Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Lorton Va. to Nova Scotia

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 AM
dave713
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lorton Va. to Nova Scotia

We are planning on taking the autotrain from Florida to Lorton Va.Then head to Maine & Nova Scotia.We have 3 weeks for this trip,but what is a good route to bypass big cities like Phili,NY,Boston?Where are some good places to go between Lorton Va. and Cabot trail?Thanks

Last edited by dave713; 02-23-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 AM
PingJockey
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what time of day / day of week are you starting off in lorton, and how far off the path are you willing to go?

I live near Lorton. If you are not in a hurry, the first thing I would do would be to plan a route through Clifton and across Point of Rocks. Hopefully this link works:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lort...39.2758979!3e0

Some highlights:
- Henderson to Old Yates Ford are some of the oldest, and beautiful routes through the woods the area has to offer.
- This route takes you right through Bull Run Battlefield (or Manassas if you are a northerner).
- Evergreen Mills & rt 15 are nice wide, open wine country roads. I take Evergreen Mill because it is windier.
- In Leesburg, not far from the route in the link, there is a burger shop named Melt that was listed as the 7th best burger in the US. There's actually many good food stops on the route...
- Point of Rocks is the best way to cross the Potomac River. It's gorgeous, and traffic shouldn't be much of an issue (495 can be a horror show).
- Taking rt 15 to rt 30 has the advantage of bypassing DC and Baltimore. Philly too if you want.
- Right at 15 and 30 is Gettysburg. It's a cool place to stop. Also, the Pennsylvania countryside has some of the best riding around, though I am not an expert on the routes.

Last edited by PingJockey; 02-23-2017 at 08:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rockarosa (02-25-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:29 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Well you are starting just south of DC, so you are kinda stuck on I95. For my money, I would bite the bullet and high tail it from DC on 95 up to lets say Boston. Next day back on 95 thru Maine, then get off on Route 9 heading for a border crossing at Calais. That is where the party will start, amazing riding everywhere to be found. Nova Scotia and Cabot Trail well worth the effort to get up north.

Now I am sure others will have lots of other options for you, but that is how I would do it. Good luck and have fun.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:49 PM
PingJockey
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
Well you are starting just south of DC, so you are kinda stuck on I95. For my money, I would bite the bullet and high tail it from DC on 95 up to lets say Boston. Next day back on 95 thru Maine, then get off on Route 9 heading for a border crossing at Calais. That is where the party will start, amazing riding everywhere to be found. Nova Scotia and Cabot Trail well worth the effort to get up north.

Now I am sure others will have lots of other options for you, but that is how I would do it. Good luck and have fun.
I guess it depends if you want to enjoy the ride to the destination, or just get there quick and enjoy as much time at the destination. I'm usually more in the former camp, especially if I have 21 days to work with.

Really, all I'm saying is that you are only stuck on 95 if you are determined to get to Calais within two days, and if you start from Lorton on a workday, 95 will probably not be the quickest way to from DC past NYC.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

From what I've seen of that area, I wouldn't wanna be there on 2 wheels, but I HAVE ridden to Fredericksburg. If it were me, knowing what I know, I'd ride a half hour south on 95, to Fredericksburg, and then 17 north to interstate 66 west, to 81 north, then 81 all the way to Binghamton NY. From there, you can map your own route to New England. If you take 81 all the way up to Watertown NY, you can take route 3 to the Lake Placid area, and stop at Whiteface Mountain, and ride the gondola to the top. Then, there's a ferry at Fort Ticonderoga that'll take you across Lake Champlain, and into VT. You can decide what you wanna do, but that route will avoid DC, Baltimore, Phila, NYC, and Boston. 81 can get busy too because 81 & 95 are about the only 2 major north/south routes for trucks, but it's NOTHIN' like 95 would be from Lorton all the way to Boston. You'll run through some traffic lights on 17, for about the 1st 6 or 8 miles after you get off 95, but after that, it's smooth sailin', and you stop only when you wanna get off & take a stretch!

Old 03-07-2017, 05:52 PM
dave713
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like we need to see whiteface mt.on the way up.thanks for info

Old 03-07-2017, 05:55 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Whatever you do, stay away from anything with a I-*95 in it, and you'll be fine!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:54 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Whatever you do, stay away from anything with a I-*95 in it, and you'll be fine!
I strongly agree with this.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:12 PM
farmboy555
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I-95 👎👎👎

Old 03-11-2017, 11:16 AM
switchglide12
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Auto train will arrive at Lorton around 9 am by the time you pick up your bike and be on the road will be 9:30-10 am best time for DC area. Take I-95N to 495 towards Tyson's corner from there take 66 west to 15N. 15N will bring you in to PA have lunch and stop by Battlefield HD. If you are in the mood you can ride around Gettysburg and take the tour in York Harley Davidson factory. From York you take US 30E to route 222 all the way to Allentown PA take 209N to Woodstock NY stay for the night enjoy some good old music. From Woodstock NY you can pick any road going north or jump super slab. Enjoy your ride and be safe.

Quick Reply: Lorton Va. to Nova Scotia