Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tennessee in June

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 AM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 339 Likes on 175 Posts
Smile Tennessee in June

Thinking about heading down to Tennessee in late June or July. Pigeon Forge area. About a 10 day stay. Is Pigeon Forge a zoo that time of year and how busy are all the great riding roads. I was down there last October and fell in love with the area. Great riding and the golf wasn't bad either. Probably going to rent a cabin for a home base and ride the hell out of every direction. Any advice would be welcome. Good places to eat, Things to see and places to avoid . Thanks
Slughill

Old 02-16-2013, 02:50 PM
whitmw
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The local traffic will be bad in Pigeon Forge itself but once you get out from the tourist traps you should be fine. I would be selective in the cabin you rent as some tend to be on the sides of mountains and getting to them can be a chalenge on a bike. Of couse the tail is a short ride from there. Cades Cove is pretty nice but a slow ride around the loop.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Tensman
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pigeon Forge area is an absolute zoo in June/July time. Don't even think about Cades Cove unless you like going 5 mph - stop- 5mph, repeat in bumper-bumper traffic for 11 miles. Better to stay in Townsend or Maryville. Ride Foothills Parkway, Cherohala, Blue Ridge Parkway, and NC roads like hiway 28 down to Highlands, NC. Eat good BBQ at Rib Country in Murphy, NC. Do hiway 209 between Lake Junaluska, NC, and Hot Springs, NC. Just my $0.02. I live about 15 miles from the Dragon (do it too but only on weekdays, not weekends in summer!).

Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,022 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Buddy and I headed down last week of June, riding from Gettysburg area probably down BRP to Tail-- plan on leaving Gettysburg on Sunday and that would put us at Tail Tues or Wed depending on weather and roads we take[no hurry]-we have from June 22-July2nd would like to ride the area around NC and Tenn [smokies] -seeing Maggie Valley and Gatlinburg -interested in same input as OP--[not hi jacking]---Rocker

Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

The area is nice, Pigeon Forge itself is a Honky Tonk destination.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Check out American Rides Maps. All the good rides around the Smoky's. Fat Buddies Ribs in Waynesville N.C. Mount Pisgah Inn right on the Parkway is a nice place to stay, plus a good restaurant.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:20 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out Wheels Thru Time museum in Maggie Valley.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM
slughill
Road Captain

Thanks Guy's. Wheels thru time is a must see for me. I was kinda thinking about staying in Maryville to avoid the circus of pigeon forge. still close enough to visit. I have been on the net looking at cabins and they can be hard to get to. Hate to go all the way down there and stay at a Holiday Inn , I can do that here. I imagine it can get quite warm there in june/july, it can be mid 90's here.
Slug

Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM
slughill
Road Captain

I bought myself a Go Pro for christmas with this trip in mind. just gotta figure out how to use and mount it on a ultra? Should get some great footage.getting pumped.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

We ate at a place in PF called Bullfish Grill. Great steak. I rented a cabin in Occtober for ten in PF but it was right above Dollywood. Probably not good in the summer. Nice cabins. They were advertised on the TOTD website. I made sure they were motorcycle friendly for access and parking. Three nights cost us $106 each.

Quick Reply: Tennessee in June