Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

First HD for cross country trip

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,506 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by jchd1
You are right about the weather but also as you say I just want to go for it. Quotes for shipping have been about $800.
True, but I'm assuming that you'll also be returning to your home so you'll also have to include those costs.

Please let us know how this trip works out.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:42 AM
papayak
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't mind the cold then you can go about any way you want but keep in mind some of the fun roads up through some areas may still be snowed in... unless you really need to preplan everything I would just plan a few loose possible routes and then let weather and mood dictate which way you point that sucker

Old 02-03-2017, 09:52 AM
jchd1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
True, but I'm assuming that you'll also be returning to your home so you'll also have to include those costs.

Please let us know how this trip works out.
Because this is a delivery to my daughter I'll be flying home using air mile rewards.

My wife suggested some of kind of trip blog but I will keep folks posted on my progress.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:53 AM
jchd1
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by papayak
If you don't mind the cold then you can go about any way you want but keep in mind some of the fun roads up through some areas may still be snowed in... unless you really need to preplan everything I would just plan a few loose possible routes and then let weather and mood dictate which way you point that sucker
Good advice.

Thanks.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:48 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

1) make sure you look at average low temps for late may for the high elevations on your route, I rode to Phoenix via 66 lat year in late spring and the early morning temp in Gallup was freezing. Those of on the east coast do not get the weather moderation provided by the Gulf Stream. The only thing between here and the artic is a 3 strand barbed wire fence and 2 strands are down.
2) for luggage on a sporty I'd use saddle bags (cheap, call her and ask plain, conchos or studs), a Saddleman classic tail bag and a magnetic tank bag. The saddleman sits low over the rear seat thus keeps weight low. The tank bag helps block wind flowing up and around the tank and is handy to hold money, laptop, electronic farkles and passport. It makes it easy to take in the diner at lunch and leave your dirty socks on the bike for the thief. The Saddleman can be checked and I use the largest Nelson Rigg tank bag which fits under an airplane seat.
If you want something more throwaway you can get cyclegear Bilt brand nylon luggage , all three pieces for $85. I bought some as throw away and still have them since it will not die. If you need advise on other luggage I might be able to help, I'm a bag ***** first class. I have all the Harley luggage, ditto Kriega and some of almost every other name brand. I fly an bike a lot so I'm up to date in the lack of items that transition smoothly between fly and ride.
3) daily miles - I do 1000 miles days on an interstate but 2 lane roads make 600 miles a long day. You are bound to take a few shots to the back on that LR on Midwest potholes in may.