike in one gear higher then I normally do. And I bought the Switchback for ABS. I wish they would also program the sensors for traction control as some other bikes have done.

So I'm good for riding in the rain, I just don't like it. I don't leave the garage if it is raining.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:24 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well.... Living in the northeast, I never leave home on my bike without rain gear, except by mistake.

I will set out in the rain if it's a planned trip and we have reservations or something. I have ridden many miles in the rain and of course don't like it. I don't think anyone LIKES to ride in the rain.

It's only just recently that I realized my own reaction to the rain regarding riding skills. The situation was extreme: pitch dark; lots of cars going both dorections, so headlight and taillight glare; narrow, winding mountain road in unfamiliar territory.

Once I realized what I was doing, I corrected it at least to some extent.

But it was a bit hairy...

Old 09-05-2016, 08:35 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't know if anyone likes riding in the rain but I know at least one guy who doesn't mind. I have a friend who lives in Scotland. It is always raining in Scotland. He's been riding for 50 years. He is one of those rare people who has a license to ride a motorcycle, but has never had a license to drive a car. Rain doesn't phase him.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:57 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Can't say I enjoy it but I've done a lot of it. My bike is my daily driver. My policy is if it isn't raining when I open the garage door I take the bike regardless of the forecast. I'd rather ride my bike in the rain than drive a car. I've taken a number of long trips in the rain. In fact, my wife and I rode a Honda 750 from Atlanta to Daytona for Bike Week in the rain on our honeymoon (it snowed on us on the way home). It's all about the gear. I don't pinch pennies when it comes to essential riding apparel. Once I make sure I am as physically comfortable as I can possibly be (dry and warm) the rest of it comes down to being careful. Slow down, maintain plenty of following distance, watch out for stale green lights, etc. I want to make sure I don't have to jam on the brakes if at all possible. Beyond that I just make sure I don't ride too fast for my abilities and don't outride my field of vision. Just basic motorcycle safety stuff. It doesn't really scare me to ride in bad weather although I would prefer 70 and sunny with low humidity if I could choose. Unfortunately, most of us don't get to choose those conditions if we want to ride every day.

Old 09-06-2016, 12:28 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I recently rode the BRP at night in pea soup fog. It took 4 hours to go 60 miles.
The next day it rained so hard that my bike would frequently 'stutter' because the rain was getting into the air cleaner. First time that's ever happened.

I'm not afraid of the rain, but I sure don't like riding in it. I'm always careful during the first 30 minutes or so of rain until all the grime gets rinsed off the roadway. Just have to stay relaxed and adjust for the conditions by increasing following distance and speed. When you tense up your ability to react to the road is compromised.

Part of my rain gear is a large light weight nylon wind breaker with a hood. I put it on over my rain jacket, with the hood up and then the helmet. It keeps the rain from running off the helmet and down my neck and back under my clothes.
(Also keeps me warmer.)

The following users liked this post:
ncdeekay (09-06-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 04:39 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I recently rode the BRP at night in pea soup fog. It took 4 hours to go 60 miles.
The next day it rained so hard that my bike would frequently 'stutter' because the rain was getting into the air cleaner. First time that's ever happened.

I'm not afraid of the rain, but I sure don't like riding in it. I'm always careful during the first 30 minutes or so of rain until all the grime gets rinsed off the roadway. Just have to stay relaxed and adjust for the conditions by increasing following distance and speed. When you tense up your ability to react to the road is compromised.

Part of my rain gear is a large light weight nylon wind breaker with a hood. I put it on over my rain jacket, with the hood up and then the helmet. It keeps the rain from running off the helmet and down my neck and back under my clothes.
(Also keeps me warmer.)
Good idea to pass along. I do the same thing even though my jacket is waterproof. I don't like rain seeping down the back of my neck.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:59 PM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

I honestly can't see for **** in the rain! I either wait it out, or park it....so far I've not needed to be somewhere on time.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM
ncdeekay
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Unless I absolutely have no choice, (seldom these days) when the rain gets that hard I find a place to get out and wait it out. I'm a little like the OP and tend to tense a little more in hard rain and find myself focusing too close to the front wheel and the mountain roads are no place to not be looking through the curves.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:30 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,496 Likes on 1,605 Posts

I've been riding for 47+years (yes, the time does fly by after a while).
I used to love (when I was younger)riding at night, sometimes even all night long and rain didn't really bother me that much.
After I experienced what could have been a very bad experience with a doe near Terre Haute, Indiana several years ago, I've totally lost my interest in night driving.
I still ride in the rain but I can tell that I'm much more cautious than I used to be and usually that's when I start thinking about (my next move) to a Tri-Glide.

The last time we attempted to ride the BRP, we started off in Front Royal, VA on the Skyline Drive and that 105 miles took just under 5-1/2 hours due to wind, rain, fog, loose gravel and deer!
When you lose visibility it's time to find a safe place and wait the bad weather out.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain