Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rolling Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,622 Likes on 5,178 Posts

Make week of it if you can. So darn much good riding in the area. We stay in Gordonsville when we go about 90 mile quick ride in.
Enjoy a worthy trip no madder how you do it.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:51 PM
PrkChps
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ride of the Patriots out of Patriot HD in Fairfax on Sunday morning is well worth your time. Lots of supporters by the sides of the road, waving flags and cheering. Nice ceremony at the start, too. The ride takes you into the Pentagon lots. There, you will wait. How long depends on which lot gets released first. The last time I went, we did not move until after 2 PM, and there was a mad rush of bikes to get to the exit. A couple of bikes collided, with damage, due to impatient people cutting each other off. The ride itself is shorter than you would think, but very beautiful. I usually park on the Mall and walk to Thunder Alley afterwards, then take off mid afternoon. Plan your exit from DC. Bring a map! Don't depend on following anyone else into or out of DC. If you get separated, you will get lost. Lastly: Make hotel reservations early, and look for a hotel near a restaurant that is affordable. I usually stay about an hour away. Downtown hotels and restaurants are very pricey. Good luck.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:47 PM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Make week of it if you can. So darn much good riding in the area. We stay in Gordonsville when we go about 90 mile quick ride in.
Enjoy a worthy trip no madder how you do it.
This one caught me off guard.......when I picture Washington DC, I really don't picture any good riding.....now I was surprised to see the beginning of the Skyline Drive is only about 1.5 hours from there.

I think our plan is....ride in early, dropping the dogs off on the way....touristing around, doing the ride, rolling out of town, picking the dogs up and heading to Front Royal.

But who knows......initially my wife wasn't going along and it was just going to be a quick ride out for Rolling Thunder....she decided now she is going to ride along, so we'll turn it into hitting the Flight 93 memorial, Rolling Thunder, the mountains down to about Roanoke, the north back to Michigan.

If I can find a kennel near that Patriot Harley, we may make that ride in, heck depending on the weather, may just keep the dogs on the bikes.

Thanks for all the info.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Usmc3816
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 488 Likes on 482 Posts

I currently work in DC and there is a lot of good riding just a few miles from the Capital. A good exit plan is necessary as they are doing lots of construction and you may get jammed up if you take a wrong turn. But its a great experience and well worth the visit.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:06 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Sitting in the parking lot at Rolling Thunder is incredibly boring and usually very hot. There is no shade - bring water.

Skyline Drive is great as are most the rides an hour west of DC. There is an entrance fee to Skyline, however if you are 62 or older, you can buy the one-time US Park Pass that is good at any national park (its $ 10) for the rest of your life. Best deal ever.

This place is literally 5 minutes from Patriot Harley, though I have not used it personally.

http://www.montrosepethotel.com/#montrosepethotel

Old 04-11-2017, 05:17 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I will be working the Christian Motorcyclists Assoc (CMA) water wagon parked on the mall all day Sunday. Stop by, grab some cold water, and say hi.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:53 PM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

My girlfriend and I are considering going over there this year. It will be our first time.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:46 AM
harleyhusker
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife and I are planning a trip to the northeast states. We would like to experience Rolling Thunder and then head to Delaware, New Jersey, up to Maine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your help in advance.