Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Gulf Shores AL

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:22 AM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gulf Shores AL

Are there any "MUST DO's" while in the Gulf Shores area.... rides, sights, eats, etc......

Old 08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Haven't been to Gulf Shores in a few years, but we used to vacation there almost every year. I'd recommend riding out to Ft. Morgan and checking out the old fort. I don't know if history does anything for you but I always thought that place was pretty cool and the ride out there was scenic. You could even hop on the ferry there and check out Dauphin Island. While on the topic of history I'd also recommend a quick trip over to to NAS Pensacola to check out the National Museum of Naval Aviation, that place is really cool. Lots of displays and planes to check out. A good place to hang out and get a drink or people watch is the Floribama Lounge on the Florida/Alabama state line. That place was always popular.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:31 PM
bamarider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kajunkruzer
Haven't been to Gulf Shores in a few years, but we used to vacation there almost every year. I'd recommend riding out to Ft. Morgan and checking out the old fort. I don't know if history does anything for you but I always thought that place was pretty cool and the ride out there was scenic. You could even hop on the ferry there and check out Dauphin Island. While on the topic of history I'd also recommend a quick trip over to to NAS Pensacola to check out the National Museum of Naval Aviation, that place is really cool. Lots of displays and planes to check out. A good place to hang out and get a drink or people watch is the Floribama Lounge on the Florida/Alabama state line. That place was always popular.
Museum in Pensacola is a must. Just make sure you have the proper gear on to get in the gate. They would not let me in with short sleeves. Had to put on the jacket. Floribama Lounge has great shrimp and also a great stop. Ride the east coast of Mobile Bay. Great ride! Mobile has some good things to see like the USS Alabama and Belingrath gardens. Have fun!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:56 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bamarider
Museum in Pensacola is a must. Just make sure you have the proper gear on to get in the gate. They would not let me in with short sleeves. Had to put on the jacket. Floribama Lounge has great shrimp and also a great stop. Ride the east coast of Mobile Bay. Great ride! Mobile has some good things to see like the USS Alabama and Belingrath gardens. Have fun!
Yep, I forgot about the USS Alabama. Very, very interesting.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

Lamberts Cafe "Home of the throwed rolls" is a must......Located in Foley Alabama, just minutes from the coast. Bring your appetite and your catchers mitt. FT

Old 08-12-2011, 05:12 AM
opiyone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fathertime500
Lamberts Cafe "Home of the throwed rolls" is a must......Located in Foley Alabama, just minutes from the coast. Bring your appetite and your catchers mitt. FT
Lamberts is some good southern food. Last time I was there they didn't take debit/credit cards so make sure to have some cash. They did have an ATM inside. Oh yea and bring a very large appetite because they aren't stingy with the food.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Big +1 on the naval air museum on the NAS base, and it was free when I was there. Not sure what the other poster was talking about as far as a dress code, you can wear whatever you want, but you do have to go through a security point manned by naval MP's or whatever they call them. Take a ride over the bridges to Pensacola Beach and ride the Gulf Islands National Seashore, it is spectacular. Hopefully it is cleaned up by now. I was there back in 2005 and they had hardly even begun cleaning up after a hurricane that hit the prior September. Pretty scary seeing all the high rises with huge portions of them just torn off.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
Big +1 on the naval air museum on the NAS base, and it was free when I was there. Not sure what the other poster was talking about as far as a dress code, you can wear whatever you want, but you do have to go through a security point manned by naval MP's or whatever they call them. Take a ride over the bridges to Pensacola Beach and ride the Gulf Islands National Seashore, it is spectacular. Hopefully it is cleaned up by now. I was there back in 2005 and they had hardly even begun cleaning up after a hurricane that hit the prior September. Pretty scary seeing all the high rises with huge portions of them just torn off.
What I was referring to is the main gate at the base. I road up to the gate and I was not allowed to enter because I had a short sleeve shirt on. Had to put the jacket on to pass and then no issues.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
hdbe
Road Master

gonna have to look into this one to see what we can wear to get it....

all the ideas sound good so far...kep em comming.....

Originally Posted by bamarider
What I was referring to is the main gate at the base. I road up to the gate and I was not allowed to enter because I had a short sleeve shirt on. Had to put the jacket on to pass and then no issues.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:25 PM
bamarider
Tourer

Check the schedule of the Blue Angels. They practice on the same base and you can watch the practice. Well worth it!

Quick Reply: Gulf Shores AL