Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Florida Toll Roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 PM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Florida Toll Roads

I'm planning a trip to Key West next month and would like info regarding toll roads in Florida. 2 years ago we went to Destin and got on a toll road heading back north. We didn't have any type of passes and some places on the road had signs regarding tolls. Of 6 bikes one of us got a ticket in the mail for $4. What is the general policy on tolls in Florida? I figure we could get 10 of those tickets for what we'd spend on a Sun Pass and a minimal account balance. Would be be better off getting the passes? If it matters, plan is to run interstate from south Georgia to Tampa, ride the coast to Miami, the to Key West. Coming back, from Miami to St. Augustine, mostly along the coast. Then through Jacksonville and up.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

What you got was a toll by plate invoice. Google FDOT Toll By Plate. It'll explain it. The last one I got came 8 months after I came back from Destin.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:25 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

I don't like toll roads so I simply avoid them. Tax payer dollars pay to build the roads and then those same taxpayers have to pay a fee to have access to what they paid for? To me that's just fundamentally wrong.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 06:11 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I just go though the pay lanes and pay as I go. There's a bridge in Destin that's $4.
The Turnpike is usually just a couple dollars. No big deal.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Coming down I-75 to Naples you won't have any tolls. You will have a $3.00 one just south of Naples but the manual lanes are fast and easy. When you come back up north just use different major roads if you stay on the east coast of Florida.

We have a Leeway pass instead of the SunPass, but I don't use anything on my motorcycles down here.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

From my experience Florida has gone to a combination of pay as you go and also toll by plate.
If there is an attendant (toll collector) then you pay them.
If there is no attendant then the camera tries to read the plate and sends you a bill by mail with a processing fee to the address that plate is registered.
If you have luggage hanging off the back then the plate reader camera has difficulty in trying to identify your tag.
In regards to riding the coast...The EAST coast can get very congested and frustrating south of Fort Pierce.
I would avoid the east coast south of Fort Pierce unless there is some reason you must pass by that area during your travels.
Review your plans carefully because many folks also make the mistake of trying to take US1 from the end of I-95 to the start of the Keys and that is a terrible choice due to extreme traffic and congestion.
Basically, south of FT Pierce the traffic is really bad.
Your route is confusing because Tampa is on the west coast (Gulf) and somehow you will then be riding Miami (east coast).
You have the ability to create a really nice ride going south down the center of rural Florida from Tampa towards Everglades City which is located just off US Route 41 EAST. Everglades city has a nice food in a basket place on the river called City Seafood.
As you travel south from Tampa using secondary roads on the way to Everglades City you will pass near AVE MARIA town that was designed around the centrally located church that looks like a popes/bishop hat. Town started by Dominoes Pizza guy and major land owners.
Then continue south on State road 29 towards Everglades City for lunch.
State road 29 intersects with US Route 41 EAST.
Most of the males in Everglades City were arrested in the 80's for fishing square grouper...read about it online.
Then US Route 41 EAST is a rather nice two lane with NO traffic lights and several interesting stops possible.
Smallest post office, Joanie's Blue Crab Cafe (movie location), the free Gator viewing area, The real indian airboat ride on north side of the road near (a mile or two away) from Value Jet memorial.
Then Continue to 997/Krome SOUTH.
997/Krome SOUTH is a rural two lane road to start of the Keys with maybe 4 traffic lights in that 25 mile ride.
Upon return from Keys then take Turnpike North to Fort Pierce and ride the coast North.
It is possible to go north using nice secondary roads and go around the east side of Lake Okeechobee to Fort Pierce but it will take you more than twice as long.
From Fort Pierce you can ride the coast and near coast passing Melbourne (good beach pizza place on beach), Cocoa Beach (Ron Jon Surf Shop), Daytona, St Augustine (fort) and then grab some fresh seafood at one of the places just before you board the Mayport Ferry in Atlantic Beach, FL (Jacksonville) on your way home.
With such a route then you will NOT be exposed to tolls south of Tampa.
Only be on a toll road upon leaving the Keys for the start of Turnpike to Fort Pierce.

Last edited by im; 03-28-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:53 PM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks im; good info.

The purpose of going the Tampa route on the way down is to ride both coasts instead of going by the same route twice. Plan was to get over to 41 South around Fort Meyers and follow it across the everglades to 997 south. Heading home I was hoping to avoid the interstate in Miami and cruise along the beach a ways; sounds like that's a bad idea. I'll go ahead and plan on the turnpike to Fort Pierce before I run the coast; really need to get to St. Augustine in one day of riding. From there we'll head towards Valdosta and back to Alabama.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I don't like toll roads so I simply avoid them. Tax payer dollars pay to build the roads and then those same taxpayers have to pay a fee to have access to what they paid for? To me that's just fundamentally wrong.
Don't like toll roads either, but Tax dollars don't go to pay for toll roads. Some company pays for the road then reaps the benefit for years from the tolls. State gets a small piece of the pie. but its small. its the way a lot of states have gone since building roads has gotten so costly

Old 03-28-2017, 09:11 PM
user 48302
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get a suction cup mounted SunPass, stick it to your windshield and enjoy your ride

Last edited by user 48302; 03-28-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by eathomps
Thanks im; good info.

The purpose of going the Tampa route on the way down is to ride both coasts instead of going by the same route twice. Plan was to get over to 41 South around Fort Meyers and follow it across the everglades to 997 south. Heading home I was hoping to avoid the interstate in Miami and cruise along the beach a ways; sounds like that's a bad idea. I'll go ahead and plan on the turnpike to Fort Pierce before I run the coast; really need to get to St. Augustine in one day of riding. From there we'll head towards Valdosta and back to Alabama.
OK,
Consider go over the Sunshine Skyway bridge from Tampa south towards Sarsota.
The Sunshine Skyway is a very very very tall bridge that was built to replace the one a tanker broke (google it).
There is a toll.
Rather cool experience to cross it on a motorcycle.
Then go west on Manatee Ave after crossing and go south on Gulf Drive.
You can then ride south to Mar Vista Dockside restaurant 760 Broadway St, Longboat Key, FL 34228 ..a hidden place in a residential area that is on the intracoastal..a little pricey but stop for a beverage and use bathroom, take a look out back and walk on the dock..
It will be a nice ride along a very nice area.
After that stop continue south on Gulf drive.
For better pricing but a worse view with simple food eat at The Old Salty Dog - Family Restaurant 1601 Ken Thompson Pkwy, Sarasota FL.
Then cross over the Ringling causeway.
Not really worth riding the coast after that point.
So cross Ringling causeway
After about 10 miles 780 EAST/fruitville becomes rural.
Continue on 780 EAST/Fruitville RD and find your way to 70 EAST heading towards Myakka City and later ARCADIA.
It is a rural area until you reach small town of Arcadia.
In ARCADIA there is a Wheeler's Cafe that is a simple place to eat breakfast or lunch in their side porch but their bathroom is a pass.
Then continue on 70 east a little to pick-up 31 SOUTH
Take 31 south towards OLGA
Then 80 EAST towards Labelle to pick-up 29 south .
Off of 29 south is were AVE Maria town (church shaped like bishops hat) mentioned earlier will be found.
Parking is easy, church is really nice inside and out and church will have a bathroom inside in the back right.
Bar/eatery is across the street.
Then get back on 29 south towards Everglades city mentioned earlier for food in a basket on river if you need a place to eat or snack.
Then continue on 41 EAST for the stops and then then pick-up 997/krome SOUTH towards start of the keys.
It will be a very full day and you will probably want to overnight in Homestead at the end of 997/krome

Quick Reply: Florida Toll Roads