Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Central Georgia Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Central Georgia Day Trip

What a great day for riding in Central Georgia! Bright, clear day; temperatures starting in the 50's and up to the 70's. So I loaded up and left my home in Stockbridge, Georgia for a day trip to a couple of state parks, scenic roads, and historic towns.

First stop was Panola Mountain State Park, southeast of Atlanta, where the natural feature is a 100 acre granite monadnock (a fancy term for mountain I suppose). The leaves were in full splendor and the air was still crisp from the morning.

I seemed to be the only one visiting the park today, as most other folks were cueing up in the lines to vote on this Election Day.

Here's a photo from the Georgia State Parks website that shows a view from the top of the "monadnock". This is a state preserve, so you are not allowed to hike the mountain except during scheduled tours.

Next stop was the little town of Social Circle, best known as the location of the famous Blue Willow Inn restaurant. Southern Living magazine apparently called this restaurant "best of the south" or something like that. On weekends, pretty ladies dress in antebellum dresses and the buffet food is fantastic southern cooking. But not today - I have miles to cover and a limited budget, so my lunch plans look more like a convenience store.

So I stopped at a local diner and got lunch to go. Then headed east to Hard Labor State Park. This wonderful Georgia State Park boasts a golf course, camping, cabins, and a great lake for small boats and fishing.

Even my store-bought BLT sandwich seemed gourmet in the fine autumn setting of the picnic area!

After a two-hour lunch that included some study time for this week's sermon, I packed up and continued east to Madison, a small town that apparently Sherman missed in his famous march to the sea. The town is filled with coffee shops, quaint restaurants, and antique stores.

And of course, lots of old restored homes - classic!

From there, it was time to start meandering south towards home, so I took GA Highway 11, a State Scenic Highway through Mansfield and Jasper County. On the way, I stopped in to see the Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, a mecca for hunters, fisherman, and wildlife enthusiasts.

If I remember correctly, this vast acreage was given to the state (i.e. citizens) by its namesake and is a popular place with many lakes, fields, and wooded areas. The visitor center is modern and has some great information and exhibits.

So it was a great day to be out on the bike, enjoying perfect weather and terrific roads!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Twincam Dave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you had a great day in this fine state.Some good color in them leaves. Have fun Dave...

Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Great Photos! And I enjoyed the interesting locations of your journey. A day of cruising around like this, allows one to realize what a beautiful place we call home.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like you had a great day there. It got me out of my urban insanity for a few minutes. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
pastorralph
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice trip Pastor John. I spent some time around those same haunts when I was matriculating at THE University of Georgia. Social Circle and Madison looked like they had been forgotten by time in those days.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:57 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful pics! Nice ride you have there too!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Beautiful country Pastor. Love to read your threads and see your (my) bike in all those great locations. Keep the threads coming. You help make this forum a wonderful place to spend time off my bike.

God Bless,

Steve

Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are great photos Pastor John. I've been wanting to go to the Blue Willow Inn. My parents have eaten there and thoroughly enjoyed it. I ride horses sometimes over at Hard Labor Creek. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:04 PM
ironheaddave
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great pictures.

Makes me want to go for a little ride in the country.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 PM
doghair
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great post, thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Central Georgia Day Trip