Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

CA 78 & 74 - Weather help

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 308 Likes on 194 Posts
Default CA 78 & 74 - Weather help

Hello,

After looking on weather sites, and looking for webcams, I thought I might ask if there are some local Californians that ride [drive] Highway 78 & 74 this time of year.

I'm planning on riding through in the next couple of weeks, and just curious as to the highways condition.

I can't really find elevations on google maps, perhaps google earth, but hoping to avoid snow i.e. will not cross over to the coast is the weather / roads aren't motorcycle 'friendly'.

Thank you in advance.

H

Last edited by HFS; 01-05-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Added Picture
Old 01-05-2017, 10:32 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

78 will be largely wonderful, country road driving at reasonable altitudes. 74 can get up there. You can use Google "my maps" and create a map and show the map in several base maps - one of which is terrain - which will allow you to see the relative altitude. Google earth will give you accurate altitude.

There's a trick with California mountains. If it hasn't rained and it's not in the forecast, the mountain roads dry up in a couple days or less - so you don't need to deal with ice and only have to deal with the colder air. The 74 goes near Idyllwild so you can check weather there for reference.

With So Cal getting 300+ days of dry weather a year (or whatever it is) - your odds are good. Bring layers, expect some cold and otherwise it should be a fun ride. It will be like summer for our Canadian friends :-)

The following users liked this post:
HFS (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:42 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior

Oh one other thing - the 74 you mention is over Ortega Highway (Mission Viejo to Lake Elsinore) - I thought you meant the "Palms to Desert" section. Ortega goes over a low mountain range - snow would be extremely rare on the roads there.

HFS (01-06-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:52 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

They have been some heavy reins recently. So watch firvloose gravel in the turns. It only shows in the mounts is you will be good no through if a storm brings rain to the entire area, and this is usually well predicted. Typically the 7 day forecast is acurate to know if we are expecting rain, but may accurately predict if the rain will fall as snow in the mountains. But, IMHO...I wouldn't want to ride those areas even if it is just rain, as they are very twisty, minimal shoulders, and California drivers are terrible in the rain.

HFS (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 03:02 PM
HFS
Club Member

Thank Guys.

I'll try to work with Google maps a bit more.

Hotels are booked. Flights are booked.

H

Old 01-06-2017, 05:40 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior

Sweet! A couple of things if you have the time.

The route from the 5 and 74 down to the 78 can be a bear for traffic - but it will be a lot of nice coastline to check with both a rest area and a separate scenic view point in between. The 78 from the 5 to the 15 will be rather boring but then it gets nice and fun real quickly after that.

One other thing I might suggest - the path from Oceanside to Torrey Pines is a great stretch for bikers - a few cool towns like Carlsbad and Encinitas. You would not regret going to Torrey if in the mood. Doesn't take you too much out of the way from 78.

HFS (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 08:09 AM
HFS
Club Member

Thanks again Jessie,

For Clarity - I'll be coming in from the Salton Sea [Feel like it'd be cool to check out].

Staying in Carlsbad, then heading back to LVNV Via Rancho Cucamonga to check in with Joe from ***** Shiney.

Quick [4 day] weekend ride. it is -27C here today. seems like perpetual winter. I don't believe Leonardo Decaprio's analysis of the planet. At least not today...

Have a good one. Looking forward to some riding, hoping for nice weather.

H

Old 02-25-2017, 12:08 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

OP~

Have you done your trip yet?

Old 02-27-2017, 08:37 PM
HFS
Club Member

Hello,

Yes I did. I actually did three weekend FnR trips. First one was probably the best. Did the ride mentioned above. Rode From Vegas via VOF State Park to Laughlin. Lots of rain. LOTS.

Next day headed south of Laughlin, hitting Oatman as a detour. For some reason didn't remember Cool Springs. Oops. Hit that on a later ride...

Rode down on the AZ side to Needles. Really if your in this neck of the woods - hang to the original Rt 66 to the East or stay on the Nevada side. [I did the 66 on the same third FnR].

Rode into the desert on US 95 south of Needles. Gassing up in Vidal Junction. I needed to add octane boost there. The 124 S&S was getting not the best milage, probably as I was riding like an ***. I rode to the west on 62, branching south onto 177. Fuel again at Chiriaco Summit - The General Patton museum. turned south to loop the Salton Sea at the Box Canyon Road.

Continued round the Salton Sea and enjoyed the views and dry warmth. Gas again in Westmoreland, and after being waived through the border station turned immediately left [west] onto 76. A little straight to start but then started getting into a good speed versus sweeper rhythm until I ran into the state troopers. Yeah I was going fast, but they were diverting traffic for a mudslide that occoured futher up the road. This was just before Julian.

Thank you Garmin for the detour feature, I hit the button and off I went finding the San Fillipe road. I kept going and kept smiling down Highway 76 with my final destination in Carlsbad for the evening.

I really liked the self serve beer place - Barrel Republic, I don't know if it is a chain or not, but it was quite busy on the Saturday night. I took in the local irish pub as well, as the food seemed to be delayed and I was only out for dinner and a "few" beers. Oops.

The Next day going through my pretrips I hit the LED Level indication on the oil - none registered. I pulled the dipstick and there was some on the hashmarks on the back, but I wanted to get some oil in soon. Luckily - I had Temecula HD on the route, so I would stop in, add a quart and be good to go.

I left without raingear, but was cursing that decision as I pulled it on feverishly under an overpass. I made it to Temecula HD without incident and they gave me some oil for free. I didn't need a quart, and space was a little tight. The oil was a half quart remaining. A thank you to them as they were good to visit with.

I was not looking forward to the rain, and was ready for some beers, I put the hammer down and kicked lane splitting *** via the Interstate. It was wet, cold and unpleasant, but it was still riding in January. I got the motorcycle to the sotrage place and had 'er tucked in for another two weeks [when I'd return for FnR #2].

I did the usual tourist Vegas thing and built a hangover and gave them a couple hundred on roulette and craps. I was on a pretty good high riding in the winter - but this was the best ride of the three.

I can keep typing, but perhaps later. I'd have to look if I have some pictures...

Old 03-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like some great riding....this time of year is always hit or miss in SoCal. Usually February/March are the rainy months, if we get rain. I do a lot of riding in the area and plan on getting back up to Julian. Near Julian is a favorite place I like to stop for a beer and burger, The Hideout Saloon on 76, though someone told me it closed. That would be too bad because that place has some history. Safe rides....