Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 AM
bufftuff
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all the suggestions and inputs are helpful... Thanks

Old 04-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

Where are you coming into Canada? Are coming in from Montana to Alberta and then north to Jasper? You are welcome to spend the night, if it works out. Some other members have stopped in for the night on their trip. PM me If you want to see if it may work, and I'll suggest a route that I would take.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:01 AM
flhshvlhed
Novice

As stated - a Milepost would be very beneficial, however, it is a somewhat large magazine, but not very thick. It has practically everything that there is to do in AK. I also brought a road atlas w/ me, and kept track of the route that I took w/a highlighter.

Also - I would look into the ferry system coming back. http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ You can catch it out of Valdez or Homer on your way back. Homer is at the end of the road, and would be a nice place to catch it. While in Homer, be sure to stop by the Salty Dog Saloon. In '05, it ran about $1K for me, the bike, and sleeping on the fantail on a chaise lounge. It's run by the AK Trans Dept, and has food, a bar and an AK Trooper on there as well.

Also - I would encourage you to go through Banf National Park - it's just N of Bonner's Ferry, ID. Unbelievable scenery.

If you're going to be camping, I would bring a light sleeping bag that's good to about 40deg or so. It can get a little chilly at night. I also brought a small stove and pot, and would stop and make a quick meal, if I didn't eat at a resturant. Every few days, I would get a hotel room, for a shower and a break from camping.

Gas is available - but I would make sure to fill up at practically every station, while on the ALCAN. I had a 1gal can in my saddle bag, just in case - it was never needed. Regular was all that was available - but I've never run my bike on anything else, so there was no problem.

Be sure to bring a good camera and possibly a small computer to keep track of where/what you did/DL your photos/check email. Also - I would bring a small tripod. I did that ride in '05 by myself, and had a blast!! I spent 32 days (11k miles) on the bike, and went AK/FL/AK, via VA and Sturgis.

Oh - be careful for buffalo and caribou in CA. I almost hit a caribou, while in the middle of nowhere - that was exciting. There's one part of the ALCAN that I've seen buffalo on the side of/middle of the road, both times that I've went through there.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:16 AM
bucko713
Advanced

Got to have a passport these days