Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Travel north from Wilber WA thru Colville Reserve

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Colville to Tiger on 20 is a nice ride. Then up to Nelway, Rossland and South. Or all the way to Grand Forks and south. Or reverse it.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't beat these maps for riding in the Pacific Northwest. All the best twisty's complete with mileages between points and turn count. They also have all the local stops and attractions as well as events calendar for all the local city's and towns. Call the dude up and he will send you a set, or you can find them free in most biker friendly spots in WA, OR, ID and Montana. Take a look. EW

http://www.comeridewithus.net/Home_Page.php

Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,247 Likes on 8,381 Posts

Originally Posted by turdlefxst
I would do Hwy 21, its a cool snakey rd down to the river, then ya catch the Keller ferry across... pretty sure its a free ride, operated by WSDOT. Then, a mile or 2 up the rd, there is a east route Manilla rd that will take you out to Elmer or Coulee city. I think its tribal rd, but its a fun back rd. Or keep going N on 21 thru Keller and take Cache Creek rd east to Nespelem, also a nice rd. Then if you drop south a mile or two, there is Columbia river rd, that will take you on west thru Omak Lake to Omak. ORrrrrr
Continue north on 21 to East on Bridge crk to Inchelium, there is also a ferry there if you want to cross the river again. ORrrr continue on north on County rd 3, to Hwy 20.
I can confirm all roads mentioned are paved, some better than others. But its all back roads, with not to many services in between. We love riding that area at least once a year.
Enjoy and Happy Trails...
I took the ferry last year (it`s free, BTW) when I followed Hwy. 21 north to Republic. `Went fishing on one of the many lakes and fast running streams accessed from side roads off Hwy. 21 south of Republic. It`s really beautiful country there and lots of wildlife. The deer in the side areas don`t seem to be afraid of humans, so I would guess there`s not much hunting there, but I was there during the summer. The above is a much more complete and in depth description of what I gave.......

Originally Posted by EricW
That is my back yard Sharkey. PM me your contact info and I'll put you on some good stuff, I type like old people. As Turdle mentions above, take 21 down to the Ferry9I helped build and launch that boat). Take the Ferry across and you are going north following the San Poil river. A few miles up you will see a left turn marked Manilla Creek, take it. You will go over a small pass to Hwy 155 on the Columbia below Grand Coulee Dam. Go right on 155 to Nespelem. Just past the store and gas station there is a left on Lower Columbia River rd (BIA RD 10), take it. This will take you along the Columbia for a ways then eventually by Omak Lake before dumping you back on 155 where you will go left past the sawmill to north on 97. You will pass through Omak going north to Tonasket. At Tonasket you could go left on 4th St. to a quick right on Highway 7 going north. A few miles up you will stay left on Loomis / Oroville Rd. That will take you past a few small lakes and into the town of Loomis where you will stay right going north. You will pass Palmer Lake then cross the Simikameen River and stay right. You will follow the river from there into Oroville.

From Oroville there are a few options depending on time and interest. Google the town of "Molson, WA". It is so cool if you are in to see how settlers lived in the 1800's. Lots of well preserved buildings, machinery, school house, tools, and more that you can walk through and touch. None of it is blocked off. I think its a must. From Molson you can head toward Chesaw and Chesaw Rd. This will take you west and down through the Beth lakes (really beautiful) and to a left onto Toroda Creek. Torroda will take you to into the town of Curlew. Great little coffee/snack stop at the intersection called "Tugboats". From there you can continue East on Boulder Creek rd. This will take you over the Boulder Summit and you will see the remains of the worst wildfire we had had in decades two years ago. The fire crossed the highway and it is something to see. This will drop you onto Hwy 395 where you can go north to Grand Forks or Castlegar, BC or South to Kettle Falls and a ton more options from there. Call me and I can fill you in from there. If available I would be glad to show you around or do the above loop with ya. The laser light show on the face of Grand Coulee is kinda cool if you want to plan to be there overnight. Lots of local options for fun stuff to see. Take Care. EW
I fished at Davis Lake N.E. of Republic, and the smoke haze from the fires screwed up the fishing a little (and that`s a deep lake at about 4000'), but we still caught some fish. `Went fishing just north of the Rt. 395 bridge crossing/Rt. 20 junction about five miles to Snag Cove Campground to fish that part of the Columbia River. We could see 2 and 3 foot long Northern Pike in the water just off the short pier, but they weren`t biting. My BIL who lives in Republic and fishes a lot, said it was because of the smoke which had drifted north from the fires, that caused the fish to not bite. He also said that the Pike had done a lot of damage to the Salmon fishing. I also noticed that there was a sign that said something to the effect that any Northern Pike caught that you wouldn`t keep should be killed and removed from the park, so bears would not be attracted.......

Originally Posted by sharkey
We've been thru Republic twice now on Hwy 20; last trip did 3000 miles of 5 NW states and largest city seen was Missoula...my kind of travel. Detest freeways; love 2-lane. I've got the full set of Butler maps now; they're a good start to the best M/C roads in the USA. The tour "group" is supposed to get together in April; I will keep your contact info and possibly ping you for details. Any don't miss sights or places to eat? Edna's in Davenport and Billy Burgers in Wilber look like possible local joints as we traverse west before heading north again...
If you want a great breakfast when you`re close to republic, go east a short way (5 miles?) on Hwy. 20 to Hwy. 21/20 junction. Here you`ll find Pine Grove Junction convenience store/restaurant for some fantastic "down home" fixins`. If you go away hungry, it`s your own fault. Also, there were bikes parked there every day I visited, which was for a week. If I had the money, I would own a cabin here for the summer, but I wouldn`t want to be here in the winter....

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 03-21-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Getting excited; had first "riders meeting" the other night; good riding weather has been slow arriving

Old 04-23-2017, 12:27 AM
EricW
Cruiser

The Centex gas station in Davenport bakes their own cookies and cinnamon rolls that are to die for. The cookies come in a sleeve of 10 and there are probably a dozen varieties. Good stuff. If you use the "Harley Trip Planner" site or .GPX files in your bike I could put you together a couple great trips for while you are here. Let me know. EW

Old 05-29-2017, 08:00 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Getting excited!
Goggle maps won't let me "plot" from Wilber north on 21 to Republic? Any idea why? About how far is it, time and mileage? Lots of scenic stops I hope?

Old 06-03-2017, 08:27 AM
EricW
Cruiser

Probably 30 minutes or so down to the Keller Ferry. After you cross the river it's an hour or so on 21 to Republic if you ride and don't stop. There are some cool views along the way and places you can get next to the San Poil river. Pack some drinks and snacks from Wilbur and stop along the way, I think you'll enjoy it. The ferry has been closed off and on for repairs lately. Better check before you go. Look at the link below.

Maps won't show it because a bridge washed out on 21 a month ago. It has a single lane fix that I have ridden a few times, its fine.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Regions/Eastern/Construction/

Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

In Tonasket have lunch or an ice cream cone at Shannon,s. On the west side of HWY 97 with a tree growing over the deck.

Old 06-03-2017, 01:02 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EricW
...Maps won't show it because a bridge washed out on 21 a month ago. It has a single lane fix that I have ridden a few times, its fine.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Regions/Eastern/Construction/
Thanks for the link. Good way to search for road issues in e.WA.