Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning trip to Colorado next summer

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:57 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by clicker
It sure is great getting all this vital info. Will make the trip planning so much easier. I am sure we will see lots of beautiful scenery. Will have to take lots of pictures. Again thanks for all the information!!!!!!!!!!

Hey clicker, if you get there before us post up a report of your trip. Be interesting to know how your trip plans pan out.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
clicker
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will post some info and pictures when we return. The holidays are about over so there will be more time into planning this excursion. Makes it so much easier with all the help from this forum!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:45 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

+1 on this advice. My parents had a place in Breck for 20+ years (then one in Colo Spgs) and I know the areas pretty well. Don is right on the money. Staying in Frisco/Dillon/Silverthorne will give you a central base...avoid Denver.

Rather than Colo Springs...I'd go with Durango or Gunnison..maybe even Grand Junction. Just so much beauty all around those areas. I've done that loop from Breck (in a cage though...pre motorcycle days) to Aspen and back and it's a winner. As beautiful a state that Colo is, my personal favorite area is the SW Corner...eye-candy deluxe. Colo Springs is nice, but you'll get more bang for your buck the closer you get to the SW part of the state.

Couple of tips...be prepared for some snow...yes snow, esp on the passes. It can happen anytime. Very well may not, but you need to have heated/cold weather/rain gear at the ready. It usu rains each afternoon for a few minutes. Also, don't try to crank out miles and miles each day...you'll miss so much. 200 - 250 miles can be plenty if you take time to enjoy the scenery, take plenty of pictures and enjoy a relaxing lunch on an outside patio. If your intent is to crank out the miles, you'll miss a big part of the reason for riding in such a beautiful place. I'm sure you know this, but riding in the mountains and over passes means you'll be lucky to get out of 3rd gear so planning on 400 miles in a day can be grueling. Not to mention, you'll likely get stuck behind an RV or 2 or 25 on some of those twisty mountain roads! It'll be peak tourist season.

Sounds like a great trip!

Originally Posted by CruzN
I ride Colorado every summer in July. I stay in Breckenridge and do rides out of there. I like the Frisco / Dillon area and if we didn't have a place in Breckenridge I'd stay there.

check out this link for a suggested route Maps

I personally like the area west of Denver and South of I-70.
You have so many options that it's hard to pick one.
This past summer we stayed in Breckenridge and did one over night to Utah to see Arches National Park. Wouldn't to that again in July <grin>

I like riding the passes. Independence is my favorite, we ride from Breckenridge to Leadville then over it to Aspen for lunch then back the same way. But take a different route from Leadville to Breckenridge. Makes for a good day ride from Breckenridge. Just on I-70 West out of Frisco for about 15 miles then take the highway 91 south into Leadville, coming back you take hwy 14 north out of Leadville up to I-70 the east 30 miles back to Frisco. This way you get two more passes for a total of three in one day.

Then we rode from Breckenridge down to Gunnison and thru the Black Canyon of the Gunniess. Another good days ride.

Then we rode from Breckenridge down to Fairplay and thru South Park Basin over to Royal Gorge. Another good days ride.

Check out my site Photo Gallery click on Colorado for pictures.

Last edited by monstead; 12-30-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM
clicker
Advanced

We plan on seeing lots of sights-200 miles a day is good-The whole reason for going is to see all the beautiful scenery that Colorado offers. The lunch on the patios is a good suggestion. I am sure we will find a place to get great food as well as a cold beer. Thanks for you suggestions!!

Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Alibey
Cruiser

+1 on not setting up a base here in the Springs. Highway 24 west from here gets backed up with people trying to get into the mountains in the morning and then returning in the evening. Now 115 south from here to Canon City is a good ride and takes you to the Arkansas valley.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:42 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,322 Likes on 8,539 Posts

You might want to take a look at this HD Touring Forum link as well.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-colorado.html

Old 12-22-2014, 11:44 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Do a search on this forum for "sfarson" and check out his videos and routes all over Colorado. Places to stay, eat, see along the way.

DOH! Just looked at original post dates.... Oops! [red faced...]

Last edited by tphillips; 12-22-2014 at 11:46 PM.