Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding in snow conditions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in snow conditions

I am putting together a solo ride from Las Vegas, north through Pahrump, NV and on into Death Valley this late November, early December.
From DV up highway 395 north to Bishop on the eastern front of the Sierra mountain range, and then back east into Nevada and up to the Carson City area, via the CA/NV state borders at Topaz Lake.

That time of year, snow could be an any day occurrence in the higher elevation sections. This route avoids the really high areas and a couple of passes that reach 8000' elevation.

I have never ridden in a snowfall before or snow on the roadway. I just would like to get an idea of what I am facing if it does start to snow and sticks to the roadway.

Other than going slow, what other tips can I use to navigate safely?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

if it's sticking to the road, pull over you're screwed. if it's snowing and the road is just wet, press on.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:35 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

I have seen DA's riding in snow and fog over the years. I would suggest getting a revolver and removing one bullet and spinning the chamber, you know the rest. You will stand a better chance with that "game" Are you really planning high alitude, long trip in November or just Trolling?

Old 10-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Agree. All is good until it starts to stick to road. It can melt then refreeze as ice and snow. That is going to cause loss of tire and foot traction. And if you dump your bike you might not be able to get it back up, too slippery.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

I do most of winter riding on this ( It's set up for the ice )

Old 10-26-2013, 10:41 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
I have seen DA's riding in snow and fog over the years. I would suggest getting a revolver and removing one bullet and spinning the chamber, you know the rest. You will stand a better chance with that "game" Are you really planning high alitude, long trip in November or just Trolling?
Most of the route is high desert country.
I will avoid the high mountain passes.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:48 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by checkers
Oh, don't be such an Oscar Mayer...

Old 11-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Machinistes
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bonjour, it is wise to avoid snow condition of course. When I have to do it (almost yearly...), I substantially increase the weight of the bike (stone in the sidebag), and most important, I wait to catch and follow a big truck tire track (most truck drivers will slow down a little when they realized you are locked on). Winter tires are available for cold countries, but I never got that. Anyhow, you will need to stop and warm-up yourself every hour. In many places in Canada, they do some bike racing on frozen lake (legal ?), but this is only for intrépides! Not for me, thanks.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:26 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've ridden in it for a mile or two, but not by choice..

I was riding through Colorado in AUGUST in cold rain and as I made a slow, very tight 180 turn
into the town of Creede, there was about 1-2 inches of wet snow on the ground and I about
**** myself. No choice but to keep on going...

I was not a happy camper and I would not plan a distance ride where there was any significant
chance of hitting snow or freezing rain.. it's one thing to get caught out in freak conditions, it's
entirely different to make plans to do so..

Old 11-02-2013, 09:31 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The last time I intentionally rode in snow was in January 1966. I was 17 and rather stupid. But it was only a 305 Yamaha so what the hell. Oh yeah, I low sided it.

The next time I just hit bad weather on New Years day in 1989. I was on a '88 FLHTP and was very sorry I was risking a Harley to the fates. I never went down with the Harley but in the spring little rust spots were showing on the fenders at the bolts.

Now I really try to avoid both snow and salt. After a snow I won't ride until a good rain washes the salt off the road.

Having a KLR in the garage with real ***** helps cabin fever.

Quick Reply: Riding in snow conditions