Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

WY Hwy 191 and 89

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 05:06 AM
Salmo pass
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Default WY Hwy 191 and 89

If I travel Hwy 191 going towards Jackson heading west and before Jackson go onto Hwy 89 towards Idaho will need to pay park admissions? Would like to travel around the bottom of Teton nat park from Cody WY and would like to avoid the 25.00 charge if just passing through.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:52 AM
gtmalone
Tourer
Received 187 Likes on 119 Posts

Both sections of those roads are inside Yellowstone. You'll have to buy a pass. Yellowstone is a great place! Take some time to see it if you haven't already.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Salmo pass
If I travel Hwy 191 going towards Jackson heading west and before Jackson go onto Hwy 89 towards Idaho will need to pay park admissions? Would like to travel around the bottom of Teton nat park from Cody WY and would like to avoid the 25.00 charge if just passing through.
Do you mean riding down through Riverton from Cody and then toward Jackson? If you make a left turn at Moran and head south to Jackson there is no fee. From Jackson you can head over Teton Pass into Idaho. If you find yourself heading over Teton Pass to Idaho in late afternoon, traffic will likely be a pita.

Last edited by mtgriz; 02-01-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:01 PM
Salmo pass
Cruiser

Actually coming north from pine dale on 191 left on Hwy 89 and than running right on Hwy 26. It looks like to me these roads are going to be outside the park. I have no idea what the traffic will be like during the third week of aug. maybe we are better off turning around at Cody and re riding the bear tooth pass in the other direction heading north.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:09 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody it is awesome

Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by leon anthony
don't miss the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody it is awesome
..and if you are so inclined, you can rent a Gatling Gun and shoot stuff up....

Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Actually coming north from pine dale on 191 left on Hwy 89 and than running right on Hwy 26. It looks like to me these roads are going to be outside the park. I have no idea what the traffic will be like during the third week of aug. maybe we are better off turning around at Cody and re riding the bear tooth pass in the other direction heading north.
All of that is outside the Park, so no admission.

I would suggest running up to Jackson, then go over the pass west of town on Hwy 33, then if you are still wanting to head West, over 31 towards Swan Valley. There is another pass there, and the road is nice and twisty. In the summer, and especially in the afternoon, the traffic will be busy. I did that route on Darla last summer.

There are a couple of nice road side coffee shops in Victor.

If you are going to re-ride over Beartooth Pass, I would suggest looping it through Chief Joseph pass. That is one fantastic road.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:26 PM
Salmo pass
Cruiser

Thanks rocky2 info I was hoping to find. We will take that pass and continue west. Heading to lolo pass. Thanks

Old 02-02-2017, 10:40 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Thanks rocky2 info I was hoping to find. We will take that pass and continue west. Heading to lolo pass. Thanks
Very Nice!

I would suggest this route. After Idaho Falls, head west through Craters of the Moon, then up 75 through Sun Valley and over the Galena pass and into Stanley, which is a really cool little town, then continue on 75 up towards Salmon, another cool little town, and onto Lolo.

I rode all those roads on "Journeys" last year.

Not sure where you are going after Lolo, but .... if you want to run a few "Bucket List" roads, head over to Lewiston, and south to Enterprise over Rattlesnake pass, then south to Joseph and through Hells Canyon.

If you are so inclined, you can pay homage to Chief Joseph in Joseph.

Again, I road all those roads last year.

You can scan through "Journeys" and see some picts to get a taste off all of that.

Old 02-06-2017, 02:29 PM
glider11
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I am thoroughly confused by your description of travel. I know one person says yes and one says no to your question. I have been looking at a map for some time trying to figure out where exactly you are referring to. 191 runs N and S for the most part, and where it intersects 89 in WY IS inside Yellowstone. If you are trying to get between Cody and Jackson, or West Yellowstone and Jackson then I recommend paying the money and cutting through Yellowstone. It isn't anything short of amazing. It has been my experience that if you get to the entrance gates by 9-10am you can scoot on through without being too hung up in traffic. Avoid the hot spots and don't stop for food/fuel inside the park. You can pull over and have a snack and keep on cruising. Good luck there are lots of great ride reports on this area if you search for them.

Stay safe
Glider

Quick Reply: WY Hwy 191 and 89