Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

From Italy to the USA and Canada on a motorcycle, what do I see absolutely ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM
alberto.italy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From Italy to the USA and Canada on a motorcycle, what do I see absolutely ?

Hello everyone,
I would like to make a trip to the USA and Canada, sending the motorcycle by ship from Italy, then take a trip to at least 3 months.
What are the things that you think I must absolutely see or visit in the USA and Canada, and in what month of the year?
Let's say 20 things in 10 or 15 in the U.S. and Canada, and all places to get a road bike, so no off-road.

Please write in English very educational and easy otherwise I can not fully understand.

Many thanks to you and a hug to all

Alberto

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Look up Hoka Hey, follow last July route and try to follow this years route that shou;ld cover everything, I would start at end of May. I visit your country a couple times a year, you will fit in here in Miami the way you guys ride/drive jijijiji. Rode to Lake Como Aug 2009 did a week long 4000 mile trip through the Alps to Normandy.

Originally Posted by alberto.italy
Hello everyone,
I would like to make a trip to the USA and Canada, sending the motorcycle by ship from Italy, then take a trip to at least 3 months.
What are the things that you think I must absolutely see or visit in the USA and Canada, and in what month of the year?
Let's say 20 things in 10 or 15 in the U.S. and Canada, and all places to get a road bike, so no off-road.

Please write in English very educational and easy otherwise I can not fully understand.

Many thanks to you and a hug to all

Alberto

Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you examine tourism, topographical & road maps of North America, you can envision where the more interesting riding will occur (mountains, for me). Northernmost and higher elevations not so good in winter. Southernmost not so good in summer. All the popular tourist sites (National Parks like Yosemite, monuments,...) should be easy to find on the net. Given 3 months (or more), you could do a fair job of seeing the entire west coast, from Mexico to Alaska, plus cross the continent.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 PM
farmerstu
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for sure Yellowstone via beartooth pass and chief Joseph highway
black hills of south Dakota including mt. Rushmore and crazy horse monuments
pacific coast highway and redwoods national park
the grand canyon and hoover dam
the southeast united states has a lot of beautiful scenery and great roads for riding but most of the things totally unique to the u.s. are west of the Mississippi river.
also you will find the nicest people in the least populated places.
hope you have a great trip

Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You could probably spend at least a week in every state in the USA. That'd take a whole year though. If you can get over to CA the Pacific Coast Hiway is probably the most beautiful and memorable road to travel. From the city of Ventura to to the Oregon border and beyond is some of the best landscape and seascape to visit. Yosemite National Park is a must see if you have time. Crater Lake Oregon is incredible. It probably depends on how much time you've got for each area that you want to travel to. Arpril thru June are probably your best months for most of the states.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default Where are you starting?

Happy New Year
It would help to know where you are starting and where you are ending your trip?

thanks

Attached Thumbnails From Italy to the USA and Canada on a motorcycle, what do I see absolutely ?-nellie-and-the-harley.jpg  
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM
badknees
Road Master
Old 01-03-2011, 03:14 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain

Originally Posted by badknees
I'd say tail of the dragon is one of the most fun rides I've been on. Not all that scenic, but if you can ride that I bet you won't have a chance to sight see anyway. That's definitely a peg scraper. The surrounding area in the Smoky Mountains are beautiful. Defiantly visit The Grand canyon, Rocky mountain Nat part outside of Estes Colorado, Pikes Peak in Colorado springs. Independence Pass between Colorado spring and Glenwood springs. The Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Las Vegas for fun. The Black hills and Badlands of South Dakota are worth seeing. I live in florida where the closest thing to a hill or twisty is the on ramp to the interstate, so I like to head to the mountains.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Personally, I would ride down from Maine running through Gettysburg Pa, then further south to catch the Blue Ridge Parkway which will then take you into the Smokey Mountains. From there I would gravitate northward scoot over to South Dakota to the Sturgis/Deadwood area and see Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and a few of the great rides in the area. Then head west to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Come out on the south side, ride the Flaming Gorge southward into Colorado and catch hwy 50 west to the coast. See the Sierra's, Death Valley, the Redwoods and Sequoias, ride the Pacific Highway then come back east on I-40, catching old Rt 66 where you can. You can veer off southward in Arizona to Tombstone, ride the expanse of Texas west to east, stop in the Big Easy (New Orleans), ride up to Nashville, Memphis, then head down to Florida via Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia and when in Florida keep heading south to the Keys. Time up yet???? LOL

Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

If you are in western Canada,,, Alberta. You should ride hwy 93 from Banff to Jasper.
Beautiful mountain scenery!!!!

Quick Reply: From Italy to the USA and Canada on a motorcycle, what do I see absolutely ?