Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

PCH from LA to Seattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Indy Road Dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PCH from LA to Seattle

I'm planning to ride he PCH from LA to Seattle next spring. I was looking for information on must see/do along the way. Average speed through certain areas. I wasn't sure where it slows down due to congestion/high population areas and heavy traffic lights. Best restaurants, best places to stay, best sections of road, etc. How long will it take if we take our time, generally stay on the PCH without too many side trips (just for the really must sees close by). Thanks.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:24 AM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's our big trip for next year also. i won't hijack your thread by talking about our plans, but for sure will be watching your thread for ideas. have a good one trip and keep us posted!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Big Sur!

I've only ridden PCH as far north as Monterey, CA.

Be ready for some wild temperature swings. A 40 deg swing in a mile or two isn't uncommon.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Last time I rode the PCH was in 1998, first time on the west coast. Make sure to check that no mud slides have blocked the highway. As stated before Big Sur was very impressive, Monterey had some great places to eat but were a little pricey, Pier 19 in San Francisco was interesting and we were able to see San Quentin. From there we went to Fresno and up to North Fork so that would be out of your way but the Yosemite National Park was a must do when I went. We camped and stayed at military hotels so i'm no help there, Have a safe trip!

Old 11-28-2010, 11:43 PM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll have some spectacular scenery for sure! I would think 6 hours riding out of LA should get you to Big Sur. If you don't want to push it you could stop in Cambria or closer to the Hearst Castle at San Simeon for the night then continue fresh for that stretch leading to Monterey. Monterey is kind of pricey but worth a day for sight seeing. Then continue up past Santa Cruz all the way to SF. Either stay in SF or stay in Pacifica for the night then spend the day in SF. Continue across the Golden Gate through Stinson Beach, Drakes Beach etc. You can probably find some little b&b's to spend the night along the way. Give me a pm when you head out, maybe I can ride a little ways with you.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:52 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lots of small towns with low speed limits

but lots of fairly open highway. Speeds vary between 25mph through some small towns to 65mph on some open stretches. Take cold weather riding gear since the Oregon coast can get pretty cold and damp (even in the middle of the day but especially at night) The logging truck drivers in Oregon are pretty aggressive too and will ride right up your *** if you let them. Be sure to have a camera ready because some of the small towns have some really neat old buildings and some folks have turned old gas stations into homes.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 AM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We did that ride in reverse Seattle to LA in the summer of 2009. It's a great ride lots to see but watch your speed in the small towns on the Oregon coast. Don't ask me how I know. Traffic tickets are a major source of revenue for those small towns.
The weather in the spring can be cold and wet so be flexible on your route you may way want to move inland if the coast is too wet.
As for highlights Big Sur, Bodega Bay, The Redwoods, be sure to get off the 101 just north of Garberville and take The Avenue of the Giants it runs parallel to HWY 101 for 40 miles or so and you are riding through a cathedral of big Redwoods. We also spent a day in Florence OR and went on a dune buggy ride that was a blast.
Time your trip to avoid San Francisco traffic during rush hour we got up early and we went over the Golden Gate at 5:30 am.
There is some great riding in Washington as well but most of HWY 101 is inland from the coast and you can’t see the coast for most of it and again the weather is factor.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM
VTK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will enjoy every moment. But like others have said and I will say... be ready for some very strange weather changes. Hot to cold - dry to wet. . .be ready for anything.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have wanted to drive US routes 6, 20, 50, 66 cross country and the PCH. A good book to start planning is "Road Trip USA".

http://www.roadtripusa.com/