Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

West Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 11:55 PM
firehouse18
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default West Virginia

I'm spending a week in West Virginia starting this Oct 10th. I am looking for suggestions for places to stay. I prefer to stay at one place and make day trips. Am open to any part of the state. Thanks

Old 09-11-2016, 08:17 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

That should be peak fall color in the higher elevations so Elkins area would be a good location. Good day rides in about any direction from there. Beckley is also not a bad base camp. New River Gorge area has a lot to do if you don't want to spend every day riding, and it's not that far to hit the higher elevations if you desire.

The following users liked this post:
firehouse18 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:06 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Not sure what you want to see/visit but I've stayed in Summersville at the LaQuinta and it's located near the New River Gorge Bridge and not too far from Hawk's Next Park.
The motel is right next door to a Bob Evans and within easy walking distance of an Applebee's and a Mexican restaurant.
Summersville is with an hour or so from Beckley and Charleston.

I've also stayed at the Quality Inn in Beckley and they have a lounge inside of the building. Their food is decent and there's lots of restaurants (Hooters too) within walking distance.

firehouse18 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-11-2016, 08:21 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

If I were to stay in one area of WV for a week, it would have to be near Canaan Valley. That puts you within easy riding distance of Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods, Smoke Hole and Spruce ****. Those are some of the most beautiful areas of the state.

BTW, go to Davis, that's where Blackwater Falls is. While you are there go to Hellbender Burrito. They have incredible, Nerf football sized burritos.

Petersburg would do it. Elkins is just a bit further out. Moorefield is within striking distance too.

The following 2 users liked this post by Flinter:
duglaura&flhti (09-13-2016), firehouse18 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:17 AM
racinghoss
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Flinter
If I were to stay in one area of WV for a week, it would have to be near Canaan Valley. That puts you within easy riding distance of Blackwater Falls, Seneca Rocks, Dolly Sods, Smoke Hole and Spruce ****. Those are some of the most beautiful areas of the state.

BTW, go to Davis, that's where Blackwater Falls is. While you are there go to Hellbender Burrito. They have incredible, Nerf football sized burritos.

Petersburg would do it. Elkins is just a bit further out. Moorefield is within striking distance too.

I'll second this.

firehouse18 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Chief2505
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

We spent a week in Princeton at a Hampton Inn. Lots of places to eat within walking distance and a couple others just a short drive away.

A lot of great roads in that area. We made 5 day trips out of there.

As someone told me when I was planning our trip "its West by god Virginia man! Every road is a great ride!"

firehouse18 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 03:35 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Places to Stay:
Clarksburg - Centrally located and can make decent time on US50 or I-79 to get you places you want to see.
Elkins - Great place to serve as your base camp as well
Grand Vue Park - Wheeling WV (Cabin Rental)

Places to Visit:
Cranberry Glades
Spruce ****
Canaan Valley State Park - Lodging Available
Blackwater Falls State Park - Lodging Available
New River Gorge
Dolly Sods
Snowshoe Resort
Cass Scenic Railroad

Roads you must ride:
US 250 from VA Border to Moundsville WV
WV 20 from New Martinsville WV to Bluewell WV
WV 16 from St Marys WV to Bishop WV
US 50 from Bridgeport/Clarksburg (I-79) to VA Border passing through a small section of MD
US220 from Harper WV to Keyser WV
US 33 from Ravenswood to VA Border
WV 2 from Chester WV to Huntington WV
US219 from Redhouse MD to Rich Creek VA

Places to Eat:
CJ Maggies - Buckhannon (Unique Establishment)
Fat Patty - Teays Valley (Biker Burger Joint)
Mountain State Brewery - Morgantown WV (Pizza & Craft Beer)
The Caboose - Clarksburg WV (Wings)
Undos - Benwood WV (Italian)
Hillbilly Hotdog - Lesage, WV (A unique hot dog joint)
Lil Moe's - Philippi WV (Wings)
Woody's Hotdog - Fairmont WV (Hotdog - Cash Only)
Quinet's - New Martinsville, WV
Black Sheep Burrito - Charleston WV (Craft Beer & Burritos)
Coach's Crab Shack - Morgantown, WV (Seafood)

The following 2 users liked this post by iRider:
duglaura&flhti (09-13-2016), firehouse18 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 10:09 PM
firehouse18
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to all, great ideas. We've decided to rent a cabin at Cheat River Lodge in Elkins. Plenty of good roads to ride.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:04 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by firehouse18
Thanks to all, great ideas. We've decided to rent a cabin at Cheat River Lodge in Elkins. Plenty of good roads to ride.

That's a pretty convenient location to do day rides on nice roads. A few I might suggest off the top of my head.

Northeast of Elkins on 219 is Parsons, continue up 219 to Thomas, right on 32 to Davis (Flinter's Hellbender Burrito is a good one), continue through Canaan Valley start down the hill and look for 72 on the right (Hendricks Road) take it to Hendricks and back to Parsons. That section of 72 is nice and there are small paved roads off it that are nice too but you'll need something more detailed than a state map.

For a destination ride, ride to my favorite restaurant in that area (Das Hutte Swiss restaurant) in Helvetia which is SE of Elkins. Take 219 south to Mill Creek then right to Adolph and Helvetia.

A little north of Elkins (just before 92 and 250 split) is Belington, take the left at the light to Audra State Park, continue to Rt 33. This is a fun, scenic little ride. You could take 33 east 10-12 miles, past the light and turn right and ride little roads to Helvetia through Norton, Mabie, Cassity, and Adolph.

From Elkins ride 33 east to Harrisonburg, 42 south to 250 then 250 west through Monterey, up and down the mountain then look for the two house town of Hightown (VA) and turn right on 640 through Blue Grass (very scenic and there's a little grocery store/delli) to Rt 220. Left on 220 and maybe 2 miles after crossing in to WV turn left on Snowy Mountain Road over to Rt 28.
From there left on 28 to 250 through Bartow, Durbin to 219 at Huttinsville.
Or right on 28 back to Seneca Rocks.

East of 220 running between 250 and 33 but staying in WV is nice riding on the little gray roads through Moyers, Sugar Grove, to Brandywine on 33.

Don't overlook the little gray roads in that area and have fun!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:39 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

All roads are pretty much a great place to ride in WV. Be safe

Quick Reply: West Virginia